September (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Thanks @_nikkiwolf_ and @MNLittleFinn. That's exactly what I am planning - to take it easy and just enjoy the run/race day fun. I want to save up for my goal race in 3 weeks.

Sounds like a perfect plan. What are you looking at for goal time at your goal race?

I'm hoping to finish in 2:30. I'm worried about my pace fluctuating too much over that distance, so that will be another thing to sort out with the test race tomorrow. Although the course tomorrow has hills and my goal race is flat, so that will be another variable. Overall, I'll hopefully learn something tomorrow and do better in 3 weeks!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping to finish in 2:30. I'm worried about my pace fluctuating too much over that distance, so that will be another thing to sort out with the test race tomorrow. Although the course tomorrow has hills and my goal race is flat, so that will be another variable. Overall, I'll hopefully learn something tomorrow and do better in 3 weeks!
    Don't worry about the pace fluctuations. Just look at average pace. My pace can fluctuate quite a bit, but I just look at my mile splits and try to keep them somewhat consistent if I can. You'll do great!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    2ea3i4r3wx8a.jpg

Not sure if this will work - an elevation Profile as posted by one of the Runners Today of the Miserable Miles Obstacle race that I volunteered at. Three hills at the start, Little one, Soul Sucker 1.0 followed by Soul Sucker 2.0 and rolling terrain in the middle with a *Kitten* Downhill at the end.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    1 September 5.2km run
    2 September 3km swim
    3 September 2.7km swim
    4 September 3.3km swim
    5 September 2.6km swim
    6 September 6.2km run
    7 September 2.9km swim
    8 September rest day
    9 September 5.3km treadmill run
    10 September 2.7km swim
    11 September 5.46km run
    12 September 2.8km swim
    13 September 5.1km run
    14 September ZUU training
    15 September 6.2km run
    16 September 12km stationery bike
    17 September 2.4km swim
    18 September 3.5km run - only managed 20 minutes today, feeling tired.

Running total 36.96km
    Swimming total 22.4km

Running goal 40km
    Swimming goal 40km
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options

September goal.....run/jog/prance

9/1 3.12
    9/2 4-ish (technology malfunction...)
    9/3 strength/core training
    9/4 3.18
    9/5 rest
    9/6 3.25 + strength/core
    9/7 5.7
    9/8 strength/core training
    9/9 rest
    9/10 3.25
    9/11 3.16 + strength/core
    9/12 snorkel 2 hours (nothing exciting enough to post)
    9/13 rest
    9/14 ennui
    9/15 6.25 then a 4.2 mile trail hike thru Kilauea Iki with 2000' elevation change (yep, I'm counting it!)
    9/16 more ennui
    9/17 4.10

Busy week and I can't remember all the "moved me" posts (there were "likes" and "awesomes" hit), but some catch up:

@MobyCarp congratulations on Boston qualifying!
    @skippygirlsmom Love the shore pics and Dutchess!
    ...and I have to post my collection of....VIBRAMS!
    p2r2pfxvk463.jpg
    (in my defense, I wear them for snorkeling: they fit nicely in my fins, and allow easy climbing over the lava rock!)

Total 36.96

Upcoming races:
    Las Vegas RocknRoll Half 11/13/16

Ticker is my goal for 2016 and accumulation to date:
    exercise.png
  • tguenny
    tguenny Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Good luck tomorrow @MobyCarp. Sounds like the rest day was a good idea. I feel you on the forecast tomorrow. It keeps improving a bit but whether by humidity or rain showers chances of being soaking wet at the end are almost 100%.

On that note, I'm kind of worried about chafing for my "test" half marathon tomorrow. Someone suggested to me putting KT tape on chafe prone areas. Do you guys do that? I'm mostly worried about the sports bra band - that's really the only thing I've had trouble with in the past. I have moisture wicking socks and body glide as well. Any last minute tips?

Upcoming races:
    9/18 CNY Bread Run Half, Fabius, NY (test run, long run with bling, not racing))
    10/9 Empire State Half Marathon, Syracuse NY (official first marathon)
    11/13 Burn Run 5k or 10k, E. Syracuse NY (not signed up yet)
    11/24 Turkey Trot 5k, Cedar Rapids IA (maybe?)
    12/3 St. Nick Shuffle 5k, Syracuse NY

Hi there,

please stop telling people to use powders to help or prevent the chafing!! (Not saying YOU did, speaking it out for the community) Powders contain talcum, which gets clumsy pretty quickly and makes the chafing even worse, especially between the legs and the thigh area, the armpit and the *kitten*...

The best anti chafing products are gels and balms in my opinion, whereas balms tend to clogg the pores, which isn't good too. Try to get one of those silicone-based gels. They strengthen the skin surface, leave the pores open for air and last pretty long. Also they are much easier to apply than common sticks...

