Do you hide your gym success?

Options

Replies

• thisonetimeatthegym
    thisonetimeatthegym Posts: 1,977 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I think it would be weird if you just walked up to someone like, "hey...I bench X" or whatever...pretty sure if they cared, they would ask. Most of my friends know that I go the gym and cycle...I don't think they much care about how much I'm doing on a particular lift or how much time I've cut off of my 20K time trial...the only people that care about that are my trainer and his wife.

How about your SO? Do they know?
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    The older I get, the more I realize how uninteresting I find most people's lives and recognize they likely feel the same way about mine. My SO is even more private than I am. The only people I really tell about my workouts these days are my trainer and my mother.
  • MJFSH
    MJFSH Posts: 7,252 Member
    Options
    The less normal Joe knows the better it is!
    Just like you, I don't want to hear "you look fine, you don't need to work so hard" or you eat too much or too little for what you do or any other silly suggestion they might have.
    but, I have a group of like minded friends, we do talk about our programs, accomplishments, goals and exchange pictures every once in a while to showcase our transformation. Sharing with that group is fun and educational, we learn from each other and support and push one another to aim higher and try harder. They know more about me, than my hubby, siblings and long time friends know.
  • jolive7
    jolive7 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I share with fellow fitness enthusiasts but I know when someone doesn't seem to care therefore I wouldn't talk about it.. I have had a few "friends" be fairly negative/jealous towards me. I tend not to share because I don't need their comments. My friends who are into fitness - I genuinely want to know their goals etc so I make an effort to ask them :)
  • jenmar222
    jenmar222 Posts: 9,279 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
  • JeffreyMGiron
    JeffreyMGiron Posts: 3,582 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    i do, my weightloss from well last year to this year was huge, i was never big so my family friends werent to amazed, but people who never saw me at my best and saw me at my worse would always ask how i did it, if i told them they thought it was BS...so really who cares? i do it for myself. I just like to share that idea that its possible to do it. When i see coworkers/friends who are out of shape, obese and so on, i show them my progress and they are shocked, i give them the its never too late talk and its possible...they try to change but their willpower is weak, i cant do anymore than that....just give hope.
  • atyrone
    atyrone Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Thats a bog workout!!!
  • winejunky143
    winejunky143 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I only share my small successes with my mother. My boyfriend doesn't care and I can tell he doesn't really like it. My dad thinks its stupid but he doesn't really like me in the first place. My sister is super fit and everyone is all about my sister so I will always be in her shadow no matter how great I'm doing. Might as well keep my excitement to myself.
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    Options
    I only share my small successes with my mother. My boyfriend doesn't care and I can tell he doesn't really like it. My dad thinks its stupid but he doesn't really like me in the first place. My sister is super fit and everyone is all about my sister so I will always be in her shadow no matter how great I'm doing. Might as well keep my excitement to myself.

Why do you think your boyfriend doesn't like it?
  • winejunky143
    winejunky143 Posts: 153 Member
    Options

When I used to try to tell him about my workouts or weight loss he would reply with generic answers and quickly change the subject. Or he tells me that I don't need to lose weight. I stopped telling him about it since it didn't seem to matter.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I think it would be weird if you just walked up to someone like, "hey...I bench X" or whatever...pretty sure if they cared, they would ask. Most of my friends know that I go the gym and cycle...I don't think they much care about how much I'm doing on a particular lift or how much time I've cut off of my 20K time trial...the only people that care about that are my trainer and his wife.

How about your SO? Do they know?

Sure...my wife and I are both fitness junkies and our respective trainers are both husband and wife and they are also our good friends and we hang out with them socially on the regular. My wife and I also ride together and participate in various events and races so it would be kind of hard to hide our fitness accomplishments from each other...but we also don't go on and on about them either...I mean we might mention some new time trial PR or something to each other, but that's about it.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    I mostly only talk gym with others in the gym, or that I know from the gym. Mainly because I get tired of people wanting advice or wanting me to write them a training plan, only for them to still be fat 6 months later having done nothing and want me to do it again. Like it's going to be something easier in 6 months or a year.

