Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Sleep vs Protein Timing for muscle recovery?

Options
cee134
cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
Which is more important, sleep or protein timing?

I would guess that sleep is better then protein timing, and as long as you get adequate protein, sleep (between 7 - 10 hours) would be more important.

So should athletes get more sleep and worry less about protein timing?
If you got 0.8 g x body weight in kg would you not need any more protein if you got more then say 8 hours of sleep?

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    IMO, sleep...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    sleep...timing of protein, IMO, is pretty irrelevant...
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I think sleep is more important than protein even if you are not getting adequate protein, lol...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I think sleep is more important than protein even if you are not getting adequate protein, lol...

Agreed.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Nutrient timing is pretty insignificant for the vast majority of people. Most people though, if they are looking to build muscle or try to maintain muscle while losing weight will consume more lol .8-1g of protein per POUND of bodyweight as opposed to kilogram.
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    0.8 g x body weight in kg

Not to throw the thread off topic, but for athletes that should be .82g of protein per pound of body weight - not per kilogram - to maximize MPS (Phillips & VanLoon, 2011.)

(And yes, get plenty of sleep and don't worry too much about timing.)
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    fatfudgery wrote: »

Not to throw the thread off topic, but for athletes that should be .82g of protein per pound of body weight - not per kilogram - to maximize MPS (Phillips & VanLoon, 2011.)

Not quite. It should be 0.8-1.2g/lb of lean body mass.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    fatfudgery wrote: »

I've heard it as 1 g per pound of lean body mass or .8g per pound of body weight (making a generalization of around 20% BF). Or the range @trigden1991 mentioned.

Anyone that thinks it can be determined that you need .82g per pound of anything is living in the land of unicorns because you can't measure that precisely.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Recovery is the thing people screw up more than anything else. There's no supplement, no macro ratio, no meal timing that can counter crappy recovery.
  • trigden1991
    Options
    CipherZero wrote: »
    Recovery is the thing people screw up more than anything else. There's no supplement, no macro ratio, no meal timing that can counter crappy recovery.

I agree with you but you are neglecting to consider PED's which many people consider supplements.
  • CipherZero
    Options

I agree with you but you are neglecting to consider PED's which many people consider supplements.

While PEDs may change what constitutes recovery, they don't remove the need for it.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

While PEDs may change what constitutes recovery, they don't remove the need for it.

You say that as if people on gear think that they can live in a power rack without getting tired.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Ohh man if sleep is that important when building muscle I'm doomed lol. I'm bulking and definitely getting nowhere near enough sleep (8 month old fussy/teething baby.. yikes) :s
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Why not consuming protein before sleep? Just a study I googled.

eta: I was never inclined to think that protein timing really ever matter IMHO.. It is posted all over these boards, meal timing is not important or essential, so..

http://easacademy.org/research-news/article/protein-drinks-before-bed-may-aid-in-muscle-recovery
  • trigden1991
    Options

I am by no means insinuating that because someone takes PED's they can lift weights constantly for 24 hours with no regard for rest or sleep. However they do allow the individual to drastically increase frequency, intensity and volume without having to be too concerned about being ready for the next session.
  • CipherZero
    Options

You say that as if people on gear think that they can live in a power rack without getting tired.

I'm saying that because people think people on gear can live in a power rack without getting tired.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

I'm saying that because people think people on gear can live in a power rack without getting tired.

Point taken. *kitten* it, let em all dbol up, give it a go, damn near kill themselves, and let them realize that the *kitten* isn't magical.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

Point taken. *kitten* it, let em all dbol up, give it a go, damn near kill themselves, and let them realize that the *kitten* isn't magical.

Very unlikely to damn near kill themselves if proper precautions are taken when running gear, such as regular bloods, and a solid AI/PCT Protocol :smile:

I was referring to his statement that people in general (generally those who know *kitten* all about anabolics or hard training) believe that steroids can turn you into a training cyborg.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Why not consuming protein before sleep? Just a study I googled.

eta: I was never inclined to think that protein timing really ever matter IMHO.. It is posted all over these boards, meal timing is not important or essential, so..

http://easacademy.org/research-news/article/protein-drinks-before-bed-may-aid-in-muscle-recovery

The limitation listed in that study is so spectacularly confounding that I am not sure how they even secured funding.