Running shoe recommendation?

Options
RUNNERS; What's your favorite shoe to run in? Why?

Replies

• devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I prefer my Asics Gel Cumulus 16's. I'm neutral but I'm heavy so I need a thick sole. They make me feel like I'm running on little marshmallows.

If you're looking for you...get fitted. I did my first half marathon years ago in a pair of cheap a** basic Asics that I bought from Kohl's. I couldn't walk for a week afterwards...If only I knew then what I know now. :D
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    My personal preference is Brooks. I have a pair of Launch 3 that I really really enjoy. I've tried Muzino, I've tried Ascis, I've tried Adidas and I keep going back to my Brooks....

However Running shoes ARE NOT a one size fits all. You need to go to your local running store and have them examine how you walk, how you run and get you a shoe that fits your feet.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Just to show how unique we each are, I personally do not like Brooks. I tried 2 different shoes and dislike them both.

Find the type that works for your gait and then pick a shoe that you like. Forget brands, all manufacturers make decent shoes (at least the ones you find in a typical runners store). Find the one that YOU like best.

Good luck.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    YOUR shoe will be the one fitted for you. This is not a brand issue, but fit.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    The best shoe for me may not be the best shoe for you. If you have a running specialty shop locally go and get fitted (they should have a look at how high your arch is, your gait etc) and try on a number of pairs, your shoes should fit like a glove and be comfortable from the very first step.

• MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I loved my Nike Pegasus, but they changed them a few years ago and I've got Brooks Ravenna 7 right now. I think I may have found my replacement! I do need to use Superfeet inserts, though, since I have super high arches.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    New balance 870 v3... I love them but they're discontinued :cry: :cry: :cry:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    You should go get fitted at a running store where they will analyze your gait, arches, etc...if you pronate you don't want a neutral shoe...if you are neutral or under pronate you don't want a shoe that is designed to correct pronation...all of this is vastly more important than brand.

Once they determine the type of shoe you need they will bring out a few different brands for you to test out and from there it's just a matter of what is more comfortable for you.
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    My fit is a Hoka Vanquish 2. Bad feet so need pillows under mine to run. Try several different kinds on and take it from there. What's right for us, might not be right for you.
  • Monroe121
    Monroe121 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much all for your feedback!
  • maceopavia233
    maceopavia233 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have Nike Vomero 8 they are like clouds. It is a neutral shoe with a lot of cushioning.
  • chapiano
    chapiano Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Asic gels, used them for years
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    It depends.

For roads, Inov-8 RoadClaw 275 - neutral, low drop, light, flexible

For dry trails, Inov-8 Race Ultra 270 - neutral, low drop, light, quite stiff but moderate traction

Wet trails, Inov-8 MudClaw 300 - neutral, very good traction and open cleats, good ground feel

That said, I'm a 6ft1, 160lb trail marathoner, so your needs are likely to be different
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Get your foot sized and gait tested at your local running store. Run on their treadmill to try out the shoes. They will help you with the type of running should you need..
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Asics! They are super supportive and comfortable. Designed for people with feet issues.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I like mizuno wave inspire. Light stability for my flat feet, wider toe box. I also like my nike free flyknit for shorter runs
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    An observation I would make about these threads is that many respondents will throw out brand names as the answer, where most of these brands produce a range of different shoe styles suitable for different runners.

Even models change year on year, I know the Saucony Hurricane 16 changed so much from the 15 that I can't run in them, whereas I was comfortably knocking out regular 16 plus miles in the previous model.

There are exceptions. Inov-8 don't do support shoes, Altra only make zero drop.

The appropriate shoe depends on the individual, and their circumstances, not random namedropping.

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    The first time I went to a running store they failed to mention that you should go up a size from your regular shoe size and let me walkout with a pair that was too small. The result was me losing all of my toenails so not all advise is correct but do go to a good running specialty shop. You will be glad you did.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,490 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    The first time I went to a running store they failed to mention that you should go up a size from your regular shoe size and let me walkout with a pair that was too small. The result was me losing all of my toenails so not all advise is correct but do go to a good running specialty shop. You will be glad you did.

???

They may have let you go out with a size that was too small for you in that particular model but I don't agree with the blanket statement of going up a size for running shoes. I wear size 13 in everything, from my dress shoes to my hunting boots to my six different models of running shoes and have never lost any of my toenails, even when I ran a marathon.

Did you lose them all on the same run?