Waiting to lose some weight before hitting the gym?

Options
Is it bad that I am waiting to lose some of my weight before hitting the gym to start doing lots of exercise?

Currently I walk but at a very slow pace about 30 to 45 minutes a day.... sometimes uphill... depending on where I am at.
Most exercises I attempt to do hurts my knees or my ankles because I am so heavy still.

Please let me know your opinions

Replies

• Mveler
    Mveler Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I thought the same thing a month ago but I decided to walk , then got a bike for inside, then I moved onto a little exercise and now I am attempting to do 30 day shred. I would say don't be afraid of the gym. There are things there you can do. It is all about getting active. No excuses.

You can do this! I know you can!!!
  • shellythehippie
    shellythehippie Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am literally walking/running around my house to get in shape for when I get my treadmill next week. lol
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how much you weigh, but theres great low impact equipment at he gym, like the elliptical, that would probably be beneficial to you. But do what makes you comfortable.
    Some think the gym is a place for fit people to stay fit, not get fit, but I find it so motivating when I see someone overweight pushing to get where they want to be!
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Do whatever makes you comfortable. Better to wait to join a gym than have a bad experience with rude comments or stares which may turn you away from working out forever. Fit people can be very helpful but there are also those who think us fatties don't belong there. Good luck to you in your journey.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Does your gym or park district have a poo; where they might offer water aerobics classes--those are really easy on the knees.
  • alifer
    alifer Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I think it is a natural response to be self consious about others seeing you at the gym, but honestly they are most likely so focused on their own workouts that they barely notice others. If anything they would probably be encouraging to you. It's often helpful for motivation to have a membership. (I feel guilty paying for a membership if I don't get there at least 2 or 3 times a week)
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Definitely don't do things that hurt your knees too badly - but there is a lot you can do at the gym that would be great for you! You can do light weight strength training, use the elliptical (no one has to know what resistance you're using!), maybe find a low-impact aerobics class you like, etc.

I guess the question is whether you are truly concerned about your health and that's the reason you're staying home from the gym, or if you're embarrassed and maybe unsure what to do there. If it's the latter you can always get a session or two with a personal trainer to learn the ropes, or bring a friend along! And know that lots of people at the gym probably feel the same, or if they're judging, eff them.

All that said - there's nothing wrong with walking outside of the gym, either. As long as you're getting some exercise in, awesome! :)
  • debbiequack
    debbiequack Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    When I was heavier, I did what you did. I walked, walked and walked. I think it's a great start!

Best,

Debbie
  • mzjandiace
    mzjandiace Posts: 162
    Options
    You've got to get that pressure off your joints. Go to gym, remember this is about you! Get in the pool or ride the stationary bike.
    My knees used to hurt so bad~ but the bike has been my best friend and I love to swim, and my knees are no longer in pain. But don't ever lose weight to go to the gym, just go!
  • Spedden
    Spedden Posts: 207
    Options
    Walking is great exercise, and do whatever you're comfortable with. Pain will not help you. If you decide to join a gym later on, I've found Planet Fitness to be great--they really are a "judgment free" zone! :smile:
  • PSUgrl921
    PSUgrl921 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    lf you're walking for 30-45 minutes a day that's the start you need! If you continue it'll strengthen your legs so there's less pressure on your knees and muscles (I had to do this as well) since I have bad both. The elliptical at the gym was great for me but as jennw said... do what makes you comfortable! Just don't let yourself get into a holding pattern where you keep putting it off and putting it off... because I did that for awhile, too and now my knees and ankles are so much better already. I haven't seen the weight loss yet but I feel better and stronger.
  • Mveler
    Mveler Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I am literally walking/running around my house to get in shape for when I get my treadmill next week. lol

I did this too in the beginning. I spent a LOT of time on the phone cause I am a stay at home mom and so is my sister, so we would talk for hours a day. I decided to start walking the entire length of the house like a mad woman during each and every conversation. I really got to panting! It was awesome!
  • sesecat
    sesecat Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I too had TERRIBLE knees. I joined the gym primarily for the group classes. But I gave the eliptical a shot. I was only able to handle it a couple of minutes when I first started about a month ago. Today, I did it for an hour. A LOT less impact than walking, nice smooth movements.

I've done diets before without the exercise, and quit them before incorporating the exercise, its left me with a lot of flab. This time, by working out, I haven't lost an incredible amount of weight, but my thighs and butt have toned up so much I dropped two pants sizes. My *kitten* has never looked this good!

I vote gym membership. :-)
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Remember this is a lifestyle change...so baby steps are good. While you ease into new eating habits and new exercise habits, set some goals for yourself. I don't think waiting until you lose X amount of pounds before you join the gym is the best goal. Frankly you don't need to join a gym at all. But if you want to join, it is reasonable to get your exercise habit started first, then join.
  • nickiog
    nickiog Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    there is a bunch of ladies i see at my gym that all weigh more than 400 pounds and they are at the gym faithfully 5 days a week on the exercise pike and using free weights...i think at any size the gym will help you..just start out slow and build your way up.

you will absolutely notice the weight melt off faster the more active you become..and no matter what your size a little bit of weights is always good to do on top of any cardio/endurance workout.

you can also try taking glutamine /glucosamine / amino acid supplements to help with the joint/muscle pain from working out..it has done amazing things for me and my arthritis.
  • davidrt
    davidrt Posts: 162
    Options
    its ok to do that but, no one at the gym is going to look at you funny or say anything , most are glad to help you if you ask, i know i was intimidated when i first started too till i started talking to people, they were willing to help me when i first started now i help others too, , you dont have to join a gym to get fit or lose weight but haveing others aroud to help will make it more fun
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I know it is hard to put on a swim suit when you are heavy, but swimming can be an excellent cardio workout with no stress on your joints.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I think it's natural to feel a little intimidated to go to a place you've never been to before! In my case, I started going to the gym as a teenager because my dad took me there and showed me the ropes. If I had to go by myself, I'd probably have felt lost and clueless, trying to figure out how to use the equipments and all.

The only rude comment I ever got was at a college gym. Younger crowds, more likely to have immature people... At my local (non-college) gym, I see people of all shapes and sizes, and I don't see anyone getting ridiculed. Everyone is there to do their workout, not to put others down.

That said, walking is a great exercise. Just make sure to push yourself... Increase speed/ duration whenever you can. Work up a sweat!
  • thenewkarisa
    thenewkarisa Posts: 207
    Options
    I'm doing the same thing.... I can't run yet because my feet have problems, I'm getting some good shoes next month... my pals complain to me that I should be running LOL some don't know how hard it is to run and carry and extra 100+ pounds, it's pretty irritating
  • smilingsusan05
    Options
    I also do not go to a gym because of being selfconscience. I am looking for a small more intimate type gym to join. Maybe a female only.