Are abs a turn on?

Options

Replies

• PowerMan40
    PowerMan40 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    @rebel_26 I find that to be 1) unnecessary & 2) not even remotely true.

Abs are like back dimples- the chupacabra of "fit" bodies.

I'm on the thinner side-- and I have pretty decent core strength (yoga = lots of planking) - but I don't have even the faintest resemblance of an ab. While I'm not a dude- I've also been fat- and, my cup size hasn't changed- and I've gone from a size 11/12 (33/34) in the waist to a size 3/4 (26).

They are the holy grail of fit, I have dieted down to 230lbs, from 280lbs, and still had belly skin, and back fat on my lower back. I think I would have to be 3% fat or 210lbs before I could say I had abs... It took 8 months to get that weight, People who have abs naturally are just blessed
  • chandraminick
    chandraminick Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I never paid a lot of attention to abs until once I committed to an exercise program and lost 40 lbs. I went from a huge gut at 203 to starting to develop them. That's when abs became a turn on to me because I saw all the hard work they took. .That is the turn on.
  • Sharsou
    Sharsou Posts: 8,844 Member
    Options
    trinairby wrote: »
    Villae81 wrote: »
    You guys are crushing all the people who are maintaining their six pack :) errbody knows most guys wanting/has abs is hoping to pick up chicks with it

And if they're a great person already then it's just a bonus.

Not everyone with abs is a stereotype ;).. So what u say is valid in many cases!!

• Sharsou
    Options
    Sharing my experience, abs are the most difficult bit to maintain. Getting nice Arms, Chest, Legs and Shoulders are easy to build.. U can lift weights to attain bulky muscles but to maintain abs is a lot of hard work!
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Um. The very first thing I look for is height. I love tall men - 6'3" or taller. Abs are nice, but height is my aphrodisiac.
  • BigDougie1211
    BigDougie1211 Posts: 3,530 Member
    Options
    Abs do nothing for me specifically.
    I mean, I admire the dedication and focus it takes to maintain them, but they're a long way down the list of priorities.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Abs are certainly not a requirement, but I will admit to having made some questionable decisions due to ladies with abs.
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    Ive had abs and not had abs. Currently I have a 406 pack that can be seen depending on the day and what I have eaten. One has to define what they think are considered :abs". if just faint lines just being skinny can give you those and doesn't mean they are fit. Or are you saying raised defined popped up abs...ill assume the latter is whats being asked about. I also assumed the OP was referring to abs on guys but maybe I'm off base.

Do I personally care if my SO shows abs...not really, but have I seen some females with slightly defined abs and said to myself "that looks sexy". I have also seen girls with abs and they look like a guys abs...not so pretty IMO nor feminine. Just my opinion...we all have them.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    I don't workout to be a chic magnet and a set of good abs is not to impress anyone as far as I'm concerned but to make me feel good about my body!!

Well that, impresses me!

If he's a knuckle head then no matter how fit he may be no normal girl would like him.

Unfortunately though, most narcissists're in denial; that they're!

Umm, what do you classify as a "normal" girl? Isn't that kind of an oxymoron? Basically, don't guys and girls just exist at different levels of crazy?
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Sharsou wrote: »
    Sharing my experience, abs are the most difficult bit to maintain. Getting nice Arms, Chest, Legs and Shoulders are easy to build.. U can lift weights to attain bulky muscles but to maintain abs is a lot of hard work!

Not necessarily. Some guys have a hard time gaining size but can burn through fat like a blow torch. Getting abs is just a matter of cutting off enough fat to make them visible. Gaining big arms, shoulders and pecs takes many months and sometimes years of hard work and eating.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    It's funny all the judgement about what are or aren't abs. And whether that's easy or difficult. And whether it means they are fit or not. And whether it looks good or bad.

Abs can mean all different things. There are all different ways to be fit. With or without visible abs. It always takes work. Though different people have different body types.

I have always been fit. And I have been a dancer for 27 years. I didn't have big, built up abs because I don't do direct ab directed weight lifting. I do core work, dancing, and compound moves for weight lifting. But, since around age 12 or so I had a visible four pack of abs and would get comments on it. I had two babies in my mid 20's. Didn't gain weight beyond what was needed for the pregnancy. I'm not exactly like I was before (mainly just slightly noticeable to myself). I was slim and fit 7 months after my last baby. But, I still have visible ab muscles. Especially when in motion dancing. And it can vary. Yes, I am lean. Especially around my waist. That's my body type. Abs won't show unless a person is lean around the waist. I have had a medical injury. At the moment I am not as strong as I was a year ago. But, only slightly different. Mainly just noticeable to me. I'm just focused on my dancing and basic fitness and however that looks is how it looks for me. I'm in my late 30's now.
  • musclegood_fatbad
    musclegood_fatbad Posts: 9,809 Member
    Options
    I find them very attractive on a woman. Definitely don't have to be super defined but a flat stomach with some definition is great.
  • angrydads
    angrydads Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Love abs.... They are definitely the icing on someone's hard work. Men and women alike. They don't come easy for everyone, but when you get them..... You know you earned them.
  • Sharsou
    Options
    angrydads wrote: »
    Love abs.... They are definitely the icing on someone's hard work. Men and women alike. They don't come easy for everyone, but when you get them..... You know you earned them.

Totally agree with u mate!
  • malioumba
    malioumba Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I personally dislike abs on men, almost to a point where I hate seeing it, but that's just me.
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Are abs a turn on? Kinda, but it's real low on the list of turn ons. If you need to flash your abs (like The Situation) to get attention, it's sad - personality is king. What I find attractive about them is the dedication and hard work that goes into achieving and maintaining them, but I'd rather witness the strength. Some do just look downright lickable and I feel conflicted.
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I can definitely appreciate the work that goes into them but personality is way more important for me.
  • Sharsou
    Options
    Owlie45 wrote: »
    I can definitely appreciate the work that goes into them but personality is way more important for me.

Totally agreed.. Personality is the bigger picture and abs will be a just a tiny part of it. However as the thread goes, is it a turn on or not is a different question. Let’s say you know two ppl and both have a good personality, do you think abs will be a turn in factor for you or not?
  • Alinouveau2
    Alinouveau2 Posts: 6,251 Member
    Options
    Not really. I'd rather see a nice set of arms than abs
  • Mellouk89
    Mellouk89 Posts: 469 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    I've asked google that question :D , it seems that generally women prefer arms, back muscles or chest. Or something else entirely.