Here's a filter where you can enter your affected body part and what type of product you prefer etc. Maybe that'll show you a solution that you didn't think of yet?! :)

http://antichafing.net/

Just my 2 cents! Spread the word! ;)

Cheerio,
    Katey
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    9/1: 4.3 miles
    9/2: Rest day
    9/3: 9.4 miles
    9/4: 5.7 miles
    9/5: 6 miles
    9/6: 6 miles
    9/7: 4 miles
    9/8: 3.2 miles with the Thursday crew!
    9/9: Rest day
    9/10: 5.3 miles
    9/11: 13.1 - Via HM
    9/12: 3 miles with the Coffee Crew!
    9/13: 7.9 miles
    9/14: 4.3 miles run commute home
    9/15: 7.3 miles run commute to work
    ........: 6.2 miles with the Thursday crew!
    9/16: Rest day
    9/17: 8.1 miles with the Saturday crew!
    9/18: 11.3 miles

Well that sucked. I wanted to do 16. I was super pumped all week for this long run. I was going to do a hard, long run workout. And instead the run ended up just being hard, as in difficult. I did three warm up miles and then was going to do 2 race pace miles, 1 easy, 2 race pace, etc. for the next 13. After the first two race pace miles, my legs were like, "Haha this is dumb." And so the walk breaks began.

I think there were 3 things that made this run hard.
    1: Temperature and humidity; it was 68F/95% to start and 75F/85% to finish. That's the lower end of my "I don't wannaaaa" zone.
    2: When I was recovering from my calf strain, I was doing 25-35 miles per week. This week is hovering around 50. That's a big jump and I think my legs are a bit unhappy with me.
    3: Diet. I've been eating like crap, though trying to do better, and I think it shows after a long week of runs and workouts and training.

Hope others' runs went much better than mine!

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    9/11 LVHN Via Half-Marathon DONE!
    10/8: Coe College Homecoming 5k
    10/16: Halloween Half-Marathon
    11/20: Philadelphia Marathon

• kristinegift
    edited September 2016
    Options

Upcoming races:
    9/18 CNY Bread Run Half, Fabius, NY (test run, long run with bling, not racing))
    10/9 Empire State Half Marathon, Syracuse NY (official first marathon)
    11/13 Burn Run 5k or 10k, E. Syracuse NY (not signed up yet)
    11/24 Turkey Trot 5k, Cedar Rapids IA (maybe?)
    12/3 St. Nick Shuffle 5k, Syracuse NY

@katharmonic No answer to your KT tape question, but WHY ARE YOU GOING TO BE IN CR, IOWA FOR THANKSGIVING?! I am from Cedar Rapids but live in NJ now... are you a secret Iowan too?! :)

Also congrats to @louubelle16 and @Orphia for awesome HM PRs today! And good luck to @MobyCarp!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Good luck @MobyCarp at the Rochester Marathon.

Congratulations @louubelle16 on your PB. Way to toughen it out.

Good luck @katharmonic on your HM.

@kristinegift sorry to hear that the heat and humidity continues near you. I was hoping to escape the warmer weather when I visit Jersey this week.
  • kristinegift
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

@kristinegift sorry to hear that the heat and humidity continues near you. I was hoping to escape the warmer weather when I visit Jersey this week.

@Stoshew71 It'll be nice Wed and onward! Storms today through Tuesday have the overnight lows in the high 60s :/
  • MNLittleFinn
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @louubelle16 great job and congrats on thr PR! You did great pushing through the tightness and finishing well!

@kristinegift that's a huge jump in mileage. You still did great despite thr difficulty with the run. I have no doubt you'll be more than ready by the time your marathon comes around.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Yesterday's long run (last long run before next Sunday's HM) was an exercise in running on tired legs. I pushed it a day earlier due to weather concerns for today (super humid and chance of rain) and my schedule was out of whack this past week so I ran two short, but pushing-my-pace negative split runs back to back on Thursday and Friday. So far in my training I haven't run on the day before my long runs so I knew going out that this would be a bit of a challenge. I'd say I had a solid 5-5.5 miles of that "legs made of lead" feeling, lol. I was slow and it took a whole ton of mental determination and stubbornness to push through all 12 miles (the hill in the final mile I had a funny moment where my legs just kind of literally wound down like a clockwork soldier until I was no longer running, haha). I am just reminding myself that this is good practice for tired legs after pushing at the end of a long race, and that even though I was super slow, I still ran 12 freaking miles EVEN THOUGH it was an epic struggle, lol. The rest of this week is taper, and then my HM on Sunday. Still not really sure where to pin my finishing time expectations, I'm gonna go with 2:20 goal, 2:10 stretch goal.

eczjgf5uac3s.png

South Nyack 10 Miler – 9/11 – 1:43:24
    Adirondacks Half Marathon – 9/25
    Sleepy Hollow 10k – 10/22
    Bay of Fundy Half Marathon – 6/25/17
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @KatieJane83 you're going to do great next weekend. You've put the training in and it will soon be time to reap the rewards.
  • MLS1582
    MLS1582 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift @RunRachelleRun Thank you for the sock advice! I just ordered 3 pairs of quarter socks - one Feetures, one Balega, and one Asics. Each is a little bit different, so I can see which I like best. I really appreciate your thoughts; I didn't even know they made quarter socks for running!
  • jringer1
    jringer1 Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options

exercise.png

New shoes
    New week
    New attitude
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    Options
    Well, today's run sucked. I had a grand plan of doing 3.5 miles (the furthest I would have ever run) and started out with my bluetooth earbuds not wanting to work properly, the knot in my neck getting more tight, I couldn't get my breathing under control, I found myself going over scenarios where I got injured and thinking what I would do to get help since I was out on a trail in the local park which didn't help anything.. I ended up stopping runkeeper after 2.7 miles and walking the rest of the way back home (3/4 mile)

So frustrating. It was not the best day for #teamsnail. :/

exercise.png
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @sparklyglitterbomb we all have those days. You got a run in. That's what matters. Next time will be better.
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    Options
    Thanks @MNLittleFinn :)