Sensitive Subject

Options
DeficitDuchess
DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
I've been trying to figure, how to deal with this situation; on my own but I am unable to & to figure how to ask someone this, without being offensive; although I doubt it's possible. So I'm just going to ask but please know, that my intent; isn't to offend anyone.

How'd you deal with a situation, in which a guest might exceed the weight limit; of your furniture?

Replies

• melmelw03
    melmelw03 Posts: 5,338 Member
    Options
    More details needed.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    I've never had it happen! How small is your furniture in relation to the guests?
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say that if the chair is too small, the guest will already know that anyways. There is a good chance this situation may happen often for them, if they are really that big. I'd say not mention anything, your guest probably knows how to handle it themselves.
  • Kettle_Belle14
    Kettle_Belle14 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Sit in the chair before they have a chance to?
  • DeficitDuchess
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Well I have a futon an 2 chaises, that replace traditional living room furniture; that'd normally accommodate weights above 300 pounds but my furniture doesn't. I don't know for sure, the weight of the guest but I suspect, that they exceed it & I don't have a dining set because there wasn't room for it because of my building a home gym & my gym equipment, also has low weight limits because it isn't commercial grade.
  • Iscah13
    Iscah13 Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I had both my mother and my sister bust through two of my kitchen chairs. They were cheap chairs and I warned them before hand. This probably isn't helpful but maybe warn the guest your furniture is cheap? never mind...my advice is bad.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    Usually, people who are very large are aware of these issues and have dealt with them before. They can tell for themselves where the safest place is for them to sit.

More details would help, though, because if you're concerned about your furniture then you may need to move it in another room and set out sturdier chairs for everyone to sit in so that the heavy person doesn't feel singled out.
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    Unless you planned on them standing the whole time, you'll have to direct them to a chair that can accommodate them.
  • DeficitDuchess
    Options
    Unfortunately I don't have any other furniture & it looks sturdy enough to me, that I was shocked by the weight limit. So I am uncertain if, they'd just know; not to sit on it.
  • km8907
    Options
    Most people will assume that unless it's a plastic lawn chair or they're 500 pounds, that most furniture will not break under them, so most likely they'll try to sit on it. How long will they be at your house?
  • DeficitDuchess
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Unfortunately I don't have any other furniture & it looks sturdy enough to me, that I was shocked by the weight limit. So I am uncertain if, they'd just know; not to sit on it.

No they're not going to know. Just cancel the visit. Or go with the best response of this thread courtesy of @138shades

It's a mandatory paperwork issue, in which the person comes to your home; so canceling and/or meeting some place else, isn't possible.
  • DeficitDuchess
    Options
    138shades wrote: »
    newmeadow wrote: »

No they're not going to know. Just cancel the visit. Or go with the best response of this thread courtesy of @138shades

It's a mandatory paperwork issue, in which the person comes to your home; so canceling and/or meeting some place else, isn't possible.

Having to come to a person's house being mandatory? I've never heard of that. Heck you can have it on your front porch IF it has to be on the residence. You don't seem to care too much about this person so I would assume it wouldn't be hard pulling up a chair and saying hey........sit here and we can get down to business.

I just said that I don't have any other furniture & I do care about them, potentially being hurt, physically and/or their feelings. They have to come to my home because I am disabled.
  • PowerMan40
    PowerMan40 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I dont know, anyone who is big enough to break furniture.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    I just cross my fingers. That's all you can really do, playa.

• km8907
    Options
    To be honest, it could probably take more weight, but for liability issues, they put way less.