Running shoe recommendation?

Options
2»

Replies

• jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    The first time I went to a running store they failed to mention that you should go up a size from your regular shoe size and let me walkout with a pair that was too small. The result was me losing all of my toenails so not all advise is correct but do go to a good running specialty shop. You will be glad you did.
    ouch.my running and walking shoes are actually 2 sizes bigger than my regular shoes. i knew this though from the 1st time i ever wore sports shoes. they usually vary from 1.5-2.5 sizes bigger.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    rsclause wrote: »
    The first time I went to a running store they failed to mention that you should go up a size from your regular shoe size and let me walkout with a pair that was too small. The result was me losing all of my toenails so not all advise is correct but do go to a good running specialty shop. You will be glad you did.

???

They may have let you go out with a size that was too small for you in that particular model but I don't agree with the blanket statement of going up a size for running shoes. I wear size 13 in everything, from my dress shoes to my hunting boots to my six different models of running shoes and have never lost any of my toenails, even when I ran a marathon.

Did you lose them all on the same run?

agreed, i have 3 pairs, one is half a size up, one is a size up and one is 1 and a half sizes up... not lost a toenail yet!
  • WynterDreaming
    WynterDreaming Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I know it's been stated earlier, but I want to emphasize on it. Before you go buy shoes, please go get your feet measured and checked at a specialty running store if you haven't already. I put it off for forever just because I was so sure I knew my size, despite how uncomfortable my shoes have been. I just got mine fitted last night and my feet are a size larger than what I thought. Because of the support I need in my shoes, I am limited in my brands but what kind of support you need is dependent on you. So figure out what is best from you, and then sort through the brands that make the shoes which meet your needs.
  • claer947
    claer947 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I love Brooks! Obviously everyone's feet are different, but for me personally, I've never had a more comfortable running shoe.
  • Monroe121
    Monroe121 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all of the advice. I am definitely going to go to a running store for a proper fitting, etc. Stay fit my friends!! :wink:
  • Monroe121
    Options
    wolfgate wrote: »
    Do you want a recommendation for you? Go to a specialty running store where they can evaluate your foot and gait and help you find the right shoe.

Do you want to know what shoe was best for others, knowing that means nothing when it comes to what a good shoe will be for you? For me, that is Brooks Adrenaline for training. For 5k/10k racing I used a Brooks Racer ST.

Both of those fit me well. I have slight over-pronation and the Adrenaline compensates for that well while still having good feel. The ST is almost neutral but for faster running at those 5k/10k shorter distances it is adequate, light and has great contact feel with the road.

Thank you so much. Stay Fit my friend!
  • Monroe121
    Options
    I prefer my Asics Gel Cumulus 16's. I'm neutral but I'm heavy so I need a thick sole. They make me feel like I'm running on little marshmallows.

If you're looking for you...get fitted. I did my first half marathon years ago in a pair of cheap a** basic Asics that I bought from Kohl's. I couldn't walk for a week afterwards...If only I knew then what I know now. :D

• Monroe121
    Options
    CincyNeid wrote: »
    My personal preference is Brooks. I have a pair of Launch 3 that I really really enjoy. I've tried Muzino, I've tried Ascis, I've tried Adidas and I keep going back to my Brooks....

However Running shoes ARE NOT a one size fits all. You need to go to your local running store and have them examine how you walk, how you run and get you a shoe that fits your feet.

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Monroe121 wrote: »
    I appreciate all of the advice. I am definitely going to go to a running store for a proper fitting, etc. Stay fit my friends!! :wink:

Don't be afraid to spend some time there trying on many shoes and asking many questions. If the store you visit is a good one, the sales folks won't mind at all. Good luck.
  • Mike_take2
    Mike_take2 Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    I love the Saucony Kinvara 7! I recently bought the new Asics DynaFlyte and I would say it's a close second. Both light weight, plenty of cushion without feeling like you're running on pillows.The Saucony has the upper hand because it seems to be a little more flexible.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Another recommendation to get fitted and have your gait analyzed!

I'm another who wears the Asics Gel Cumulus 16's and loves them, but that doesn't mean they'll work for you.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy running in Altra shoes. They are zero drop and also have a wide (natural toe shape) toe box, which allows your feet to splay naturally and have the room they need, without feeling like your toes are pressed together etc. like many shoe brands do.