INTERMITTENT FASTING - A LIFESTYLE MAKEOVER

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    booncey wrote: »
    I really don't understand why people feel the need to disagree on a weight loss forum. I thought the whole point of this site was to encourage and motivate. If the "IF-plan" is working for someone, don't try to pick it apart. Not everything has to be broken down and scrutinized for your entertainment. To the original poster, keep on doing whatever works for you. If someone tries to discredit it...it's more "their" problem than yours. For me, I'm going to continue trying the plan for 8 weeks. ~ Namaste

Because, science. It's not a "problem" or an "attack"; its intellectual discussion on a topic where nonsense and woo woo are generally given free reign.

The great thing about MyfitnessPal is that it opens users up to discussions they might not have with their friends, coworkers, family, or others who are generally ignorant about biology, nutrition, kinesiology, and more.

Scientific views change ALL the TIME. That's why eggs are good for you, eggs are bad for you. That's also why my low fat diet of the 90s which I did lose weight, is now gone and a high fat diet rage has replaced it.

It's also been written that scientists were paid to "blame" the US obesity problem on fat by the sugar industry.

Please don't ask for citations, as I spend very little time reading scientific research, for reasons stated above.

So, I take the science with a grain of salt and just through trial and error, do what works for me.

The only science I truly believe in through real life trial and error, is it doesn't matter if you eat fat, sugar, flour, meat, no meat, or snicker bars, the answer to weight loss is quite simply burning more calories than you consume, and each person has to find their own way as to how to stick to that mathematical equation.

For some people it mean eliminating one of the above food/macro groups. Or eating more of one of the above food groups/macronutrients.

My "way" is IF, and I've been practicing it for 35 years and have always maintained a healthy BMI--if you believe in that broad "science".

Good points @frankiesgirlie .

It would be nice if there was solid dieting science out there that factored in all the human differences but that is not likely to happen.

Trial and error is about as good as it gets. Sure the science that we have is very helpful but just can not be used in cookie cutter manner. Even for the same person the best way of eating can change from time to time.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    It was in the Huffington Post and NPR about 2 days ago.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    psulemon wrote: »
    One more thing to add; if people never correct you or me, how are we expected to become a better version of ourselves? I learned a lot by smarter people than me correcting my non sense. I continue to learn by people calling me out on my non sense. I readily admit i am not the most knowledgeable person here but i do feel i have a solid foundation. So i am not sure about others but i am always trying to get smarter than i was today.

But I have no way of knowing if they are smarter??

...if it comes from me its true 83% of the time :smile:

Do you have evidence to support this claim? o:);)

<runsawayquickly>
    83%? Not too shabby.

Disappointed in both of you for not knowing where that statistic comes from.

DyD0M.gif
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    One more thing to add; if people never correct you or me, how are we expected to become a better version of ourselves? I learned a lot by smarter people than me correcting my non sense. I continue to learn by people calling me out on my non sense. I readily admit i am not the most knowledgeable person here but i do feel i have a solid foundation. So i am not sure about others but i am always trying to get smarter than i was today.

<runsawayquickly>
    83%? Not too shabby.

DyD0M.gif

Is it because 83% of statistics are made up on the spot?
  • psuLemon
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    booncey wrote: »
    I really don't understand why people feel the need to disagree on a weight loss forum. I thought the whole point of this site was to encourage and motivate. If the "IF-plan" is working for someone, don't try to pick it apart. Not everything has to be broken down and scrutinized for your entertainment. To the original poster, keep on doing whatever works for you. If someone tries to discredit it...it's more "their" problem than yours. For me, I'm going to continue trying the plan for 8 weeks. ~ Namaste

Because, science. It's not a "problem" or an "attack"; its intellectual discussion on a topic where nonsense and woo woo are generally given free reign.

The great thing about MyfitnessPal is that it opens users up to discussions they might not have with their friends, coworkers, family, or others who are generally ignorant about biology, nutrition, kinesiology, and more.

Scientific views change ALL the TIME. That's why eggs are good for you, eggs are bad for you. That's also why my low fat diet of the 90s which I did lose weight, is now gone and a high fat diet rage has replaced it.

