High protein but low crabs

Options
Hi guys I'm looking for snacks that are high on protein but very low on crabs. Not protein bars , something that is a natural source of food like nuts or veggies . Anything what do you recommend?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    How low are you going on carbs and how high on protein? And why? Do you really want to snack - low carb diets are renowned for being satiating so you shouldn't have to snack. You can eat anything you like. I recommend as much variety as practically possible.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Crabs? Funny.. :)

String cheese, regular cheese, beefy jerky, turkey or reg bacon (might want some fat too), greek yogurt, hardboiled eggs, any kind of nuts (almonds, pistachios, peanuts again with higher fat)

I am assuming you are not doing LCHF?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    felorabedi wrote: »
    Hi guys I'm looking for snacks that are high on protein but very low on crabs. Not protein bars , something that is a natural source of food like nuts or veggies . Anything what do you recommend?

If you avoid shellfish you can eat anything meat, poultry or fish based

Also 0% Greek yogurt
    Pistachio nuts
    Eggs
    Milk

Also 0% Greek yogurt
    Pistachio nuts
    Eggs
    Milk

:lol:

OP, do you mean carbs? or crabs?
  • felorabedi
    felorabedi Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    So I try to have protein 50% fat 30% and sorry CARBs lol 20%.

I have snacks between meals so I don't get bloated and have big meals.

Example

Morning if I had two hard boiled eggs (full of protein but fats aswell so I can't have nuts or avocado)

Then two hours later I would have Greek yoga and 20g of blueberries

Two to three hours later depends on when hungry I am I try to have either (chicken breast , steak, prawns, fish, or can tuna in water)(150g)and a side of a bowl of salad (lettuce cucumber tomato)

Two hours later I will have an apple or an orange

At night dinner I try to have a bowl of salad maybe Mexican style salad (corn tomato kidney beans avocado- small amount ) or Thai salad with snow peas beans sprout cucumber tomato and peanut butter dressing or Indian salad or any kind of salad.

As you can see I'm having so much carbs and less of protein .. and I'm sick of having eggs everyday .. if I have cheese what type of cheese would you recommend. If again if I had cheese with brown bread then I have to cut down on salads and fruits (carbs again) .. arrrgh it's so difficult to arrange a menu that can't be perfect.

How is your menu for the day ?
  • RoxieDawn
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I do 30 to 35% carbs. But I have to allow protein to be the macro I concentrate on first in the day (though prelogging for me) and then trickle in the carbs and fats.

I will def eat my daily yogurt for breakfast (15 carbs), I also allow sandwich bread (22 carbs), then I will allow a carb at dinner (sweet potato, white potato around 20 - 25 carbs).. The rest is filled in with veggies and fruits that meet my carb range.

So I have to do this backwards and if I am short on protein, I will have to do a low carb protein shake.

Cheeses can be cheddar, swiss, 2% kraft slices, snacks would be baby bale or string cheese, I also add a nut snack (pistachios, peanuts, almond, cashews).. I drink milk on occasion but due to carbs I will use unsweetened almond or cashew milk (for my protein shakes)
  • felorabedi
    Options

Also 0% Greek yogurt
    Pistachio nuts
    Eggs
    Milk

If I have eggs in the morning then I can't have nuts or avocado as snacks .. I will be confusing too much fats
  • felorabedi
    Options
    How low are you going on carbs and how high on protein? And why? Do you really want to snack - low carb diets are renowned for being satiating so you shouldn't have to snack. You can eat anything you like. I recommend as much variety as practically possible.

I'm trying to go as low as 50grams per day . Yes I need snacks because I take small portions of my meals so I don't get bloated . My main concern is if I do have eggs for breakfast then I can't have fats if I have carbs for dinner I can't have carbs as snacks
  • felorabedi
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

String cheese, regular cheese, beefy jerky, turkey or reg bacon (might want some fat too), greek yogurt, hardboiled eggs, any kind of nuts (almonds, pistachios, peanuts again with higher fat)

Lol sorry typo.

I am doing low carbs but I'm trying to stay low fats too.

The problem with beef jerky and turkey it has a lot of sodium. And if I had eggs for breakfast I can't have nuts and if I had bread cheese for breakfast then I can't have salads for dinner

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Try pre-logging your day so that you can balance your macros ahead of time.

50% protein is a lot. The US government's recommendation is 10-35% of calories from protein.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    @felorabedi you might want to join the low carb group.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

They have lots of info and a thread strictly about what their meals look like.

I also found lots of snack ideas by googling low carb snacks. Italian antipasto is full of good things to eat with very low carbs.
  • RoxieDawn
    edited September 2016
    Options

Lol sorry typo.

The problem with beef jerky and turkey it has a lot of sodium. And if I had eggs for breakfast I can't have nuts and if I had bread cheese for breakfast then I can't have salads for dinner

Low carb and low fats really do not compliment each other.. I get doing around 30% carbs and lower fat, but 20% and lower for me would have me upping the fats and moderating protein.

I train hard, and there is no need for even me to reach 50% protein.. I get doing low carb high fat though.

Concentrate on protein first in your diet and then spread the carbs and fats after.. Prelog is the way to go to reach this amount of protein, I really do not see any other way around it.
  • bexilashious
    bexilashious Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    As your going low carb you need fat to burn

Low card diets have a higher percentage of fat compared to other diets

• kittykarin
    kittykarin Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with those other commenters. If you are doing low carb, especially under 50 g, you need that extra fat to keep things going. Your body doesn't have carbs so it's going to rely on fat to burn. I do 15% carbs, 35% protein and 50% fat. Eat full fat dairy, nuts and don't worry about the fat in the avocado. It's necessary. Protein is great but our bodies can only process so much at a time.
    If you need help with snack or meal ideas, friend me and my diary is open. I've lost 135 pounds on lower carb. Good luck!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    If your carbs are under 50g per day, that is considered very low carb - it's basically a ketogenic diet. As a general rule, to make a low carb diet like that work, you'll need to raise your fats too or you'll end up with a huge caloric deficit. Most very low carbers keep their protein moderate (15-30%) but the more active types will go higher (30-45%). Fats in a ketogenic diet make up 45-80% of your diet.

I highly recommend checking out the Low Carber Daily group linked above. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group There are low carbers in there from almost zero to 40% carbs, and some go even higher but focus on slow carbs (low GI foods with lots of fibre - veggies mainly).

That being said, lean meats and seafood are high in protein but lower in fats. I prefer fattier cuts of meat though since I am not a big meat eater. A LCHF diet focuses on fatty meats, seafood, eggs, full fat dairy (whipped cream, hard cheese, 14% sour cream, cream cheese, 10+% unsweetened yogurt, butter), nuts and seeds, coconut (oil, cream and shredded pieces), and often plenty of non-root vegetables and low GI fruits like berries.

The foods that will raise your carb count the fastest are:
    • sugars and sugar substitutes (honey, etc)
    • products made with refined grains /flours like bread, tortilla, muffins, noodles, cereals, etc.
    • grains (rice, corn, oats)
    • tropical fruits (bananas, mangos, figs, dates) and dried fruit (raisens, prunes)
    • starchy root vegetables (potatoes, onions, carrots, etc)
    • and temperate fruit (apples, nectarines, plums)
    Limit those and your carb count will fall.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Lol sorry typo.

It's all good. There used to be someone around here many months ago that actually thought carbs were crabs.
    It brings back memories.

Oh, you can't be low carb and low fat. Usually those on low carb keep their fats higher and protein moderate.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Cheese
    Nuts
    Yogurt
    A meat and cheesd board and skip crackers
    Tuna, chicken, or egg salad