Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Are low-carb diets unhealthy? - Dr. T. Colin Campbell

Options

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    It seems everything can lead to heart disease and cancer. What else is new?
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Everything in some shape form or fashion causes something or is a precursor to something or something else.

I could say "well not wearing a seat belt is just one of a thousand things that can lead to an early grave" but none of us are that foolish in practice. Instead, we all prefer to stack the deck in our favor.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Everything in some shape form or fashion causes something or is a precursor to something or something else.

I could say "well not wearing a seat belt is just one of a thousand things that can lead to an early grave" but none of us are that foolish in practice. Instead, we all prefer to stack the deck in our favor.

That's when you check how big the chance of something is. I don't usually walk through my neighborhood in fear of a mountain lion attacking for example.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    To over simplify, Dr. Campbell thinks too much protein is unhealthy. Therefor he would think LC diets to be unhealthy because they are high in protein, regardless if he is trying to sell you something. However, he is right about it is unhealthy when cutting out a majority of vegetables and fruit.

Medical Doctors do not equal scientist. They may read a great deal of studies, but that doesn't mean they are good at the scientific method or gathering empirical evidence. I don't see where Dr. Campbell gets his data, and why he's not on the forefront for research on this subject.

I support plant based diets, but I have been unimpressed with the facts Dr. Campbell gives against protein. It seems like wishful thinking to support an idea. Given that his ideas on protein are why he thinks LC diets are unhealthy; his reasons don't seem valid.

I do think Low Carb is basically a fad diet. I think most people on them correlate the diet with weight lose and don't look at the facts. I think low carb cuts out alot of junk food, processed foods and refined sugars. Also it helps with calorie restriction. I think anyone that eats this way is going to lose weight and eat healthier. I also think a LC diet is unhealthy if you cut out alot of nutritious and fibrous foods like vegetables and fruits. I think alot of people don't eat enough fiber and that is more important to focus on than protein (Because I think people easily get enough protein).

If Dr. Campbell had approached his view from the potential lack of fiber in a LC diet he would of made a more valid point. Since fiber:
    appears to reduce the risk of developing various conditions, including heart disease, diabetes, diverticular disease, and constipation.
    https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/carbohydrates/fiber/

• lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    fibre is overrated...
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    lodro wrote: »
    fibre is overrated...

Yeah. I think fibre is needed mainly to deal with carbohydrate digestion. Refined carbs are not healthful, IMO. Skip most carbs and fibre seems to be a non issue.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

:):) ^^^ this.

Or at least a study can be conducted that comes to the conclusion that anything is correlated to cancer risk, which will then be repeated with zero discussion on the local nightly news and people will worry about for about a month and then forget they heard it.
  • Delphino
    Delphino Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The key thing to keep in mind here is the term low carb applies to so many types of diets. Keto is classified as low carb, but it is also high healthy fats with moderate protein and its research has been around for many many decades. This diet has been a major player in saving countless lives and improving lives that are affected by epilepsy and various other diseases that are resistant to drugs. Paleo is low carb, but again there is more to the traditional Paleo diet than just limited carbs. You also have to take into account people who follow an actual low carb high fat protocol diet have blood panels that are amazing with rapid turnarounds in those panels.

Where people go off target with "low carb" is they look at eating as just that, limit or eliminate carbs with no thought to it. Real low carb diets do not get rid of the carbs, they adjust the eating to get the necessary carbs from leafy green veggies, nuts, etc.

I never try to put down a diet that has been through countless independent research studies, but I always come back to Alaska when I hear people discounting low carb. Eskimos have existed for generations with little to no carbs and have little to no heart disease, high cholesterol, strokes, high blood pressure, etc. You literally have an entire culture of people that didn't have access (until recently and even now fruits and veggies are very expensive) to carbs as we know it and live extremely long and healthy lives.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Actually, it is open to debate whether or not the Inuit and Yupik peoples had heart disease risk factors and heart disease before they were introduced to a Western-style diet. There was one Danish researcher who made that claim, based on what he knew about indigenous people in Greenland. But it seems he probably did not have very good sources of information.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Vegetables are healthy. You can even be LCHF vegan! Humans are capable of surviving on a variety of diets, I am sure someone who eats the SAD can have healthy bloodwork just as I have healthy bloodwork on Ketogenic eating. Before I even decided to dedicate myself to this eating style, I did some Googling in scholarly works to see what the hubbub was about.

