Midnight Pee + Cottonmouth

Options
I had no idea where to post this.
But never in my life have I been the type to wake up in the middle of the night to pee, but for the past week or so, I wake up once between 12-4 AM to pee. A LOT! And I also have horrible cotton mouth.
My diet hasn't really changed in the past month, and the weather is cooler.. so what's going on?
Does this happen to the rest of you? It's just so new for me, that I was getting a little annoyed.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Doctor.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I can't remember the last time I have NOT gotten up in the middle of night, and I stop drinking at 5:00 in the evening..

Are you still new to decreasing calories in general means less carbs perhaps? On any medication?
    Adjusted carbs, increased your hydration, reduced sodium? anything.. ?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I pee 2-3 times throughout the night. It started happening when I changed my diet a few years ago. I've gotten used to it. You may just be noticing the cotton mouth (thirst) because you're actually waking up. I have kept a glass of water by my bed for over 10 years because I'm thirsty if I wake up in the middle of the night.
  • savingfatsamira
    savingfatsamira Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    I can't remember the last time I have NOT gotten up in the middle of night, and I stop drinking at 5:00 in the evening..

Are you still new to decreasing calories in general means less carbs perhaps? On any medication?

I stop drinking around 8, and go to bed at 9:30 -10.
    I've only been doing this about a month. Decreased carbs and sodium. And severely increased my hydration. I used to only drink sofa, and now I ONLY drink water. No medication.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

I've only been doing this about a month. Decreased carbs and sodium. And severely increased my hydration. I used to only drink sofa, and now I ONLY drink water. No medication.

So...there you go. A month of change has caught up with you.

I find that I pee a lot because I eat a lot of watery vegetables as well.
  • charlenekapf
    charlenekapf Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I pee at least 2-3 x a night.. it's horrible but i try to just go back to bed and not think about anything, leave all lights off, don't check time or phone etc. wish i had an answer.
  • Lulaica
    Lulaica Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I usually take a bathroom run between 2-4 AM most nights, which is because of the amount of water I'm drinking during the day (especially in the evening). I'm so groggy when I wake up and stumble through the house hoping that no cats are deciding to play toll booth operator with the halls. And then when I get back to bed, I hope my other cat hasn't woken up since paces around for a while before going back to bed.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options

I have to stop drinking several hours before bed in order to have any hope at all of not waking to pee.

Are your sinuses blocked, leading you to breath through your nose? That would cause dry mouth.

• savingfatsamira
    Options
    ElishaCA wrote: »
    Increased thirst coupled with increased urine output could be a sign of diabetes. You should get checked out by your doc.

I had a full checkup less than a year ago. No where near diabetes. And I check my blood sugar with my grandma's thing periodically. It's always in the normal range.

• savingfatsamira
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I have to stop drinking several hours before bed in order to have any hope at all of not waking to pee.

Are your sinuses blocked, leading you to breath through your nose? That would cause dry mouth.

I have been a little stuffed up lately. That makes sense.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options

A month is about the time the body start catching up to the things you do while dieting.. And you have decreased carbs and sodium and increased hydration.. these are all changes in your diet.

I get up at least two times, the second time I usually am getting up anyway or close to it.. Get used to it.. :)

Might want to stop drinking a lot earlier than an hour or two before bedtime.. If you have been hydrating through the day, no need to hydrate this soon going to bed.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I agree with Elisha that you should have it looked at. And put a water glass in your bathroom and have a sip for the cottonmouth
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    More water in means more water out. With less sodium intake, your body can already hold less water than before. I don't think you need to see doctor for this, just clean up your routine a bit.
  • savingfatsamira
    Options
    More water in means more water out. With less sodium intake, your body can already hold less water than before. I don't think you need to see doctor for this, just clean up your routine a bit.

Clean it up in what ways?

• MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Lulaica wrote: »
    I usually take a bathroom run between 2-4 AM most nights, which is because of the amount of water I'm drinking during the day (especially in the evening). I'm so groggy when I wake up and stumble through the house hoping that no cats are deciding to play toll booth operator with the halls. And then when I get back to bed, I hope my other cat hasn't woken up since paces around for a while before going back to bed.

This had me laughing. I try really hard to be stealth when I wake up to pee at night - don't want to activate the cats. My one kitty has a game where he races me to the toilet and sits on the seat which has more than once almost had dire consequences for me. My other cats just get excited that I'm up and then won't leave me alone when I want to go back to bed. One wants to play and if I ignore him he dips his toy in the water bowl and drops it on my face, so needless to say I have become quite skilled at being very quite and not moving the bed when I get up lol.

OP - regarding your cottonmouth is it possible you're sleeping with your mouth open at night? Also, you may want to stop drinking liquids prior to bed and also watch water content in fruit. I used to eat berries and grapes right before bed and then Inwould have to go to the bathroom 3 or 4 times which killed my sleep - then I realized the fruit was making me have to go so I eat it earlier.
  • kommodevaran
    Options

Clean it up in what ways?

Eat more salt, and stop drinking 2-3 hours before bed. You can drink more earlier in the day if you want to.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    When i eat a lot of salad abd other watery veg i pee a lot. Could it be that?
  • Powerloon
    Powerloon Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sleep apnea.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,980 Member
    Options
    You've gotten good advice. I will add, is it possible you are pregnant? When I was pregnant with both of my kids the first symptom I had was waking up to pee during the night. I never did that at any other time in my 20's. As I got older though it has been pretty common for me to wake up during the night to pee and not drinking too late in the evening is the only thing that helps. Sinus problems and allergies can definitely be a cause for cotton mouth.