Belly Fat Question

Options

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Cmase0194 wrote: »
    Wow, did NOT get any kind of notifications for this while at work, but thanks for the input guys.

I'm just having trouble in this regard because I've been eating at a significant deficit, between 500 to 900 calories, (depending on which calorie calculator is actually accurate), but I'm still not losing anything, really.

I'm eating 2100-2300, cheat days excluded, and standing at 6'5"- weighing 201lbs now, up from 196. I even have my sodium intake down below 2000mg with 35g+ fiber on 90% of my days. Not sure why physical weight wouldn't be coming off, while exercising in a deficit, adequate water and micronutrients as well. Thoughts?

It's quite possible that you have become skinny fat in which case you will need to start lifting to gain back muscle.

• Cmase0194
    Cmase0194 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Wow, did NOT get any kind of notifications for this while at work, but thanks for the input guys.

I'm just having trouble in this regard because I've been eating at a significant deficit, between 500 to 900 calories, (depending on which calorie calculator is actually accurate), but I'm still not losing anything, really.

I'm eating 2100-2300, cheat days excluded, and standing at 6'5"- weighing 201lbs now, up from 196. I even have my sodium intake down below 2000mg with 35g+ fiber on 90% of my days. Not sure why physical weight wouldn't be coming off, while exercising in a deficit, adequate water and micronutrients as well. Thoughts?

You look like you don't have a lot to lose, so weight loss will probably end up being slower. Did you read through the thread that I posted above? It has some great advice and it is easy to understand.

How are you measuring your intake? Do you have a food scale?

Yes, I have a food scale. :) I'm just curious as to how one can gain through a deficit o.O
    What thread are you referring to exactly? I'll check for it real fast (assuming you don't mean this one)

Edit: Ah, I see now. It must not have loaded properly, but it's there now

It is impossible to gain in a deficit. If you're gaining weight, you are in a calorie surplus, retaining a lot of water, or have a medical problem.

How long have you been at your current exercise program?

I also noticed you said you have cheat days. How often are those? Do you log them? Surprisingly enough, cheat days can undo a week's deficit pretty easily if you're not tracking your intake.

My guess is the water. I eat 100kcal less than the minimum recommended by any calculator for TDEE-20. Cheat days are logged, 1 day per week tops, and I go to maybe 3200 max, only about 500-600 more than my supposed maintenance. Hypothetically speaking, if I were at a 500 kcal deficit per day with one at about 600, I'd still be able to shed 2400/3500kcal to lose a pound of solely fat...but instead, I've gained 5 haha. I've done this program for a year, stopped due to "unforeseen circumstances," and picked back up a few weeks ago. Similar routine and slightly lower estimation of my TDEE from just last year too. I actually continued to drop last year from 195-180ish at 10-12% BF eating a little more than I do now at 200.
  • Cmase0194
    edited September 2016
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    skidoodk wrote: »
    Belly fat is weird I beat cancer about 10 years ago and lost a lot of weight during treatment 6'2" 185 in shape went 135 and still had a little belly only place on my body

When I first met my husband and he was only148 pounds, he still had a belly. Now he still has one at 190 pounds, but it isn't as obvious as when he was skinny everywhere but the belly.

Yeah, maybe I should just start bulking and see where that leads me, tall and skinny with a guy is not a good look :/

It's quite possible that you have become skinny fat in which case you will need to start lifting to gain back muscle.
    [/quote]

Possible, but I'm also sitting on probably 20℅ BF, so I'm torn as to whether or not I should drop off a couple pounds/BF percentage points before switching up to a bulk. Good point though, thought provoking
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    Belly fat is weird I beat cancer about 10 years ago and lost a lot of weight during treatment 6'2" 185 in shape went 135 and still had a little belly only place on my body

When I first met my husband and he was only148 pounds, he still had a belly. Now he still has one at 190 pounds, but it isn't as obvious as when he was skinny everywhere but the belly.

Yeah, maybe I should just start bulking and see where that leads me, tall and skinny with a guy is not a good look :/

Bulking then cutting is likely a good idea. Once you rebuild your muscle it should help you reduce the belly fat when you cut again.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those people that believe you can still cut belly fat while eating at a surplus.
  • Cmase0194
    Options

Bulking then cutting is likely a good idea. Once you rebuild your muscle it should help you reduce the belly fat when you cut again.

JUST replied to you about that bud haha. You think I should hold off til below 20℅ or do the opposite?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Surgery is the only way I know to get rid of belly fat alone.
  • Longevity100
    Longevity100 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty fit, but as little fat as I have on arms and legs, etc., My stomach is rather...behind. I need to know, is there any specific thing I could do to burn off that fat from my stomach? I honestly wouldn't mind sacrificing the muscle in the rest of me so long as it meant I got a flat stomach lol

A few questions for you.

1. What does your current nutrition program look like? (what does a typical 3 days of eating look like for in terms of specific foods and quantities.

2. What does your current strength and conditioning program look like?
  • Cmase0194
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I'm one of those people that believe you can still cut belly fat while eating at a surplus.

If that's possible, I want in, hah. I'm pretty convinced in all I've researched on it you won't cut the fat, but it will become more muscular underneath it. Maybe in a recomp or something?
  • Hornsby
    Options

If that's possible, I want in, hah. I'm pretty convinced in all I've researched on it you won't cut the fat, but it will become more muscular underneath it. Maybe in a recomp or something?

