Nothing working, close to despair

Options

Replies

• SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I am a repeat mfp person. Never been really heavy but since the onset of perimenopause and now menopause, there is 10-15 pounds I simply can't lose. I am petite - 5' 2.5 and very small frame.

I work with a very good personal trainer 2x week doing strength training ( been working with a trainer for 13 years). I also swim 2x week, 30-40 minutes. I run 5k on Saturdays with stairs (2 sets). And Sunday's I do yin yoga ( sometimes vinyasa on Weednesdays). So I am active for a sedentary person.

I never ever eat junk ( every once in a while I give in and have a biscotti). I eat at home mostly. Clean. Protein every meal, lots of fresh veg. I drink sparingly.

For a month I have been tracking on mfp ( I weigh and measure most foods so am sure I am not underestimating). I eat 1000-1100 calories a day , which is low but I am tiny and I wasn't losing on 1200.

I went to see my naturopath who will test my hormones. I know my DHea and cortisol are low they have been for years.

I sleep well, I love my job, in a commited long distance relationship. My stress is ok, see a shrink have been seeing him for 8 years.

HELP. I could get rid of 1 tsp maple syrup at breakfast, eliminate alcohol completely. I already eat almost no sugar, virtually no wheat.

Sedentary means you do a lot of sitting and little exercise. Even you are sitting a good bit you are not in active in that you get A LOT of exercise. I think this could be part of the problem. You are what I consider to be active (if not very active). Is this what you selected in your set up for your profile? The calories are determined by the info you enter. Height, weight, activity level. If you entered your activity level as sedentary MFP will calculate your needs based on a sedentary lifestyle. You are not eating enough even for a sedentary person I am sure of that. Perhaps try increasing your intake and see if that helps.

I don't think it's so much that she's undereating for her activity level, but I do think that you're onto something.

I've noticed that if you log yourself as sedentary and add every single little thing you do, MFP (and similar sites) will "award" you with far more calories than you'd get it you just entered the appropriate activity level. Likely because it overestimates calorie burn from exercise? (Though maybe also because your body gets more efficient at your regular routine.) So, if you eat all the calories that MFP gives you for "sedentary + exercise", you may very well eating over your burn if you should really just be "lightly active" or "active".

Edited to say that I just noticed that the OP reports only eating 1000-1100 cals/day. If that's total (rather than net), then I agree with the above poster that the issue is not weighing all foods and that the OP is actually eating more than she thinks.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    I am a repeat mfp person. Never been really heavy but since the onset of perimenopause and now menopause, there is 10-15 pounds I simply can't lose. I am petite - 5' 2.5 and very small frame.

I work with a very good personal trainer 2x week doing strength training ( been working with a trainer for 13 years). I also swim 2x week, 30-40 minutes. I run 5k on Saturdays with stairs (2 sets). And Sunday's I do yin yoga ( sometimes vinyasa on Weednesdays). So I am active for a sedentary person.

I never ever eat junk ( every once in a while I give in and have a biscotti). I eat at home mostly. Clean. Protein every meal, lots of fresh veg. I drink sparingly.

For a month I have been tracking on mfp ( I weigh and measure most foods so am sure I am not underestimating). I eat 1000-1100 calories a day , which is low but I am tiny and I wasn't losing on 1200.

I went to see my naturopath who will test my hormones. I know my DHea and cortisol are low they have been for years.

I sleep well, I love my job, in a commited long distance relationship. My stress is ok, see a shrink have been seeing him for 8 years.

HELP. I could get rid of 1 tsp maple syrup at breakfast, eliminate alcohol completely. I already eat almost no sugar, virtually no wheat.

Sedentary means you do a lot of sitting and little exercise. Even you are sitting a good bit you are not in active in that you get A LOT of exercise. I think this could be part of the problem. You are what I consider to be active (if not very active). Is this what you selected in your set up for your profile? The calories are determined by the info you enter. Height, weight, activity level. If you entered your activity level as sedentary MFP will calculate your needs based on a sedentary lifestyle. You are not eating enough even for a sedentary person I am sure of that. Perhaps try increasing your intake and see if that helps.

I don't think it's so much that she's undereating for her activity level, but I do think that you're onto something.

