Sauna

Options
Does anyone log their time spent in a sauna? I'm starting out at 20 minutes after my workout, looking for some insight.

Thanks!
Melissa

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Run in place! Huzzah!!
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Somebody is trying to melt fat...
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Why would you log time sitting in a sauna?
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    If you're looking to burn calories in there, you'd have to stand. Then log how many you burn standing for that time. Sitting you won't burn much at all.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    You may lose some water via sweat but that will make you thirsty and drink water thus complete the circle of life. It only burns one calorie so I would log it. Logging it also burns one calorie so log that too and keep going until you burn the desired amount.
  • faidwen
    faidwen Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I spend about 35 minutes a day in the sauna. I don't log it, as there is absolutely no proof that it has ANY beneficial effects.

I do find it therapeutic, and I tend to meditate while in there. I also find that it helps sweat out excessive sodium.

All in all, it is a good time, but not strictly something I would log.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    log it as what? Time sitting, that is already covered in your daily cals, even if set as sedentary
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    OP - sweat is not indicative of calorie burn. It's just your body's way of cooling off. Some people sweat more than others. It's not that they are necessarily working any harder.

Just log intentional exercise, the rest is already covered by your activity level.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I always get a kick out people logging an activity that is better counted by fit bit steps. My favorite is "doing housework - vigorously"
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Does anyone log their time spent in a sauna? I'm starting out at 20 minutes after my workout, looking for some insight.

Thanks!
    Melissa

The only thing you're losing sitting in a sauna is water weight. Dehydration is not the same thing as burning fat.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Sit in there til you feel good, then enjoy the rest of your day!
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    10 minutes suffices for pushing out toxins and aiding in some recovery while your immune system is recovering from the workout. Outside of that I think more than 10 minutes is a waste of your time.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    rebel_26 wrote: »
    10 minutes suffices for pushing out toxins and aiding in some recovery while your immune system is recovering from the workout. Outside of that I think more than 10 minutes is a waste of your time.

What 'toxins' are you pushing out?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

wat.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Just log the distance you run to throw yourself naked into a snowbank.
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    https://riordanclinic.org/2011/12/detox-natural-cleansing-to-remove-body-toxins/

https://www.verywell.com/exercise-and-immunity-3120439
    at work a few years back I had a PT at my job place as we had a gym. He always recommended just relaxing post workout. He would recommend laying down on a mat for 10 minutes. I just go in the sauna. Most of the time its empty so I lay down in there and listen to music.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    https://riordanclinic.org/2011/12/detox-natural-cleansing-to-remove-body-toxins/

https://www.verywell.com/exercise-and-immunity-3120439
    at work a few years back I had a PT at my job place as we had a gym. He always recommended just relaxing post workout. He would recommend laying down on a mat for 10 minutes. I just go in the sauna. Most of the time its empty so I lay down in there and listen to music.

Do you happen to have anything reputable and scientific?