However, I don't hide it. I mostly wear form fitting t-shirts. Because I worked like hell to look good, so I'm not about to cover it up lol
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    My success happens outside the gym. Usually in the mountains, which have great scenery. I tend to share photos, but not always the stories behind them. Most people like pretty pictures, but most people don't care about the details.

Here are some examples.

21854266702_09732ddbb0_o_d.jpg

24810372656_241d59677d_o_d.jpg

24541417200_d3c8ed869c_o_d.jpg
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    Options
    My success happens outside the gym. Usually in the mountains, which have great scenery. I tend to share photos, but not always the stories behind them. Most people like pretty pictures, but most people don't care about the details.

Here are some examples.

21854266702_09732ddbb0_o_d.jpg

24810372656_241d59677d_o_d.jpg

24541417200_d3c8ed869c_o_d.jpg

Especially loving the last pic. Beautiful. Friending you just for the nature pics!
  • jolive7
    Options

When I used to try to tell him about my workouts or weight loss he would reply with generic answers and quickly change the subject. Or he tells me that I don't need to lose weight. I stopped telling him about it since it didn't seem to matter.

Wow that is not very supportive, I am guessing he doesn't work out? Maybe a bit of guilt if he doesn't? You should be able to share your success with your bf of all people, sorry but I think that is really wrong and I feel bad for you :neutral:
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    Options
    jolive7 wrote: »

Wow that is not very supportive, I am guessing he doesn't work out? Maybe a bit of guilt if he doesn't? You should be able to share your success with your bf of all people, sorry but I think that is really wrong and I feel bad for you :neutral:

Her situation is very common.

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/motivation_articles.asp?id=1187
  • GlowSands
    GlowSands Posts: 5 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I don't personally think there is anything wrong with talking about your accomplishments in the gym or elsewhere. I disagree that a person who repeatedly shares their fitness successes is covering up significant insecurities. I competed in many figure competitions and have ran many marathons in recent years and I've shared my progress along the way with friends/family on Facebook and I know 100% that I am not hiding any insecurities.

People share their lives with the people in them. If you choose not to share your gym experience, nothing wrong with that. It's your prerogative BUT! I would be cautious in judging those who do. I feel that if working out is important to you and is something you're invested then you should feel free to share it with the people you care about. If you're not sharing because you don't want to deal with the negtivity, jealousy, etc. from your friends, I would say it's time to reevaluate who you're hanging out with.

Of course there's nothing wrong with being private and keeping your activities to yourself but I don't think anyone should feel like they can't be free to share it if they want to because of the opinion of others. I would argue that those who don't share for the sole purpose of avoiding unwanted opinions and drama are more likely to be hiding their insecurities over those who share freely. But, that's just a generalized opinion and obviously doesn't pertain to everyone.

So, to answer the initial question, I have no issues sharing my progress. I am training for my first half marathon after my second child was born and I've shared my "map my fitness" routes, distance, and times for that last 3 long runs. I'm running 14 miles this weekend and will share that as well because it's important to me and my friends/family encourage me to do my best.

Many blessings.
  • jolive7
    Options
    jolive7 wrote: »

Her situation is very common.

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/motivation_articles.asp?id=1187

That is a shame, I guess it is strange for me because my partner is my coach and number 1 supporter, I am lucky in that sense
  • claer947
    claer947 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I do the same - my lips are sealed. I'm already built on a really small frame, so if I mention anything about eating healthy or going to the gym, the haters start to come out - "You need to go eat a sandwich." "Why aren't you having any cake?" "Do you have an eating disorder?" I probably eat twice what they do in a day, it's just healthier choices. Haters gonna hate, right? Do what makes you feel good, and do it for yourself!
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    Options
    @GlowSands

You said, " I would argue that those who don't share for the sole purpose of avoiding unwanted opinions and drama are more likely to be hiding their insecurities over those who share freely."

I'm gonna say no on that one. Gabby Douglas did an amazing job in front of the world and didn't get an entire day to enjoy it before she was in tears because of the hater's relentless criticism.

I happen to not care about critics - I see it as a sign of jealousy. The problem is when they are people you care about, you don't want to view them in that negative light. It's kind of like hiding your private stuff if you know a particular nosy friend is coming over.

If I know person A is going to say something ignorant if I say X, I simply don't say X. Keeps the peace.