Sauna

Options
2»

Replies

• rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    On which point would you like something scientific? The lowering of immune system (pretty much any Dr. will tell you that occurs) or the toxins release? I can certainly look, but google and pubmed is your friend just like it is mine and I would think you can drill down into some of the research if you want to get clinical proof of benefits. The ultimate point of Steam and sauna is its a place to relax and/or decompress. Any health benefits that accompany that process are just a plus. I dont use it to "lose" weight as anything lost is water anyhow so its back in you when you exit and drink a beverage.
  • rebel_26
    Options
    sorry if that comment came off rude as that was not the intent. I was basically saying you likely have the same "tools" as I.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    But what toxins are you claiming get pushed out in a sauna?
  • rebel_26
    Options
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I read this
    rebel_26 wrote: »
    10 minutes suffices for pushing out toxins and aiding in some recovery while your immune system is recovering from the workout. Outside of that I think more than 10 minutes is a waste of your time.

What 'toxins' are you pushing out?

Well you could push something out while you were in there... I don't think other people would appreciate it though...

and then I read this immmediately below it and lost my *kitten*
    sijomial wrote: »
    Just log the distance you run to throw yourself naked into a snowbank.

• KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Run in place! Huzzah!!

Ha ha ha. Thanks. I needed that laugh!
  • KareninLux
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Just log the distance you run to throw yourself naked into a snowbank.

Second laugh of the day in 10 seconds on this thread. Lol.
  • KareninLux
    edited September 2016
    Options
    In all seriousness, now, I love saunas. I use them regularly and find them a wonderful, calming therapy. My husband even built one for us. I like a dry sauna especially, my skin feels great and my muscles recover faster especially after killer physio. But I do not consider it exercise.

(Edited because spelling is hard.)
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    10 minutes suffices for pushing out toxins and aiding in some recovery while your immune system is recovering from the workout. Outside of that I think more than 10 minutes is a waste of your time.

sacrilege.
  • rebel_26
    Options
    okay maybe 15 than?
    lodro wrote: »

sacrilege.

• Melissa_Edds
    Melissa_Edds Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Nice to meet all the rude ones. To someone who is new to fitness, I appreciate those who tried to be serious in explaining things to me.

• Ben_there_done_that
    Options
    I was wondering about the benefits of the sauna, as well. Thanks for starting the tread.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Does anyone log their time spent in a sauna? I'm starting out at 20 minutes after my workout, looking for some insight.

Thanks!
    Melissa

I would probably not log the time in the sauna. I think any calorie burn that you experience would be insignificant in the grand scheme of things, so I would just enjoy the time alone to relax and let any calorie burn contribute to the margin of error in calculations.
  • rebel_26
    Options
    I try to help when things hit inside my typical wheel house of daily events and or research.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Nice to meet all the rude ones. To someone who is new to fitness, I appreciate those who tried to be serious in explaining things to me.

A sense of humor is not rude. Try it. :)
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options

A sense of humor is not rude. Try it. :)
    o:) Was thinking the same thing! No one is being rude to you, they are just being their own funny selves. Please don't be so easily offended xo