It's also been written that scientists were paid to "blame" the US obesity problem on fat by the sugar industry.

Please don't ask for citations, as I spend very little time reading scientific research, for reasons stated above.

So, I take the science with a grain of salt and just through trial and error, do what works for me.

The only science I truly believe in through real life trial and error, is it doesn't matter if you eat fat, sugar, flour, meat, no meat, or snicker bars, the answer to weight loss is quite simply burning more calories than you consume, and each person has to find their own way as to how to stick to that mathematical equation.

For some people it mean eliminating one of the above food/macro groups. Or eating more of one of the above food groups/macronutrients.

My "way" is IF, and I've been practicing it for 35 years and have always maintained a healthy BMI--if you believe in that broad "science".

Those weren't scientific views though, that was the media pushing woo and fearmongering. Now, you see that sort of junk of FB, tumbr, instagram and blogs.

You take real proven evidence with a grain of salt....oh dear.

Ps...fat and sugar are not to blame for obesity, too many calories are. I've been morbidly obese and I sure as hell won't blame either for that. I blame me. I shoved the food into my mouth. Sugar and fat didn't just dive on in there. I used to believe in woo until I started reading scientific studies and applied the science to myself. Yes, CICO actually works. I have to weigh my food and log diligently for it to work, but it works. Diets such as low carb and even IF are a way of achieving CICO.

I do IF (I eat within a 6 hour window. All it does is help me adhere to my calorie intake since I have a smaller window in which I cram all my calories.

Do you have proof for the following statement that you made?:

Actually, I am positive science was involved, but what people don't look at are the parameters and bounds of the study. I have no doubt that IF works and the studies would support that. But it doesn't work based on many of the parameters that people think. It works by calorie control.
  • psuLemon

<runsawayquickly>
    83%? Not too shabby.

DyD0M.gif

Is it because 83% of statistics are made up on the spot?

Exactly.
  • kuksabs
    kuksabs Posts: 55 Member
    I've been an intermittent faster for about 35 years. I came to practice it organically because I noticed in high school if I ate breakfast I had trouble staying awake during my first two classes, so I first stopped eating breakfast, then later stopped eating lunch. My family thought of me as a skinny big eater because I was thin but ate a big dinner, and then snacked while watching tv.

I didn't have a name for it back then but later in life (around 2000,I think) someone told me they read a book that was about how I ate.
    It was "the warrior diet" by Ori Hofmekler.

I read it, and I'm not sure if his science or premise is correct, but it's how I've always eaten.
    I've never been overweight as far as BMI, but have yo yoed up and down 15 or so lbs. at 5'9".
    I'm currently at about 150 with a goal of 140ish.

I do believe that I lose weight with it for 2 reasons. It gives me more energy during my daily fast, I do a daily 16:8, and therefore I move more in general and workout more. Plus, the compacted time frame makes a deficit easier.

The times I have gained back the weight has still been about not watching my calories though, not some "magical" IF science. At least that's what I believe.

It does make it easier for me to eat at a deficit, but I don't know if it effects my weight loss in any other way other than calorie goal compliance.

I had a problem with sleep earlier this year and was sleeping no more than 2-3 hours per night and I found it impossible to fast at that time.
    But now that my sleep is back to normal Im back on IF and am working on losing the last 10 lbs with it.

It's not for everybody, that's for sure.
    But if it seems to be working for you I encourage you to continue OP.

I never had any kind of problems with it, but I've read that some woman do.

Good luck to you!

I used to do this same type of fasting, started while in college. Not intentionally, somehow I never felt hungry after having evening tea. And I didn't know this was IF until recently.

Unlike you I eat breakfast, lunch and snacks in between and with evening tea but absolutely nothing afterwards. I was never overweight, but had gained 10 to 15 pounds during the last two years when I started snacking/eating more in the evenings. That's when I started calorie counting and found MFP. Calorie counting and a bit of exercising has helped me reach my goal weight.

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    If there's no material to store, your hormone levels can be whatever they want they won't be able to store anything.