hypothyroidism and still gaining

Options
leahcollett1
leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
edited September 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi I've had my dosed upped a week ago to 50mg my tsh is 5.7. These past 2 weeks I'm still gaining weight.. please tells me this stops? I count calories I'm on 1500 calories a day to lose 1.5lbs a week I exercise 4 times a day. i count and weigh everything... why am I still gaining? How long does the upped dose take to work? does it work? its really badly getting me down now, i couldnt stop crying this morning. ive had this medication since july now and nothing is moving. i was under the impression that if i took the medication then it would give me the metabolism of any normal person trying to diet. yet this isnt the case?

im really thinking about stopping the medication. its obviously not working and im currently 15.12, if i reach 16 i will will be mortified. my dr wont ring me back... so i cant talk to her.. i really dont know what to do

Replies

• leahcollett1
    Options
    once its balanced out can i expect to begin losing weight normally? i dont get it, i cant keep gaining every week like this ill be the size of a house!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    once its balanced out can i expect to begin losing weight normally? i dont get it, i cant keep gaining every week like this ill be the size of a house!

yes, although i've found that i must eat less calories than those of my same height/weight to lose.

AND- i must be incredibly strict in reaching that goal every day. AND- it will take longer than expected.

When i was still hypo and trying to figure out a good range for my medication i was still able to lose weight. But i think it took me 6 months to lose... like... 10 pounds? And that's of being consistent every single day, 1200 calories, no cheat days, consistent effort in the gym, etc.

P.S. When i became hypo i went up to 139 pounds from 110 in a really short period of time. It took me nearly a year to lose the weight. I'm 5'4.
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    do you think 1400 calories is too much then? im 5.7, 32 female, and 15stone 12? i think im on that to make me lose 1.5lbs a week, anything less and i struggle too be honest
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    do you think 1400 calories is too much then? im 5.7, 32 female, and 15stone 12? i think im on that to make me lose 1.5lbs a week, anything less and i struggle too be honest

No, i think for your height this is a good calorie goal. That being said, you better be damn accurate in your counting. There were a few months where i was eyeballing things like "Oh, i ate about 1/3 of that" and "oh, i had about a cup of this" and i didn't lose a single thing.

It took me getting a food scale and weighing out my food in order to start seeing losses. And believe me, i was definitely eating more than 1200 before i was weighing stuff. Just so you know, packaged items can have a 20% range of error (+ or -) in the calories they contain. This DOESN'T include how many items are heavier or lighter than the package states

For example, say you have a snickers bar:
    Package says one bar is 52.7 grams
    total calories says 250

The calories can be as high as 300 calories or as low as 200 calories for 52.7 grams of product. BUT WAIT! Your snickers bar actually weighs 60 grams. etc. etc. etc. you get the point here.

There's nothing we can do about this as the FDA allows a range of error in both the weight and the calories claimed. The only thing we can do is be diligent about logging it as accurately as possible.

My suggestion to you is to:
    1.) get a food scale and measure all dry ingredients, packaged products, meats, produce, grains, breads, etc.
    2.) check and double check the entries you're using are accurate and match all product nutrition labels
    3.) be consistent and hit your goal EVERY DAY
    4.) give it time

I know first hand how frustrating it can be. Yet here i am 5 years later, thyroid controlled, and i've maintained my weight loss this entire time. Don't let it get to you, it'll take as long as it takes, and in 5 years you can either have given up and (likely) weigh more than you do now, or you can have reached your goals and maintained them.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I agree that IME it takes about six weeks for the medication to take effect so you can start losing weight. In your shoes I wouldn't try to lose now. Just try to not gain anymore or minimize the gain. Before my medication kicked in I was slowly gaining weight on 1200 calories a day (but I'm super short). After the medication kicked in I was able to slowly but easily lose on that intake. The good news is that some of the "gain" is due to fluid and that comes off fairly easily once you're regulated.

You cannot stop taking your medication. That would be the most counter productive thing imaginable.
  • leahcollett1
    edited September 2016
    Options
    ah thats brill advice thankyou.. now you mention it i do remember taking "bites " here and their of the kids dinners, thinking a nugget wont harm and all that.. so ill tighten my weighing and logging this week and keep taking the meds...i didnt think to weigh packaged stuff thats a interesting thought, thanks. im guessing people with thyroid iisues have to be more accurate than say most people?
    i really hope i strart to lose - its really crushing me.

would you eat the exercise calories? i exercised 4 times last week and still gained 0.5lbs. i know its not alot but that every week and it is starting to creep.
  • rainbowbow
    edited September 2016
    Options
    ah thats brill advice thankyou.. now you mention it i do remember taking "bites " here and their of the kids dinners, thinking a nugget wont harm and all that.. so ill tighten my weighing and logging this week and keep taking the meds...i didnt think to weigh packaged stuff thats a interesting thought, thanks.

would you eat the exercise calories? i exercised 4 times last week and still gained 0.5lbs. i know its not alot but that every week and it is starting to creep.

I personally didn't, but that's up to you. Also, i was only doing cardio at the time about 20-30 minutes 4 times a week.
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    yea if i get out, its only a walk for a few miles, so ill leave it too thanks.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I take 37.5 mcg. I've never had a problem losing when my levels are stable, but it can take some time to get there. My doctors have usually wanted my levels to be good for 12 or 18 weeks before deciding I don't need to go in for bloodwork for a while anymore...
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    What is your TSH and what is your full thyroid panel? ...and for shame on your physician for not responding. If this continues look eslewhere. Ask for copies of your thyroid panel and keep track of this - you may want to even add your results to the comments in MFP as a reference. Docs don't want to raise thyroid meds too quickly for fear of atrial fibrillation.

