Fitness, exercise and MY DOG...HELP!!! How do you do it :/

Options

Replies

• Godblessedmom
    Godblessedmom Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Obedience class is a good idea. We have a new dog and I have used the tips by Cesar. It is working. Here is a link.

https://www.cesarsway.com/dog-training/walking/6-tips-for-mastering-the-dog-walk

You can find videos on Cesar Millan and his way of walking a dog. Good luck!!

• STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »
    He will be much happier once trained.

To run with the dog, first he's got to learn to heel, and to go on exercise walks (as opposed to sniff and pee walks). We use the "choke chain" type collar shown above, and taught him heel with treats. At first he would only heel inside the house, away from all distractions! But he figured it out eventually. Getting him neutered did make a difference too.

Also note, a powerful dog is not safe unless trained. You will be in big trouble if he isn't controlled well. They don't mind being trained, pits are smart dogs and enjoy learning.

thanks for weighing in on this @robininfl . he is very smart... My daughter trained him to speak, ring the bell to potty, high five, stay, roll over, etc....but once outside and those distractions kick in he is disobidient and we look like the family that can't control their dog...AND DID I SAY I HATE WALKING HIM NOW??? AND MY VISION OF EXERCISING WITH HIM HAS DIMINISHED.....
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Definitely sign him up immediately for obedience classes! My puppy is 9 months old and is on his 3rd class. He for sure will need more training - but at least we've got a good start at training.
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    Definitely sign him up immediately for obedience classes! My puppy is 9 months old and is on his 3rd class. He for sure will need more training - but at least we've got a good start at training.

Yes, I am convinced he needs professional training... What's the typical cost for training and what type of stuff do they normally teach dogs?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »

Yes, I am convinced he needs professional training... What's the typical cost for training and what type of stuff do they normally teach dogs?

You mentioned PetSmart earlier and I know some of those stores offer training. We put one of our dogs through the puppy class and it was very helpful. She was, and is, a little crazy and loves other dogs, too. You may need to do a little pre-work with him but if they offer it in your area you might go in and talk to one of the instructors.

I'd highly suggest a group training situation at some point since he gets so excited around other dogs. It will be tough at first because he'll be hard to work with but training with him in a busy store with other dogs and people around will help him get over the behavior much more quickly than if you trained him on your own at home. I'd definitely tell the instructor up front about his behavior so he can be ready for it. Not that trainers aren't used to dogs just like that but so that they can compensate for it in advance.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    dont let him sniff, is he on a leash? tell him "leave it" and keep walking , pull him off it and get his attention on you with a treat or something. And walk faster, if you are walking quick he wont have time to stop and sniff, he'll be going too fast. Dogs are creatures of habit, the more you walk and dont let him sniff or pee the better he'll get at walking nicely with you. Go to obedience class asap.
    Yes, he is on a leash. But he has gotten pretty strong. A couple of times he has popped the collar pulling or yanking away when he sees another person or if another dog barks at him. He is super nice, but looks intimidating. He would run full speed to a person or another dog and then immediately stop and sniff you. If that were me, I would pee in my pants. And with it being so many dogs in the neighborhood, causes for a bad walk...

Someone suggested to me neutering him as well...but I'm not educated enough to make this call yet...but anything to get him focused.....

Absolutely neutering will help with some of the issues and prevent other potential health issues in the future. The sooner the better actually.

Also may want to look into a dog park... a place you can go and he can be off leash and have free time for him, then leash time is for you. Or a different leash for running and just bringing him out to pee and poop. Let him have some time to be a dog, but some time he is there to exercise with you and focus on you. Dogs are smart and if you are consistent early it can work.
  • sweetcore
    sweetcore Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Something that really works for me is a head collar. The difference is crazy! Put my dog in any other collar/halter and he will yank me, but with a head collar (wraps around his muzzle and neck) he becomes a new dog. I highly recommend it.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    So I've got a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, a rescue who had been neglected, possibly abused, by a former owner.

What I've found is different harnesses and collars are appropriate to different contexts, and he recognises what each means.

When we're out for a dog walk then he's on a shorter leash and stays close to me, that gives me much more control and using a chest harness I can keep him moving without letting him stop and sniff.

