What's the flaw in this regimen? [long plateau]

Options
Hey message boards. I've been stuck at my current weight for about 6-7 months and looking for some advice on changes to make. I thought my routine was pretty well-researched and composed, but clearly there's some fault in it since I've been stalled for so long.

My stats:

> female, 25 y/o, extremely sedentary (desk job) during the day
> Current body stats: 163cm tall (5'3"), 58kg (128lb), 28% BFP
> Desired/Goals: 53kg (116lb) with ~21% BFP

Current health/diet/exercise regimen:

> between 1000 - 1200 net calories a day, focus on quality protein, good fats and veg
(no cheat meals/days planned, but according to reports I go over limit maybe 4 days a month)
> 1.5 ~ 2L water daily
> weights routine 3 times a week (Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength, modified slightly to rely more on machines than free weights because I'm just not that strong)
> HIIT 2-3 times a week between weights days, usually Tabata Intervals
> steady state cardio/LISS once a week, if I can manage it -- I like to hike/go on long walks (2-3 hr) but the weather has been garbage lately
> sleep fluctuates wildly but is usually between 7-9 hr

Last time I hit a plateau at 61kg 4chan's /fit/ board unanimously said "hey, you're a tiny and really sedentary woman, 1400 - 1600 calories is too much, drop it down to 1000 - 1200". I followed that advice and dropped another 4kg over a few months and now I'm stuck again.

I'm not willing to drop my calorie intake below 1k, so where do I go from here? Any advice?

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    No never increase your deficit further. You are at the very bottom of the recommended intake to lose weight.

It appears that this very low calorie intake has possibly caused you to plateau, but before that can be determined:

1) How are you measuring your food intake here on MFP? Do you use a food scale to weigh and measure the 1000 to 1200 calories?

2) Do you track exercise? If so do you eat back any exercise calorie burns?

3) Are there any medical issues or medications that you take?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating, not netting?
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Between 1000 and 1200 calorie per day looks about right considering your age, height, weight and activities so I wold be looking at logging inaccuracies as the first place to investigate.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Good spot on the net cals! This is the $1m dollar question.
    43501 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    No never increase your deficit further. You are at the very bottom of the recommended intake to lose weight.

It appears that this very low calorie intake has possibly caused you to plateau, but before that can be determined:

1) How are you measuring your food intake here on MFP? Do you use a food scale to weigh and measure the 1000 to 1200 calories?

Yeah, at this point I wouldn't drop it any further and I do worry that the bird-worthy diet might've caused it, but the same people who suggested the drop also generally believe "starvation mode" or whatever to be a myth. I've heard so many conflicting accounts on that that I just don't know what holds true anymore.

1) Yeah. I mostly prepare my own food so I weigh everything (by ingredient) on an electronic kitchen scale. Things like rice are weighed dry before they're cooked, not after. If I'm eating something from a packet or tin I'll input the data on the label.

2) I do, and yes, which is why I provided net cals rather than cals eaten.

3) Nope.

I had to go and check my reports on this since I focus a lot on the net. Over the last 3 months most days the calories I actually ate were between 1,300 and 1,400 in a day.

I've only had 1,500 or more 2 days in the last 90 days.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    You could use this time to recomp during the stall. Plus since you are sedentary, then perhaps you could up daily activity level a smidgen at the same time so you won't have to go even lower in calories? Find ways in your everyday life like taking stairs instead of elevator, park further away, stand and pace a bit during work breaks, etc. Those are easy things that are not too hard to implement.
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    43501 wrote: »

Yeah, at this point I wouldn't drop it any further and I do worry that the bird-worthy diet might've caused it, but the same people who suggested the drop also generally believe "starvation mode" or whatever to be a myth. I've heard so many conflicting accounts on that that I just don't know what holds true anymore.

1) Yeah. I mostly prepare my own food so I weigh everything (by ingredient) on an electronic kitchen scale. Things like rice are weighed dry before they're cooked, not after. If I'm eating something from a packet or tin I'll input the data on the label.

3) Nope.

I had to go and check my reports on this since I focus a lot on the net. Over the last 3 months most days the calories I actually ate were between 1,300 and 1,400 in a day.

Have you by chance considered getting off the deficit for a period of time and going into maintenance? It looks like you could reverse diet, go to maintenance and recomp for a while.
    edited September 2016
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    You could use this time to recomp during the stall. Plus since you are sedentary, then perhaps you could up daily activity level a smidgen at the same time so you won't have to go even lower in calories? Find ways in your everyday life like taking stairs instead of elevator, park further away, stand and pace a bit during work breaks, etc. Those are easy things that are not too hard to implement.
    Have you by chance considered getting off the deficit for a period of time and going into maintenance? It looks like you could reverse diet, go to maintenance and recomp for a while.

Oh boy. Alright. This seems to be becoming a unanimous piece of advice (won't hurt me to try to find options to move more, too).

It's not something I've ever done but anything's worth a shot at this point. Then I'll just drop a few more questions about that:

1) how much should I up my cal intake by?
    2) how long should I recover for before I re-deficit?

I'll continue doing everything else the same.
  • DebSozo
    Options

3) Nope.