I've noticed that if you log yourself as sedentary and add every single little thing you do, MFP (and similar sites) will "award" you with far more calories than you'd get it you just entered the appropriate activity level. Likely because it overestimates calorie burn from exercise? (Though maybe also because your body gets more efficient at your regular routine.) So, if you eat all the calories that MFP gives you for "sedentary + exercise", you may very well eating over your burn if you should really just be "lightly active" or "active".

Edited to say that I just noticed that the OP reports only eating 1000-1100 cals/day. If that's total (rather than net), then I agree with the above poster that the issue is not weighing all foods and that the OP is actually eating more than she thinks.

Logging every activity is actually a big mistake because sedentary does include more activity than most people might realize. The way I would look at it is to try to determine if this activity would be normal activity and if so then don't record it. A bit of house cleaning seems to be one that comes up a lot and shouldn't be logged IMO because it wouldn't be enough activity to actually make you more active unless you really do a lot of heavy cleaning.

The multipliers are also rather inaccurate so it's pretty hard to really understand how much you are burning but if you aren't losing then you are either miss logging your intake or your output and need to adjust accordingly.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I don't know how to say this in the best way without possibly offending anyone, so I'm prefacing my post by stating that I'm not trying to. Honestly, at 5'2.5" and 131 you're not too far off from the healthy/overweight threshold so you shouldn't be having this much difficulty losing weight on so few calories unless it has to do with medical conditions. I'm not saying you should be losing weight, but what I am saying is that you could lose around five to ten more pounds before it's that true vanity weight struggle.

That being said, I agree with the posters telling you to check your logging/exercise calories. Weigh everything on a food scale. There's no need to cut out foods and refrain from eating "junk" either. I'm 5'3.5" and weigh 110; I would have never reached that weight without a food scale. I was still losing weight on 1800 to 1900 calories thanks to the use of a food scale/accuracy. If you actually verify you're only eating 1000 to 1100 calories via a food scale, I'd honestly just recomp and forget about weight loss.
  • Lindsay375
    Lindsay375 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I didn't notice an answer about how you are logging the exercise calories...so excuse me if you already did. If you have been with the same trainer for years and follow similar routines you will be burning less per session then when you started. So if you have never adjusted for your fitness level you may be over estimating burn.

I am 5'3" and am working from 140 down to a goal weight of 128. I want to get to 19% BF. For me 128 at 19%BF will be more the look I am going for then say 122 with BF of 22%.

My approach will change dramatically when I get down to 130-ish and want to focus of muscle and look rather then weight.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    See a regular doctor for a full thyroid panel.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »

An endocrinologist would be the doctor to see. Also just gonna speak from experience, make sure you get the ACTUAL scoop. Often people who fall into a grey area are told they are "normal". I was told my thyroid was "normal" when in fact it was not actually normal. I had sub clinical hyperthyroidism. Losing weight felt impossible. I know people say hyperthyroidism keeps you losing, but that is not always true. I would really push the endocrinologist to be very thorough.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I think you mean "ramping" but the only thing that I know of that actually does that are things like DNP and I highly recommend you don't even try to find it. DNP absolutely will increase your metabolism, which is really just the net of the chemical transformations in your body, and the proof of that is that it raises your temperature. Oh, and it's so effective at that, in fact, that an overdose will actually "cook" you alive from the inside. Not a pleasant way to die, which explains why it was banned for human consumption years ago.

I bet everyone in a "plateau" is googling DNP now. It works if you successfully walk the knife edge between losing tonnes of fat and dying.

Glargh! No! Too scary, do not want. As for me I'll just keep on truckin' and things will be cool in a couple-three months. I'm short and oldish, I expect things to be slow.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »

An endocrinologist would be the doctor to see. Also just gonna speak from experience, make sure you get the ACTUAL scoop. Often people who fall into a grey area are told they are "normal". I was told my thyroid was "normal" when in fact it was not actually normal. I had sub clinical hyperthyroidism. Losing weight felt impossible. I know people say hyperthyroidism keeps you losing, but that is not always true. I would really push the endocrinologist to be very thorough.

I agree my daughters regular dr said she had something wrong with her thyroid, she went to the endocrinologist who checked her levels every 3 months,including her hormone levels,A1c,etc, they found no thyroid or other issues.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    Mareli761 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried GAPS diet? http://www.gapsdiet.com/

It doesn't look like a specific weight loss diet and I don't see anything to back up it's claims of curing or treating mental illnesses through diet manipulation.