When we're on a more leisurely walk then he's on an extending lead that allows him a bit more range to explore. That needs a firm tone when he's dawdling and he has to come to me. Sounds like you need to work on this, so as upthread some form of classes will help. Those classes are for you as much as him, you need to be the Alpha and he needs to recognise that.

Authority is exercised on the shorter leash, and at home, and you need to learn to do that.

He also has a Canicross harness and bungee leash, and when that's on he knows we're running. The only real issue there is the need for nature stops, which can be a but inopportune. You learn how to stop swiftly when they squat without warning.

I would also agree with the value in neutering. It does help moderate the behaviour.
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    sweetcore wrote: »
    Something that really works for me is a head collar. The difference is crazy! Put my dog in any other collar/halter and he will yank me, but with a head collar (wraps around his muzzle and neck) he becomes a new dog. I highly recommend it.
    I did purchase one of these. Bc like I said he pops his collar and the chain I have hurts my hand from the pulling and yanking.
  • Alishia6606
    Alishia6606 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    in43p82rjbdm.jpg

The pretty boy on the left is my bandit. He is 10 and very well trained. He runs with me and walks. He knows when it's time to exercise and when to play. Most times he is on a leash but doesn't pull or jerk. (He's only off the leash in my front yard but he doesn't leave my side)

The pretty girl on the right is Sadie. (She's more fluff than anything) she has been to obedience classes several times and is still a struggle to walk. She has to have a harness and would rather smell everything than walk.

Basically, obedience classes don't always work and it's all in how they are handled. Show your pup who is in charge, but let him have his fun too.
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    I just haven't used it yet.
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    So I've got a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, a rescue who had been neglected, possibly abused, by a former owner.

What I've found is different harnesses and collars are appropriate to different contexts, and he recognises what each means.

When we're out for a dog walk then he's on a shorter leash and stays close to me, that gives me much more control and using a chest harness I can keep him moving without letting him stop and sniff.

When we're on a more leisurely walk then he's on an extending lead that allows him a bit more range to explore. That needs a firm tone when he's dawdling and he has to come to me. Sounds like you need to work on this, so as upthread some form of classes will help. Those classes are for you as much as him, you need to be the Alpha and he needs to recognise that.

Authority is exercised on the shorter leash, and at home, and you need to learn to do that.

He also has a Canicross harness and bungee leash, and when that's on he knows we're running. The only real issue there is the need for nature stops, which can be a but inopportune. You learn how to stop swiftly when they squat without warning.

I would also agree with the value in neutering. It does help moderate the behaviour.

Wow, this is smart. I never thought of this.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    He needs some training, or he's going to be a nightmare. We have a 14 week old American Staffy X which is already trained to sit and watch other people and dogs when we're out walking, and that there is a time to sniff and a time to leave it.

At 9 months, your dog is too young for structured runs, it can affect his joints. I had the same ideas as you of running with my pup but I've learned I'm going to have to hold off until he's at least 18 months.

Regarding the sniffing - they do that. It's how they explore and learn. We have broken walks into 2 types - the exercise walk, which takes the same route every time (thus making it less interesting) and the sniffy walk, where we take him to new places and let him noodle around and sniff. Exercise walk is short leash, sniffy walk is longer retractable leash.

It's important that they get the chance to explore their world, it makes them a better behaved dog, and takes the novelty off new things. The less they get to experience different things in their own way, the more excited they get when something new crosses their path. By letting him sniff all the other smells, he's less likely to lose his mind when something new crosses his path.

Remember you are going to have to work with him - he's not going to do exactly what you want without work, and you're going to have to let him do some of the things he wants, or you're going to end up with an unhappy dog.
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Obedience class is a good idea. We have a new dog and I have used the tips by Cesar. It is working. Here is a link.

https://www.cesarsway.com/dog-training/walking/6-tips-for-mastering-the-dog-walk

You can find videos on Cesar Millan and his way of walking a dog. Good luck!!

