Alcohol Tips?

Options
13»

Replies

• jadorade91
    jadorade91 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    This conversation is going back and forth between drinking less for fewer calories and drinking less as a lifestyle choice. Obviously both are super valid, but perhaps figuring out where your immediate priorities lie may help you figure out next steps.

Can't it be drinking less for both reasons?
  • adgarry2014
    adgarry2014 Posts: 7 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    akmomof7 wrote: »
    No, you just need to work it into your day. I frequently(2-3 times a week ) finish off my day with a Capt. Morgan and diet coke. I'm still losing just fine and only about 10 pounds from goal.

I love Captain Morgan and Diet Coke. Trying to get off the last 8lbs so I have stayed away from my 2-3 x a week CM&DC. Not sure if it has made a difference or not since, well, I have been having at least one alcoholic beverage on Saturday lunch or during a football game. I count it as my treat for the week since thankfully enough, I don't care much for sweets. I do at least try to make it a lower in calorie alcohol drink.
  • luv2shimmy
    luv2shimmy Posts: 67 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Note that I wrote "micronutrients." For example, there is evidence that heavy drinking is linked to low uptake of vitamin B and D (though D could be also because of the more nocturnal habits). I'm not sure it has any impact on macronutrient metabolization.

This is correlation, not causation. Generally speaking, people who drink heavily are not eating appropriately (at least, from what I've seen in the patients I've cared for), which would also explain their lack of vitamins B and D (as well as many other micronutrients).
  • dreamsignals
    dreamsignals Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    jadorade91 wrote: »
    This conversation is going back and forth between drinking less for fewer calories and drinking less as a lifestyle choice. Obviously both are super valid, but perhaps figuring out where your immediate priorities lie may help you figure out next steps.

That is indeed what I think - both are super valid - but the immediate course of action could vary depending on priorities.

Are you more interested in making more room in your calorie count to maintain your drinking? Does that mean you'll try to exercise more or eat less? Or maybe you prefer reducing the drinking to eat more and exercise less? Or, as perhaps more of a lifestyle change, you can exercise more, eat more and drink less?

This is what I mean by immediate priorities and course of action - the balancing act that will help you achieve whatever you're looking to achieve.
  • dreamsignals
    dreamsignals Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    t_tullius wrote: »

Note that I wrote "micronutrients." For example, there is evidence that heavy drinking is linked to low uptake of vitamin B and D (though D could be also because of the more nocturnal habits). I'm not sure it has any impact on macronutrient metabolization.

This is correlation, not causation. Generally speaking, people who drink heavily are not eating appropriately (at least, from what I've seen in the patients I've cared for), which would also explain their lack of vitamins B and D (as well as many other micronutrients).

Yep, correlation.
  • jadorade91
    jadorade91 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    jadorade91 wrote: »

That is indeed what I think - both are super valid - but the immediate course of action could vary depending on priorities.

Are you more interested in making more room in your calorie count to maintain your drinking? Does that mean you'll try to exercise more or eat less? Or maybe you prefer reducing the drinking to eat more and exercise less? Or, as perhaps more of a lifestyle change, you can exercise more, eat more and drink less?

This is what I mean by immediate priorities and course of action - the balancing act that will help you achieve whatever you're looking to achieve.

I see what you're asking now! In that case, my priority is the lifestyle change. The side effect of weight loss is just an added benefit that I'm also working towards. This week I have been exercising more, eating more (within my limit) and drinking less. But if I am having the type of day where I feel like "Yup, I'm gonna wanna drink later," then I plan on either working out a bit longer/more intensely, or skipping a snack or two. But I do not want to starve myself of food & nutrients just for the sake of drinking.