Discover what's new & improved in the MyFitnessPal app!
We’re dedicated to helping you achieve your health and nutrition goals. And our newest features and updates? They do just that. Learn how we're making tracking your progress easier, faster, and more motivating than ever.

Is there any point in doing ab exercises with a big belly?

Options

Replies

• ChubRub93
    ChubRub93 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm by no means an expert on this stuff, but in my experience, ab exercises had the opposite effect vs what you're worried about. For me at least they've always toned my tum, even with a layer of chub on top!
  • kaybabii08
    kaybabii08 Posts: 31 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    ChubRub93 wrote: »
    I'm by no means an expert on this stuff, but in my experience, ab exercises had the opposite effect vs what you're worried about. For me at least they've always toned my tum, even with a layer of chub on top!

What do you mean by toned? Like made it smaller or less jiggly?
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    kaybabii08 wrote: »
    doing ab workouts while you're still fat will just make your stomach stick out further because you're making your ab muscles bigger behind fat.

i don't think i've ever seen that. abs don't bulk up and bulge like biceps or quads, no matter how strong they get. i do sometimes feel like i'm getting a little bit thick through the waist when you face me head on, but that's mostly on me for being so awful lazy about side-to-side stretching etc.

for other people i actually feel like with women, their midsection is almost always the first thing you notice when they post early progress pictures. doesn't always show right away in other areas, but i always notice their waists beginning to shrink and develop that curve.
  • jeanninemolly
    jeanninemolly Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Any muscle you gain helps to burn fat.
  • hydeaway62
    hydeaway62 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Having strong abs will prevent/reduce back problems.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

There is no such thing as an exercise to "tone the tum". You can lose fat from you stomach, or not. Losing fat is done by eating at a deficit. You cannot spot reduce with exercise.
  • ChubRub93
    ChubRub93 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

There is no such thing as an exercise to "tone the tum". You can lose fat from you stomach, or not. Losing fat is done by eating at a deficit. You cannot spot reduce with exercise.

I didn't say anything about spot reducing? Just that for me, doing ab exercises made my stomach feel more toned vs not doing them at all, or what op is worried about, making the stomach appear larger. I didn't mention losing weight at all either, I literally said that under a layer of fat I felt that my abs were toned.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Ab exercises strengthen your core which is good for a million health reasons, like helping prevent back injuries and making just about everything easier to do. They'll be there waiting to put In an appearance when you get to about 20% body fat.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    They'll be there waiting to put In an appearance when you get to about 20% body fat.

honestly, i don't think i'm at 20%, but the definition is there anyway. six-packs don't interest me much, but i definitely have that oblique-definition thing, even with my nice chubby layer of girl-fat still there on top. i like this look a whole lot, tell the truth.

i was just out with a friend who hasn't seen me since i first got into lifting, so i got a witness now. she was teasing a bit while i was bragging away about how much i can deadlift and bench, but she said 'so now you have abs?' and i pulled up my shirt to show her. she sucked air :D

i got abs, me.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    If you're overweight and doing isolation abs exercises I would say that time is better spent, as a beginner, on the big compound moves or even cardio to burn calories

But a strong core is the basis of everything
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    If you're overweight and doing isolation abs exercises I would say that time is better spent, as a beginner, on the big compound moves

Came here to say this. Heavy squats and deads will strengthen your core - and your legs and your butt and your back.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,620 Member
    Options
    Don't forget your lower back! Many people have such pore posture that their back appears hollow and their stomach sticks out simply due to not doing anything for those muscles. Think about it this way: there are muscles on two sides of each joint, at the front and back. If you train muscles at the front, like your belly, those muscles get stronger and contract more. The muscles at the back are weaker and get stretched out more. This might actually lead to a poorer posture in the case of the spine. If you also train the lower back, both sides stay in balance. Mind you, I gained about 3cm (1inch) in body size just by standing more erect due to a proper core training. The lordose back I always thought I had doesn't exist anymore.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Your core protects your back, which can effect your entire body. Don't skip core work.
  • kaybabii08
    Options
    If you're overweight and doing isolation abs exercises I would say that time is better spent, as a beginner, on the big compound moves or even cardio to burn calories

I'm not doing isolation ab exercises, if you would scroll up and read the comments I do lift weights and squat and do cardio as well I do core exercises and I do an exercises.
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    stick with the compound, multi-muscle group moves. you'll burn more calories in less time and eventually force your body to start using some of that belly fat as an energy source. while a strong core is important, at this point, losing fat is probably a higher priority. prioritize + patience + persistence = results
  • Playball549
    Playball549 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    This is how it was explained to me. Belly fat is like the water in a swimming pool. Every time you exercise or lift weights, it’s like dumping a load of sand into the swimming pool. Even though the sand (muscle) can’t be seen because it is hiding under the water (fat), it will eventually push out and take over the water. Every time you choose to skip the gym, drink a Pepsi or eat Doritos, you add water to the pool. Keep pushing foreword my friends and because there is a healthy, fit and awesome body working its way out of the water. PLAY BALL!!
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options

I'm not doing isolation ab exercises, if you would scroll up and read the comments I do lift weights and squat and do cardio as well I do core exercises and I do an exercises.

Just wanted to say, add some planks in there! It's a good, efficient ab exercise you can do in varying degrees of intensity, so you can keep making them harder as you get stronger.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

I read it

I said the time spent in core and ab exercises you've put in your programme would be better spent in your compound lift progression...squats, deadlifts, OHP...they all work the core very effectively at this stage in your training
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Scream05 wrote: »
    This is how it was explained to me. Belly fat is like the water in a swimming pool. Every time you exercise or lift weights, it’s like dumping a load of sand into the swimming pool. Even though the sand (muscle) can’t be seen because it is hiding under the water (fat), it will eventually push out and take over the water. Every time you choose to skip the gym, drink a Pepsi or eat Doritos, you add water to the pool. Keep pushing foreword my friends and because there is a healthy, fit and awesome body working its way out of the water. PLAY BALL!!

Yeah they kinda forgot about the "stop pouring too much water into the swimming pool" bit didn't they?
  • kaybabii08
    Options
    Scream05 wrote: »

Good thing I'm eating healthy and drinking,lots of water!