This does work! ^

OP, I thought that I was doomed to eating only 1200-1500 calories also. But you can reverse diet and successfully increase calories without gaining weight. Do it slowly-- 50 calorie daily increments at a time. Research how to do this properly. If you jump up a couple hundred calories a day, for instance, you will likely gain weight. Inch up slowly.
  • RoxieDawn
    edited September 2016
    Options

Oh boy. Alright. This seems to be becoming a unanimous piece of advice (won't hurt me to try to find options to move more, too).

It's not something I've ever done but anything's worth a shot at this point. Then I'll just drop a few more questions about that:

1) You can change MFP from lose to maintain. Get this number and either up right away to this amount or do it slowly. But your metabolism has slowed so take 10% off this amount. Might not be a huge number but it might matter a little bit. Doing it all at once may be a bit too much for some. I personally do it slower my self.

2) My recommendation is the the idea of a full diet break typically a min of 10-14 days but can be as long as you want.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    It took me a while to recover. I love it though because:
    I did not gain weight.
    I lost body size and muscles got firm.
    I am not tired.
    I feel so much stronger and better now.

I plateaued for some time and experienced "diet fatigue". Sometimes a little break from dieting makes a huge difference emotionally and physically. Don't go back to old eating habits and keep track of your calories and adjust them down if you start gaining again.

Options
    Got it. I'll implement your advice but I'll probably endeavor to go the slow approach as both of you suggested, because I'm positive that yes, my metabolism has slowed somewhat.

Going to go read around on the subject for a better idea of what to do. Thank you so much for your time.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

In general i recommend upping the intake by 10% each week until reaching your maintenance. This usually takes 6-10 weeks depending on how low your calories were and how much you actually maintain on.

I like to maintain for 4 weeks and then begin another slow deficit working my way down (again, 10% each week) until reaching my desired deficit.

I personally do not cut for longer than 12 weeks (going down into the deficit as well as going back up into my maintenance).
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I'm going to disagree with the advice you've been given here. If you've been stuck at your weight, you've been eating at maintenance.

I think the niggle with you is your calculation of net calories.

Calculating calorie burns, especially for lifting, is really a tough thing to estimate.

While I wouldn't recommend necessarily dropping your calories for calculation purposes, I'd recommend dropping your intake slightly, especially since you're not getting much cardio (which tends to give you more calories to eat back). Drop your intake just 100 calories a day and see if that gets you moving again.
  • DebSozo
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I'm going to disagree with the advice you've been given here. If you've been stuck at your weight, you've been eating at maintenance.

Calculating calorie burns, especially for lifting, is really a tough thing to estimate.

While I wouldn't recommend necessarily dropping your calories for calculation purposes, I'd recommend dropping your intake slightly, especially since you're not getting much cardio (which tends to give you more calories to eat back). Drop your intake just 100 calories a day and see if that gets you moving again.

Sorry, but OP honestly should not be at maintenance at 1200 calories and is probably miserable. People told me what you are saying, and I even tried dropping down to 1100 calories (before MFP) but it was too low to be happy on. Now I am very happy and upped my calorie maintenance level close to 1800-2000. I can eat normally again! Recomp and reverse dieting works for me.
  • RoxieDawn
    edited September 2016
    Options

The idea is that this maintenance you mention is not normal maintenance. The idea is break homeostasis and reset her metabolism back from this new norm she has been at for a while while consuming very low calories.

OP clearly demonstrated her calculated intake through carefully weighing and measuring and eating back some exercise cals.

Going lower than 1000 - 1200 is very bad advice.

edited September 2016
    Options

I do weight train quite a bit and freely admit that getting a solid number on the calories burned from that is... tricky. I usually don't bother to track weights anymore, only cardio (whether steady-state or interval), since the numbers from that are a bit more solid.

Probably still going to give recomp a shot for a little while since 2-3 weeks isn't all that long and I won't go crazy with it.

@DebSozo It's pretty low and restrictive but I've adapted (for better and worse, as we can see). I'm going to build myself back to 1600 for a bit. I don't think I have the appetite to manage 1800 - 2000 cal, lmao.

EDIT: Also, I don't think I'm overestimating my burns since I'm not tracking weights. I actually do think my issue is a combination of a garbage metabolism and a lot of inactivity, based on what's being discussed here. Going to the gym almost daily doesn't really negate the fact that I spend every bit of my life outside of it sitting at a computer.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

I do weight train quite a bit and freely admit that getting a solid number on the calories burned from that is... tricky. I usually don't bother to track weights anymore, only cardio (whether steady-state or interval), since the numbers from that are a bit more solid.

Probably still going to give recomp a shot for a little while since 2-3 weeks isn't all that long and I won't go crazy with it.

@DebSozo It's pretty low and restrictive but I've adapted (for better and worse, as we can see). I'm going to build myself back to 1600 for a bit. I don't think I have the appetite to manage 1800 - 2000 cal, lmao.

Well, the flaw with your reasoning here is that recomp is a long game. 2-3 weeks isn't really enough time to see any results from it.

You'll just be doing the same thing you've been doing, basically.

I've been in your shoes.

My advice to you is to take a diet break, and then reassess your goals. Do you want to weigh less and be really lean? If the answer is yes, the break might give you the push you need to come back with enough commitment to see through sticking to a slightly lower intake. If not, you can always come back from the break and do recomp and stay your current weight.