Alcohol Tips?

Options
Good morning everyone!

So I have a habit of drinking an excessive amount once a week or once every other week. Usually around 1000 calories worth but sometimes more. I'm wanting to make this a much less frequent occurrence in my life. Have any of you had this habit or still do? If so, could you give me some tips on how to improve upon this? I've definitely gotten better about the frequency but I'd like to get even better.

Replies

• dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Just work it within your daily calories. Or if you save up calories use drinks to fill those calories.

I am a binge drinker (usually takes close to 15-20 shots to get me drunk). I also have the ability to not drink for months on end. I don't crave it enough on a daily basis to work it within my calories but if I did I would.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I used to drink a lot and it did concern me how it may effect my health. I had a scan about a year ago now (for nothing serious) and they checked my liver and kidneys, which were fine. For me right then I decided to cut down on alcohol to make sure I could stay healthy, which I cut down to just once a fortnight and now I haven't had any since February. I don't go out drinking on a night out though so that helps a lot and with meals out I just opt for non alcoholic drinks. It can be hard with other people drinking around me, but then I remind myself one drink will turn into many for me and I'll lose control of what I'm eating and totally regret it and it won't be worth it for a few hours of being drunk/tipsy.
  • jadorade91
    jadorade91 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I've been told by a few people that it is "basically impossible" to lose weight if you drink alcohol, because it slows down your metabolism so drastically. Do you guys agree with that?
  • Mumu190672
    Mumu190672 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I drink about 6 (25ml)wisky with diet coke every Saturday. I try to fit my drinks within my weekly calories goal and so far I lose as I should according to mfp.
  • akmomof7
    akmomof7 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    No, you just need to work it into your day. I frequently(2-3 times a week ) finish off my day with a Capt. Morgan and diet coke. I'm still losing just fine and only about 10 pounds from goal.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    There are lots of successful people here who drink moderately.

However, there are plenty of non-weight-related reasons to stop drinking excessively. When I was a heavy drinker I experienced the majority of the negative consequences listed here: https://www.ncadd.org/get-help/take-the-test/am-i-alcoholic-self-test

As far as losing weight goes:
    - Having more than a drink or two makes me want to eat more and lowers my ability to stick to my plan
    - I don't sleep well so am not up for exercise the next day
    - Not sleeping well also makes me crave carbs and want to overeat in general
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    jadorade91 wrote: »
    I've been told by a few people that it is "basically impossible" to lose weight if you drink alcohol, because it slows down your metabolism so drastically. Do you guys agree with that?

What I have heard, which could be wrong, is that the body metabolizes the alcohol first and food calories get stored. I would like to know if this is true.
  • luv2shimmy
    luv2shimmy Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I don't think alcohol slows your metabolism down, unless maybe you're talking about someone who drinks so excessively that they don't eat. I think the actual problem is the empty calories that are being consumed. I drink 1-2 glasses of wine occasionally and it hasn't affected my weight loss. (My lack of willpower with crap food is affecting my weight loss, lol). As other people have said, there are many reasons that have nothing to do with weight that are good reasons to cut down on drinking. Good luck!
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is exceptionally calorie dense. It's harder to lose weight because it takes up all your calories. But I would rather lose .5 pounds a week and be drink and happy than to lose 1 or more pounds a week and end up murdering someone.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

No, don't agree with that at all.
  • Aaron_K123
    edited September 2016
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »

What I have heard, which could be wrong, is that the body metabolizes the alcohol first and food calories get stored. I would like to know if this is true.

Doesn't matter even if it were true. What "order" you digest your calories in would have no affect whatsoever on whether or not you are in a caloric deficit.

If I am 500 calories below my TDEE after having consumed 2000 calories and those calories were a mix of protein, fat, carbs and alcohol does it really matter if my body metabolized the alcohol before everything else? For anyone who believes the order matters could you explain why?

I burn 2500 calories, I injested 2000 of them 500 alcohol, 500 fat, 500 protein and 500 carbs. I digest the alcohol first then the protein then the carbs then the fat or maybe the protein then the carbs then the fat then the alcohol. The end result is the same so it doesn't matter. I'm burning more than I am taking in so what order I burn them in doesn't matter because they all get burned anyways.

The statement "your body prioritizes metabolizing alcohol first so if you drink alcohol it will prevent your weight loss" doesn't actually make any sense if you think about it. If you drink so much alcohol that you are no longer in caloric deficit sure, but that could be said about any of the macros.

The only thing special about alcohol as a macro is that it is the one macro your body doesn't require. You need some carbs, you need some fats, you need some protein...you don't need alcohol.
  • dreamsignals
    dreamsignals Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »

No, don't agree with that at all.

@Aaron_K123 beat me to it again.

Calories are calories, consumed and burnt. If you eat nothing but whey protein to the point of a caloric surplus, your body will store fat.

One thing alcohol can do is irritate the GI tract, which in turn can inhibit the adequate absorption of micronutrients, minerals, etc.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

One thing alcohol can do is irritate the GI tract, which in turn can inhibit the adequate absorption of micronutrients, minerals, etc.

Assuming that is the true that would have the opposite effect, that would mean all other things being equal if you consumed a certain number of calories and that included alcohol you would lose weight faster than if it had not included alcohol because the alcohol would have interefered with your ability to absorb calories and therefore you would have recieved fewer effective calories as a result.

Practically speaking though drinking a lot is a pretty good way to sabatoge trying to lose weight due to both lowered inhibitions and the fact that if there is such a thing as an "empty calorie" then alcohol is definately it.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

So I have a habit of drinking an excessive amount once a week or once every other week. Usually around 1000 calories worth but sometimes more. I'm wanting to make this a much less frequent occurrence in my life. Have any of you had this habit or still do? If so, could you give me some tips on how to improve upon this? I've definitely gotten better about the frequency but I'd like to get even better.

You say you have "gotten better about the frequency." What did you do different from your previous behavior in order to have less frequent binges? What have you noticed about how you feel? Those times where you have drunk to excess on fewer occasions, what were you doing instead? Getting curious about these things can lead you to some strategies that may work for you!
  • dreamsignals
    dreamsignals Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »

Assuming that is the true that would have the opposite effect, that would mean all other things being equal if you consumed a certain number of calories and that included alcohol...

Note that I wrote "micronutrients." For example, there is evidence that heavy drinking is linked to low uptake of vitamin B and D (though D could be also because of the more nocturnal habits). I'm not sure it has any impact on macronutrient metabolization.
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    Options

No but also don't take diet tips from me
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    You might find this useful - http://getdrunknotfat.com/

If I drank on a regular basis, I would work the calories into my goal.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options