How often do you wash you hair?

Options

Replies

• amywhitbread
    amywhitbread Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I used to wash mine everyday but for the last few months I have reduced it to twice or three times a week and it now does not get greasy in between anymore, whereas before it would get greasy after leaving it one day.
  • Vanilla_Lattes
    Vanilla_Lattes Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I try for every third day but sometimes can only go 2.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Every 2-3 days.

I also just use baby powder instead of dry shampoo (and I have dark hair). You just have to work it in with your hands and it won't leave your hair white.
  • GinaMarieG27
    GinaMarieG27 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Every 2-3 days.

I also just use baby powder instead of dry shampoo (and I have dark hair). You just have to work it in with your hands and it won't leave your hair white.

Yes!! Baby powder does work as well. I get itchy sometimes with the baby powder.
  • WynterDreaming
    WynterDreaming Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I generally aim for every other day, though if it's been an easy couple of days I may hold out an extra day. I always use a little conditioner on the ends of my hair even if I don't wash it that day however.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Not once for the last 6 months.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I am kind of shocked by this thread.
    My hair is very curly, short and I wash it every day. I have always washed it every day, and I will be 65 next week. Too late to worry about over washing.
    My hair is not dry at all. I have to have it cut every 5-6 weeks and I always get comments from the hairdressers, on how nice my hair is.

I can't even imagine how gross I would feel without washing my hair daily.
  • jmarie1025
    jmarie1025 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have fine, thin, oily hair. I wash 3-4 times a week and one of those times is conditioner only. I still feel greasy on other days. I'm seeing a lot of people say they use dry shampoo, so my question is, what's your favorite brand? Preferably something I can get in a store like Target.
  • Misspinklift
    Misspinklift Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Honestly once or twice a week. I have thick hair and it can be oily. I read somewhere it isn't good to wash it everyday if you have oily hair. It actually helped a lot washing it once a week. When I used to wash it everyday I would get annoyed how oily it would get.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    My hair is very curly, short and I wash it every day. I have always washed it every day, and I will be 65 next week. Too late to worry about over washing.
    My hair is not dry at all. I have to have it cut every 5-6 weeks and I always get comments from the hairdressers, on how nice my hair is.

I just want to point out that some people even though not washing (with shampoo) are Atleast rinsing everyday when they shower.
  • Cat3141
    Cat3141 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I use shampoo once a week or so. Otherwise I rinse my scalp really well, use conditioner, and go. I get pretty sweaty, but this seems to work well enough that my hair doesn't smell or anything. I have dry skin, so getting oily is never an issue, and I don't use any hair products (spray, gel, etc.) that I need to wash out.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    My hair feels freshly washed for a few days. Doesn't get dirty or oily. Would be pointless to wash it every day. If I lived in a hot climate I would wash it more. My head doesn't sweat much either. If it does, I wash or rinse and use conditioner.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I won't leave the house without washing my hair, so everyday for me with my hairdressers blessing. I have a very oily scalp and shampoo it twice (on my hairdressers advice) I do fork out for the professional shampoo though. I've tried dry shampoo in a bid to reduce the need for washing but it doesn't work in my hair and actually only made things worse. My hair is superfine and gets coloured and cut every 7 weeks or so and is in a very good condition. As far as I'm concerned it completely depends on your hair and skin type.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

I just want to point out that some people even though not washing (with shampoo) are Atleast rinsing everyday when they shower.

I have found that if I just rinse my hair, it looks even worse ... even more greasy, dull, and hard to work with.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

I have found that if I just rinse my hair, it looks even worse ... even more greasy, dull, and hard to work with.

Ditto. Mine looks ridiculous if I just rinse it.
  • ShaniceOrrMartin
    ShaniceOrrMartin Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I can actually contribute to this one haha
    I am a hairdresser, and just like anything, every persons hair is diffrent and requires diffrent care.
    People with fine hair may need to wash their hair daily as hair, just like arm hair under arm hair and pubic hair, is used to catch sweat, so if you have fine hair your hair will get greasier much faster than some one with thick course curly hair who can possibly go up to 10 days with out washing(however i would reccomend at least once a week)
    I have fine hair but i have ALOT of it so i can get away with 2-3 times a week and use dry shampoo when im due for my colour and it gets greasier. (Colour = dried out hair so can absorb more oils/sweat. Natural hair = more visible oils/sweat)
    Talcom powder can be used as a dry shampoo alternative also. (:
  • Sherie38
    Sherie38 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Coming from a hairdressers point of view... I say wash as often as you have to but use decent products. You can skip a day or two by using a dry shampoo between washing but when I was hitting the gym I washed mine very day too. :)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

mine looks totally clean.

Although, I boar bristle brush the crap out of my hair all the time so i rarely look greasy and dull.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

mine looks totally clean.

You know the 3 rules for mogwai ... so they don't turn into gremlins? Rule 2 is don't get them wet.

That's kind of how it is with my hair.

A light mist outside will curl my hair, so that's not too bad.

A rain or getting my hair wet in a shower or even wetting a spot to try to change the direction of a wave ... and it's like unleashing the gremlins. No telling what sort of result I'll get ... and I always regret it. Most often the whole thing goes flat and greasy and looks really hideous. Occasionally it will develop a really bizarre wave or curl that just looks completely ridiculous. And most of the time I end up tying it back because no amount of hairspray or gel or anything will get it to look right again.

Washing it with a bad shampoo will do the same thing as just getting it wet.

But washing it with a good shampoo leaves it soft and fluffy and easy to work with.

• kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I try to hit the gym 3 times a week, so I usually wash my hair every other day or so, depending on what else I have going on.