Keto

Options
Hi, is anyone successfully following a keto diet that would let me follow their diary logs? First week in and still learning. Thanks ☺

Replies

• chapiano
    chapiano Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Don't do it. Just weigh, log and eat a healthy, balanced diet covering all the recommended macros including healthy complex carbs.

"Ducks down ready for the inevitable influx of carbophobes aggressive abuse"
  • sceleratis
    sceleratis Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on keto. If you add me as a friend you can see my diary. I average 20-30g net carbs daily.
  • sceleratis
    sceleratis Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    chapiano wrote: »
    Don't do it. Just weigh, log and eat a healthy, balanced diet covering all the recommended macros including healthy complex carbs.

LOL. I'm definitely not a carbophobe. For me, keto is a great weight loss tool because it helps control my hunger much better than a carb heavy diet so it makes eating less easier. When I'm not cutting, I follow IIFYM.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options

This is the best advice you'll ever get about Keto.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Hmm. "Rolling eyes at people who fear other ways of eating..." LOL

Join the Low Carber Daily MFP group. That's where most keto'ers hang out. The main boards can be a bit anti-LCHF so most don't even bother with them anymore. Many in the LCD have open diaries and are willing to share tips and ideas.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

I don't bother logging much anymore so I'm not a good one to follow, although I've been keto for about a year and a half. My foods are typically meats (fattier cuts), seafood, nuts and seeds, eggs, vegetables, and full fat dairy (cheese, sour cream, butter, whipped cream). I tend to avoid most fruits except for berries or some orange. I also limit my root vegetables like potatoes, carrots, and onions. I skip sugar and grains (rice, flour, corn) entirely.

A typical day for me might be:
    • coffee with coconut oil, maybe whipped cream, and some protein powder; or bacon and egg(s)
    • can of tuna with mayo and celery
    • meatloaf and broccoli cheese casserole (dinner tonight)
    • snacks might be pepperoni stick, or veggies with cheese dip, or a big bowl of nuts.

Don't forget that you will need more sodium as you drop carbs. Those with very LCHF diets will need 3000-5000+ mg of sodium per day. That's about the equivalent of two teaspoons of salt. You'll know you aren't getting enough if you get symptoms of headaches, fatigue, nausea, muscle aches or cramps. Extra potassium and magnesium (citrate) can help too.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I find my appetite playing hide-and-seek with me. I have done keto in the past but at this point I was just going to do a low (but not extremely low) carb plan. I find myself with no hunger to speak of yet knowing I should eat. That's the hard part for me. I am not trying to go keto my because of the appetite thing yet I am finding myself knocking on Keto's door with out meaning to.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Join the LCD forum as suggested and talk to fellow low carbers. Personally I find low carbs satisfy me more than carbs which only makes me hungrier. I am in control of the food and not the other way around, got plenty of energy, no more carb bloating and I love the food I eat whilst loosing weight.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options

Are you kidding me? I would marry carbs if they were a person. They are not worth it to me.
  • nvmomketo
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I find my appetite playing hide-and-seek with me. I have done keto in the past but at this point I was just going to do a low (but not extremely low) carb plan. I find myself with no hunger to speak of yet knowing I should eat. That's the hard part for me. I am not trying to go keto my because of the appetite thing yet I am finding myself knocking on Keto's door with out meaning to.

The lower appetite can be a nice perk. Some of us found that our appetites did come back. Mine came back after about 6 months, although not quite as high as previous levels.
    edited September 2016
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

The lower appetite can be a nice perk. Some of us found that our appetites did come back. Mine came back after about 6 months, although not quite as high as previous levels.

It's one of those interesting things. I am so happy to be done with that starving feeling no matter what or how much I eat, but at the same time I worry I could just forget to eat too often. I also appreciate that it prevents the usual PMS face stuffing extravaganza. That was always the ruin of my efforts, now it isn't a problem!
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

It's one of those interesting things. I am so happy to to have that starving feeling no matter what or how much I eat, but at the same time I worry I could just forget to eat too often. I also appreciate that it prevents the usual PMS face stuffing extravaganza. That was always the ruin of my efforts, now it isn't a problem!

LOL So true.
    edited September 2016
    Options
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Hi, is anyone successfully following a keto diet that would let me follow their diary logs? First week in and still learning. Thanks ☺

I follow LCHF and my diary is open so knock yourself out. I also strongly suggest you check out the main low carber daily forum group here in MFP. It's where most uf us Ketophiles tend to hang out:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/discussions/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group