I guess I don't believe in the "we can't spot reduce" statement that so many make (myself included). I think we can spot reduce to an extent.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited September 2016
    Options

JUST replied to you about that bud haha. You think I should hold off til below 20℅ or do the opposite?

Are you above 20%? In that case you should continue to cut but lifting is highly recommended while in a deficit. Generally, you will know around 15% if you are skinny fat or not because you will still carry a lot around your stomach when you should be able to see the top two abs. In which case you can either cut to about 12% then bulk or bulk to about 18%-20% then cut. However, if you are still above 20% then you might just be one of those people that caries everything there and that means more cutting will show big improvements.

• Cmase0194
    Options
    I'm pretty fit, but as little fat as I have on arms and legs, etc., My stomach is rather...behind. I need to know, is there any specific thing I could do to burn off that fat from my stomach? I honestly wouldn't mind sacrificing the muscle in the rest of me so long as it meant I got a flat stomach lol

A few questions for you.

1. What does your current nutrition program look like? (what does a typical 3 days of eating look like for in terms of specific foods and quantities.

2. What does your current strength and conditioning program look like?

1. Ordinarily a morning at 6am eat a yogurt with wheat+bran cereal ground up in it. (21g protein, 61g comp carbs) Hit the gym, then afterwards, anything with about 35-40g protein(powder, meat, etc.), with some fast acting carbs, when available (some days just a pure protein bar for 33g, like today). Next meal, a fruit (banana or apple, usually), sometimes with little snacks (nature valley bar or a PB wheat bagel), a serving of almonds with coffee at work, a sandwich with light Swiss cheese and salt-free turkey, mayo and vegetables included). That's usually hit my macros and I get some play with food for the night to wrap up at about 2100-2300kcal. On a day I work 1st shift, I usually just skip the bagel and make a skinless boneless chicken salad, or chicken over wheat pasta with a salad.

2. I do 3 days HIIT and 3 days HST lifts, alternating. One rest day, where I usually am sedentary for the most part, but I get up to clean and usually cook, etc.

It's a lot to type, sorry bout that haha
  • Cmase0194
    edited September 2016
    Options

Are you above 20%? In that case you should continue to cut but lifting is highly recommended while in a deficit. Generally, you will know around 15% if you are skinny fat or not because you will still carry a lot around your stomach when you should be able to see the top two abs. In which case you can either cut to about 12% then bulk or bulk to about 18%-20% then cut. However, if you are still above 20% then you might just be one of those people that caries everything there and that means more cutting will show big improvements.

I was 300lbs at age 17, and I've stayed under 205 ever since, but there's still some chub left. Got rid of most of it last year, and got lazy. Leads me to believe I should just stick with the cut, when you put it like that, I basically have no fat anwhere else besides maybe a bit in my thighs and such nowadays lol. Just gotta fight through this seemingly endless water weight phase
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

I was 300lbs at age 17, and I've stayed under 205 ever since, but there's still some chub left. Got rid of most of it last year, and got lazy. Leads me to believe I should just stick with the cut, when you put it like that, I basically have no fat anwhere else besides maybe a bit in my thighs and such nowadays lol. Just gotta fight through this seemingly endless water weight phase

Now 300 lbs changes things here considerably. This might not be belly fat so much as lose skin that just won't go away. Keep to the cut and you'll know soon enough what it is that you are really looking at. Have you noticed your belly to be looking deflated and sagging more than you would expect?

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

I guess I don't believe in the "we can't spot reduce" statement that so many make (myself included). I think we can spot reduce to an extent.

Hm? What do you mean?
  • Cmase0194
    Options

Now 300 lbs changes things here considerably. This might not be belly fat so much as lose skin that just won't go away. Keep to the cut and you'll know soon enough what it is that you are really looking at. Have you noticed your belly to be looking deflated and sagging more than you would expect?

Yes, but it had tightened considerably last year...still hard to tell how much was skin and how much was fat when it got that close
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Yes, but it had tightened considerably last year...still hard to tell how much was skin and how much was fat when it got that close

Let's hope for the best, lose skin can be a real naissance including having issues with rashes and infections.

• Hornsby
    Options

Hm? What do you mean?

I feel like in my own experience, that training can impact where fat is lost from as well. While belly fat is usually the last to come off, I also think that it is because that is also where the most fat accumulates when we are sedentary. So you may not lose fat there at a slower rate, or "last", it's just that there was more there in the first place. When you are sedentary, you still use your arms and legs, even if it's just for daily tasks and walking, but most people don't use their core if they are sedentary, so more fat accumulation in that area. Once someone's training is amped up, I don't necessarily think that the fat will go back the same way, because now your body is training different areas. I dunno, I just see so many cyclists who have lean legs, and even lean arms, but are still 30 lbs over weight because all they do is ride a bike. I know my legs leaned out faster than any other part of my body while cycling to lose weight.

So yea, I think spot reducing for the most part is not gonna happen, but I do think there are times when it can happen if that makes sense.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Now that I think about it, my husband concentrates on cardio and eliptical, etc. His arms and legs have very little fat, but he has a belly.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    Now that I think about it, my husband concentrates on cardio and eliptical, etc. His arms and legs have very little fat, but he has a belly.

Could be a cortisol issue. Some believe that a lot of cardio isn't a great thing since it builds up cortisol and that tends to lead to accumulation of belly fat.