Emotionally fed up about loosing weight

Options
I am 29, 5'5" and currently weight 322lbs. A week ago I was 319 and two weeks ago I was 315. This is partially going to be a poor me emotional vent but I am also looking for support, understanding and tips.

I live with my boyfriend of 12 years and our disabled nephew. At first the weight gain didn't bother me. I was 160 when we got together 12 years ago and I always looked skinnier than the numbers. Recently, my stomach "dropped" and hangs over my pants causing cysts occasionally and my weight has started getting in the way of things. I am happy as a plus size woman, just not this plus size.

My Dr has been harping on me like crazy to drop the weight but he also refuses to do anything to help. (Poor me part coming up)

I have been trying to cut my calories down to 1500 and then tried 1700 when the first one failed. I live in a town with no close friends to exercise with, hubby works 12 hour 2nd shifts and doesn't have time or the need to work out, we are barely able to pay bills, let alone a gym membership, and I have this phobia of doing things alone or in public so even going for a walk at 3am is a challenge for me. I tried the treadmill at home but my heart rate jumped over 220 so the dr told me to stop that.

Add to that the fact that we are TIGHTLY strapped financially and most of the healthy foods, no one in my house will eat. I am not suppose to have corn, peas, green beans or potatoes and those are the only ones my household will touch. (Broccoli is ok for them but only smothered in cheese). I try cutting calories/carbs myself, but then I feel like I am starving (headaches, mood swings, stomach pains).

I posted online once, looking for a walking partner, but that only made me feel worse about myself because she was fitter than I was and made me feel bad about walking slower or having cramps in my feet/legs/back.

I know others have been in the same situation (close or worse) and have been successful, so could I get some advice, tips or basically anything? The way I am going (and feeling) I might as well give up and end up being 600 lbs when I die.

Replies

• lenacrigger
    lenacrigger Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am suppose to be low carb because I have Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome and insulin resistance. So the dr said no green beans, peas, corn or potatoes, cut out breads, pastas and some dairy, fruits I have to watch due to sugars which turn to carbs, and nuts I have to watch too.

Most of my meals are either chicken breasts (boneless, skinless, with all fat cut off, baked/grilled or pan fried for things like Alfredo/chicken pizza), ground beef (grilled burgers or stove top for tacos/meatloaf etc), potatoes are almost always a dinner side (mashed or roasted) with corn/green beans/salad.

My biggest concern are "snacks". I am home basically alone every day so I eat when bored too. I did buy grapes to snack on, but I also find sweets in the house or carb laden food. Burritos, pizza, TV dinner Alfredo, etc.

On a side note: my sister in law lives in the town that my old man works in, so I did call her and see if she is willing to have me over daily (when he doesn't work 12's, and go walking around town.

How do you all fight boredom eating when there really isn't much besides computer or TV to distract yourself?
  • lenacrigger
    lenacrigger Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    2lbs a week is 1,700
    1.5lbs a week is 1,990
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    I am suppose to be low carb because I have Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome and insulin resistance. So the dr said no green beans, peas, corn or potatoes, cut out breads, pastas and some dairy, fruits I have to watch due to sugars which turn to carbs, and nuts I have to watch too.

Most of my meals are either chicken breasts (boneless, skinless, with all fat cut off, baked/grilled or pan fried for things like Alfredo/chicken pizza), ground beef (grilled burgers or stove top for tacos/meatloaf etc), potatoes are almost always a dinner side (mashed or roasted) with corn/green beans/salad.

My biggest concern are "snacks". I am home basically alone every day so I eat when bored too. I did buy grapes to snack on, but I also find sweets in the house or carb laden food. Burritos, pizza, TV dinner Alfredo, etc.

On a side note: my sister in law lives in the town that my old man works in, so I did call her and see if she is willing to have me over daily (when he doesn't work 12's, and go walking around town.

How do you all fight boredom eating when there really isn't much besides computer or TV to distract yourself?

I work or workout.
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    You've come to the right place for support - we ALL have weight issues to one degree or another, so don't feel as if you're alone.

1. From the sounds of it, you're putting yourself into starvation mode by exercising alot AND cutting way back on your calories at the same time. Bodies don't work that way. Calorie deficit is one thing, but you might be going too far. Oddly enough, eating smaller, but more meals during the day - counterintuitive as it sounds - works.
    2. Water - works wonders - especially before a meal, when it provides a fuller feeling. Try it.
    3. Diet is pretty simple (a) what you eat (b) how much you eat and (c) when you eat. I can get into all kinds of mind-numbing details, but those are the basics and they don't cost a dime.
    4. Shop the perimeter of the store - stay out of the middle aisles where the pre-processed and salt-laden food resides. Basically, if it didn't have a mother or you didn't pick it -- don't eat it.

There are lots of people here willing to help out, PROVIDED you're committed to putting in the work. You CAN do this
  • thenananator
    thenananator Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Being real and honest with yourself is the most important thing right now, I think. Your health is the end game here and it seems like a long way away but time goes by so quickly....I would encourage you to get up, put on a coat and walk around your house....a few times. Move like that every day. A few times a day. Our ancestors did not have gym memberships, equipment, foofy damn food. They moved. Moved hard. Moved often. You can do this, you are not an anomaly, the weight will come off. Calories In. Calories Out to begin, coupled with moving and once the weight starts to move in a downward trend, you will be able to focus on the details of your nutrition. Simply, you can do this. You must do it. and as one poster said, your family needs to see the end game. Come here every day and read about everyone's journey, read about fitness, catch the energy that lives here. You can do it.
  • KaseyWolf
    KaseyWolf Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Have you tried jazzing up the walk? Find some exotic place to learn about and "walk" it. I did a few challenges that mimicked the trail the hobbits walked and it was a riot. Also for healthy foods I used to do carrot chips instead of corn chips and salsa..even toss in some greek yogurt. My go to snack is usually jerky or roasted edamame as they are high in protein. Never give up and never quit!