Fat is essential to many processes in the body, especially hormone production and blood sugar regulation. I learned that even though unsaturated fats are touted as super amazing, they actually increased the risk of heart disease. While people from all walks of life can subsist healthily on LCHF, the people best suited for it are usually people with Insulin resistance, diabetic or pre-diabetic, and people with cholesterol issues and hormone imbalance.

I don't put much stock into a person, PhD or not, that skews results because they want to push their own eating style as "the best".
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    fibre is overrated...

You're right. It's so overrated that it's been linked to improved cholesterol and improved health. It's so overrated that every health organization recognizes the benefits of it. But sure, keep thinking that. Instead, lets replace fiber with SFA because that would be good for health.

"linked to" does not a causal relationship make.

high fiber diets have been "linked" to both a higher and a lower risk of colon cancer. there are indications that a diet high in fibers has a detrimental effect on gut bacteria, and contributes to conditions such as diverticulitis.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    fibre is overrated...

You're right. It's so overrated that it's been linked to improved cholesterol and improved health. It's so overrated that every health organization recognizes the benefits of it. But sure, keep thinking that. Instead, lets replace fiber with SFA because that would be good for health.

"linked to" does not a causal relationship make.

high fiber diets have been "linked" to both a higher and a lower risk of colon cancer. there are indications that a diet high in fibers has a detrimental effect on gut bacteria, and contributes to conditions such as diverticulitis.

Most scientist are aware of the correlation vs causation factor in research. That's why they use a causal modeling method to reach their conclusions for the Fiber studies. There is too much data over a long period of time that supports fiber as being healthy and needed for the body.

I too would like to see any evidence from a respected health organization that supports a low fiber diet.
  • Anvil_Head
    Anvil_Head Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    ...So you can believe, based on you own perceptions, that fiber is over rated, but I would suggest you show any health organization that would promote a low fiber diet for everyone?
    cee134 wrote: »
    ...I too would like to see any evidence from a respected health organization that supports a low fiber diet.

I'm more than willing to wager that any "evidence" provided will come from a LCHF/keto blog or propaganda website. I have yet to see any respectable health organization advocate for a low-fiber diet, or say that fiber is "overrated".
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Anvil_Head wrote: »
    ...So you can believe, based on you own perceptions, that fiber is over rated, but I would suggest you show any health organization that would promote a low fiber diet for everyone?
    ...I too would like to see any evidence from a respected health organization that supports a low fiber diet.

I'm more than willing to wager that any "evidence" provided will come from a LCHF/keto blog or propaganda website. I have yet to see any respectable health organization advocate for a low-fiber diet, or say that fiber is "overrated".

I would say that this fiber sub-debate is "overrated".
    A typical non ketogenic low carb diet (around 100g total carbs) -where starches are usually avoided and fruits are limited- will easily hit the recommended fiber intake.
    More difficult on a ketogenic diet (below 50g net carbs), but still doable with smart choices:
    9o1efwft5e4e.png
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Anvil_Head wrote: »

I would say that this fiber sub-debate is "overrated".
    A typical non ketogenic low carb diet (around 100g total carbs) -where starches are usually avoided and fruits are limited- will easily hit the recommended fiber intake.
    More difficult on a ketogenic diet (below 50g net carbs), but still doable with smart choices:
    9o1efwft5e4e.png

No one is actually arguing that though (and many of us would agree that on a low carb diet or even a keto diet that you can get adequate fiber). We are arguing the ridiculous claim that fiber is over-rated. It's one of the only things that every health organization agrees upon, regardless of dietary preference. It's correlated to lower cholesterol, increase satiety, increased health, lowers the risk of many health diseases and more. It literally, has NO scientific backing.