I recommend The Dog Whisperer technique too....if dogs are in run mode they ignore just about everything, when walking they are investigating and searching getting to know who's in the neighborhood and then leaving their scent...funny animals. I have a toy poodle (scared of other dogs) and a havernese (my social butterfly). My ex has pit bulls (friendly, head strong, lovable). I've walked them before as young dogs...they are very strong and hard to control without the right leash, and definitely obedience school is a must cause pretty soon he will be dragging you and you will not be able to control him. When walking dogs they are suppose to be right at your side, not ahead of you. You might need two hands and wrap leash around your hands to control him until he learns his rightful spot at.... your side or behind...cause you are the leader of the pack, not him. Many animal shelters neuter pits for free. Check it out. Someone mentioned PetSmart. The people at my local one are very friendly and knowledgeble. They can guide you to the right leash, etc. and they offer dog training. My local human society offers free training on a first-come basis. BTW...He's a handsome fellow...
  • PoundChaser2
    PoundChaser2 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I can tell you one problem you have with your cutie hes not neutered which makes him a little bit more excited to stop and smell all the flowers during your run and he might become agressive towards other dogs and people if you don't neuter him. My neighbor has female pit bull "diamond" and that dog is a law suit waiting to happen not spayed extremely aggressive even though she is very loved by her people and they don't breed her the husband doesnt believe in spaying "shaking my head" I don't get that one. Not every dog is cut out to run, just like people some of us just don't want to run we would rather sniff the flowers on a nice long walk. You could walk him for 30 mins and take him home and go run by yourself its a win-win for you and him you get to slim down get fit and he can be a couch potatoe.

Good luck hes very hansome reminds me of the dog from turner and hooch.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I also second (third? fourth?) neutering your dog.
  • Pathman1
    Pathman1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I run my dog in retriever competitions so she's very well trained (I trained her myself). She heals off leash no matter what's around. An unleashed dog could run up and sniff her rear at the same time a kid runs up and tries to feed her a hotdog and she won't break her heal.

The first thing to do is don't walk when he pulls on lead. Just stop and don't move until he heals and sits nicely by your side, then continue your walk, even if it's only two steps until you repeat the process. You are trying to teach the concept that walking only occurs when he follows your rules.

Those group obedience classes are fine but a trainer that boards him while he trains him will give you a much better dog. In my area they run $20-25 a day and basic obedience takes around a month. But starting with a dog that already has bad habits will extend that time.

Good luck.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    my city seems to have more dog owners than parents, and they seem to have a real community spirit.

you sound a bit overwhelmed. so if it's the same where you live, could you reach out to people you meet with dogs that seem to be more with the program than yours? compliment their pet's manners and ask where they got the guidance, and that way you can start collecting local suggestions and a little on-ground support. i'm thinking the same kind of thing as when you see a woman with an amazing haircut and tell her you just have to ask :p

disclaimer: dogs do nothing for me, personally. but i respect the ones that i meet who have manners.
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Get that boy to class. They don't come trained. That's our job. He should be learning sit, down, stay, COME (super important to his safety), and loose leash walking/heeling. A class or trainer will also help with getting him focused on you and not everything else and will give you tools to help refocus him. Pitties are strong and highly energetic, especially as youngsters, and the more schooling he can get, the easier your life will be with him. Also, because of all the stigma behind the breed, having him well trained will make him a good ambassador for the breed, and they need all they can get. I would encourage you to aim toward a Canine Good Citizen certification (a program for dogs set up by the AKC that proves a dog is, well, a good citizen). Most obedience schools will have classes that end in going through the final testing.

And, please please, get him neutered. I love pitties, but we really don't need more.

As for exercising with him, I don't put a lot of emphasis on burning calories with my girls. I walk with them for their enjoyment and enrichment and their exercise. If I do want to walk a bit more vigorously and move on a bit (usually while hiking), I give them a few minutes to sniff, pee, and generally explore. Then I just don't let them. I don't run with them, but mostly because my big girl is older and a bit arthritic and can do more miles walking and hiking on dirt and gras than running. The little one would be game for it, but it's been too hot....and I don't like taking her and leaving my big girl (my true love) behind!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    For Pete's sake, as a dog lover - especially of Pits - get him neutered ASAP.