@rainbowbow makes some excellent points on nutritional labeling and why I overestimate my food and underestimate or simply do not log my workouts.

I had a total thyroidectomy in 2000 and on .175/.200mcg alternating daily. Since finding MFP I lost the extra weight and in maintenance mode for about a year now.

Hang in there and don't get frustrated. Give it time and look to that which you have control over first - your logging, intake and output. Dig into the data and find any possible issues. Find a friend on MFP and have them review your intake.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Do you have an appointment for more lab work? I lost my thyroid to cancer last year and we're still working on getting the dose just right. My doctor checks T4, free T4, T3, free T3, and TSH every 6-8 week, then adjusts the Rx again. Since my last adjustment I've lost all the weight I'd gained while the meds were off.

Give it time. Getting the right dose/combination of meds takes trial and error, and a lot of time. Once your levels are optimal, losing weight will be much easier. Whatever you do, don't stop taking the meds. Hypothyroidism is no joke, and it effects every system in your body.
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    Thank you so much for replies.. I request a full check on my thyroid so my next bloods will be t3 and t4. My tsh is 5.8. And vitamin d 390. Thats all I understood there was a lot on there..

Thats brill to know that once you found the right level the weight cane off.. did it begins to come off the first week starting the correct dosage? Or does it take a few weeks for that right dose time kick in??
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Leah, please hang in there and be patient :)

I was diagnosed with hashimotos almost a year ago......and we are STILL tinkering with my meds trying to find the right level. I started on an ultra low dose of .25......6 weeks later it was upped to .5......8 weeks later up to .75......
    My dose has been upped 6 times now. I'm due to have bloodwork again in a week.

I was SO discouraged that I threw in the towel and just ate whatever I wanted since weighing/measuring and counting had ZERO effect.
    I was gaining weight while eating 1400-1600cal a day
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Ugh!! Why does MFP cut off half my message!!

Leah, long story short: after a year, I think my levels are stable.
    I started MFP again last week
    I'm down 2lbs :)
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for replies.. I request a full check on my thyroid so my next bloods will be t3 and t4. My tsh is 5.8. And vitamin d 390. Thats all I understood there was a lot on there..

Thats brill to know that once you found the right level the weight cane off.. did it begins to come off the first week starting the correct dosage? Or does it take a few weeks for that right dose time kick in??

It does take time. But you should be able to start losing again once your levels are stable enough that your other symptoms start decreasing. I'm actually going in to get my levels checked again myself soon. Still losing, but hair is falling out.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    T3 and T4 will not tell you anything. You need TSH, Free T3 and Free T4. If you're on synthroid it's VERY possible that your body does not convert T4 to T3 well (inactive hormone to active hormone). I am one of those that does not. I have to take selenium every day to help this process. If I don't, even taking armour (which has all of thyroid hormones in it as opposed to synthroid) my meds don't work well. I would encourage you to do a TON of reading at Stopthethyroidmadness.com to get a better understanding of thyroid hormone. Generally speaking, people will feel overall much better on a dessicated thyroid hormone like armour or naturethroid. STTM gives a really good guide for where a person's thyroid numbers should be for feeling their best (it is usually very different from what your doctor will tell you). It usually takes about 2 weeks for me to really feel the difference when we change my prescription. It probably takes 6 to be fully optimized in your body. I hear you on the weight gain. When my thyroid tanked I gained 20#'s in one month doing nothing different. Made me darn mad. Hang in there and give it some time. Just be strict with your logging and do the best you can while you wait for your body to settle out.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

Sounds like you need to have a talk with your doctor on what your optimum TSH levels need to be for you to feel right. .3 - 3.0 is the new normal and many and even pushing towards .2-2.0. I run at around .2-.3 as once you have no thyroid, the best therapies are to push towards hyperthyroidism.
    I've also found that this is a very mental game and I have to keep myself interested in everything. I also drink a lot of water and stay active. If I fall off this regimen I feel horrible.
    Best of luck - keep us posted on your progress!
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I would echo the potential T3 issue. I am also on cytomel (T3) in addition to synthroid (T4). My TSH didn't change much, but my quality of life did after I started on the T3. The T3 is fast acting, the T4 takes 8 weeks to fully integrate. Unfortunately it is one of those "wait and see" games. I know, I've been there. Armour does contain both T4 and T3.

Personally, I don't care for "Stop The Thyroid Madness" as an information site. I find it's presentation to be too slanted and sensationalist for my taste. I prefer the Mayo Clinic and medical journals for my info. However, it is critical to know and understand not just what your numbers are, but where they fall on the range of what your doctor and lab are using as "normal."

There's a normal range for a reason--just because you're in the "normal range" doesn't mean it's the best spot for you. You're your own best advocate.
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    Ugh!! Why does MFP cut off half my message!!

Leah, long story short: after a year, I think my levels are stable.
    I started MFP again last week
    I'm down 2lbs :)

Thank you so much.. for the hope.. I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed and hope that once my Meds are tweaked then I will begin to lose again