Happiness Please help explain it..

Options

Replies

• synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    Making someone else smile because of a kind gesture
    Or even because you acknowledge them
    Many claim I'm too happy. I think that comes from security. Security that I have always had a happy, loving family, I've never had to want for anything.
    I dunno making others happy seems to help.
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    PowerMan40 wrote: »
    King Solomon went on a quest for happiness.

He tried lots of women, drinking, being entertained, building buildings and gardens, attaining knowledge, etc. He said all of it was in vain - chasing after wind.

He did finally find the answer: obey God, enjoy the work you have been given to you and enjoy the wife you have, and the food and drink you have.

Note, there is no "getting", "chasing," pursuing." Just enjoying and obeying God.

Obey God and you start with a clean conscience, the basis of happiness. You can't be happy feeling guilty. Then, it doesn’t say find a job you love. It says love the work you have. It doesn’t say find a better partner - it says enjoy the one you have.

I listened to this wisdom and I found a way to enjoy doing dishes at home - I say thanks, because dirty dishes means we ate and that is a blessing. I enjoy how fast I can load the dishwasher and see a clean sink. I have found a way to enjoy the relentless "dailyness" of life. What once made me close to tears now brings a smile to my face because I have learned to be thankful.

Wishing you peace.

Reading homework: The Book of Ecclessiastes (The Bible)

Thank you for your words. I appreciate the time you took to write this. I am a pastors son, I have read the entire book cover to cover, a few times over growing up, however words on a page, dont mean much, when *kitten* hits the fan.

I'm a pastors daughter! Nice to meet a fellow PK :)

I've wandered away a time or two, but have consistently found that when I am earnestly seeking God, he doesn't hide from me. There's a verse in Jeremiah that says something like, "you will find me when you seek me with all of your heart. I will be found by you." I've been through a bunch of crap, man - so much. But have learned that truly the SOURCE of my happiness, my joy - it all comes from being a Follower of Jesus.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,231 Member
    Options
    Having realistic expectations and knowing that happiness is temporary. Nobody should be happy or sad all the time. Life can be hard but it can get better, just give it time.
  • sw33tp3a_1
    sw33tp3a_1 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    The only time when I know I'm truly happy, is when my kids are happy. My kids are my world and seeing them happy even if I sacrifice my own happiness, it's worth it. That's the only happiness I know.
  • TestNamePleaseIgnore
    Options
    Happiness is eating as many dinosaur chicken nuggets as I want without gaining a pound.
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    Wine flavored ice cream makes me sofa king happy.

a1qfyuvyzoke.png
  • Habiteer
    Habiteer Posts: 190 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Seems to me that picking fights and being creepy with women on the Internet makes you happy.

That being said I don't think there's much hope for you.

Jeez, very harsh. Not sure what incredibly awful things he's said to deserve that, but it seems a lot of people are dogpiling some hate on him.

Just imagine if someone said "I don't think there's much hope for you" to you... or a family member of yours, or a friend, or an acquaintance... Too harsh...
  • melmelw03
    melmelw03 Posts: 5,338 Member
    Options

Karma. Karma makes me happy.
    :trollface:
  • JessicaJS23
    JessicaJS23 Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Drawoc wrote: »
    Seems to me that picking fights and being creepy with women on the Internet makes you happy.

That being said I don't think there's much hope for you.

Jeez, very harsh. Not sure what incredibly awful things he's said to deserve that, but it seems a lot of people are dogpiling some hate on him.

Just imagine if someone said "I don't think there's much hope for you" to you... or a family member of yours, or a friend, or an acquaintance... Too harsh...

You don't have to look hard to see for yourself : )

• melmelw03
    melmelw03 Posts: 5,338 Member
    Options
    lstrat115 wrote: »
    Sometimes I wonder if I deserve to be happy. Then there are people around here that name themselves things like icheatonmywife and I wonder if maybe they are slightly less deserving?

I don't actually think they were the ones who named themselves that. :confused:
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    lstrat115 wrote: »
    Sometimes I wonder if I deserve to be happy. Then there are people around here that name themselves things like icheatonmywife and I wonder if maybe they are slightly less deserving?

Oh, you deserve to be happy; there's no doubt about it.

Why wouldn't you deserve to be happy?
  • MJFSH
    MJFSH Posts: 7,252 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you what it is but i know i felt that joy and true happiness a few times and every time i felt it, it had something to do with my kids. Their success, their happiness, their excitement is bringing me that joy. Time spent with them, talking, acting silly and laughing over nothing. They are my life and i assume it's natural to feel the greatest joy in their presence.
    Also, it might sound silly but completing challenging tasks, or reaching goals i set up for myself give me some highs and happiness too.