Yep, there's a special place in hell for anyone trying to sell the idea that you can cure autism or schizophrenia with an elimination diet and random supplements.

As part of a neuroatypical child, thank you. My son is on the spectrum. He's the light of my life and I will never give him supplements or anything that claims to "cure" autism. Like, that is a neurological thing and you can modify behaviors with operant conditioning, but in the end, autism is something you will have for life.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »

It doesn't look like a specific weight loss diet and I don't see anything to back up it's claims of curing or treating mental illnesses through diet manipulation.

Yep, there's a special place in hell for anyone trying to sell the idea that you can cure autism or schizophrenia with an elimination diet and random supplements.

I'm surprised her board and FDA aren't investigating these claims. An MD has a statement of ethics to uphold and the FDA can't do much for most claims but does actually have some teeth when claims of curing, preventing or treating an ailment are bandied about.

• red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    If your running half marathon your in good shape .. regardless of what you weigh .. just my thoughts
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    For vanity lbs, your deficit should not be set to more than .5lb/week. I may have missed it if you said but do you know your bf%?
    Read the recomp thread on the maintainance board. Don't cut more. You are under eating for your activity. Maybe reverse diet up to your maintenance calories. Keep working out but make sure progressive lifting is part of that plan along with adequate protein in your diet.
    I'm 5'2" & maintaining at 120. Down from 137 with a small deficit. I got down to 114 but it was too thin for me. I'm recomping now. Eat around 1800-1900 calories a day.
  • jolive7
    jolive7 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I repeat, I bet it's the OP not being accurate. First she said she uses a food scale for some things, then she says she uses a food scale and measuring cups. OP, just weigh and measuring EVERYTHING for a week or two and see how it goes.
    I repeat, I bet it's the OP not being accurate. First she said she uses a food scale for some things, then she says she uses a food scale and measuring cups. OP, just weigh and measuring EVERYTHING for a week or two and see how it goes.

I love how you had no reply to me when I brought science into it. Confirms you actually don't know what you are talking about. So let me ask you again, are you seeing results on your 1200 calorie diet???
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Da_Junk wrote: »
    You should definitely add a cheat day once a week and monitor that. My hunch is your body has adapted to your extreme diet and approach. Afraid to let weight go. Just my two cents for what its worth

No... this is not how it works. The body won't hold on to fat in a deficit.

Wow, sounds ridiculous!
  • jolive7
    Options
    jdro015sggpm.jpeg
    1200 > 2000 thank you bye.
  • jolive7
    Options
    jolive7 wrote: »

I love how you had no reply to me when I brought science into it. Confirms you actually don't know what you are talking about. So let me ask you again, are you seeing results on your 1200 calorie diet???

Um, actually I did want to reply to you. I chose not to because the thread is not about me and I don't want to de-rail it. Also, a previous poster pretty much summed up my thoughts about adaptive thermogenesis. I'm not the OP but yes, I am. Because calories in < calories out = success. You don't have to be so rude.

I legit have not been rude to you I think that's a bit sensitive ? If you're going to argue with people's posts be prepared to back it up, simple
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options

Um, actually I did want to reply to you. I chose not to because the thread is not about me and I don't want to de-rail it. Also, a previous poster pretty much summed up my thoughts about adaptive thermogenesis. I'm not the OP but yes, I am. Because calories in < calories out = success. You don't have to be so rude.

I legit have not been rude to you I think that's a bit sensitive ? If you're going to argue with people's posts be prepared to back it up, simple

No, your tone is indeed a little rude. You asking why I didn't respond to you and I told you why, and yet you continue to go on about previous posts that have little to do with the original OP's issue. This thread isn't about me, or you or whatever. OP asked for help, and she got some responses. So hopefully she will be a little more accurate with her weighing and sees results.
  • jolive7
    Options

No, your tone is indeed a little rude. You asking why I didn't respond to you and I told you why, and yet you continue to go on about previous posts that have little to do with the original OP's issue. This thread isn't about me, or you or whatever. OP asked for help, and she got some responses. So hopefully she will be a little more accurate with her weighing and sees results.

I'm sorry if you feel that way. You indeed cannot convey tone over the internet... Bye