Breakfast foods high in protein

Replies

• vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    For something different, I like half can baked beans, 2eggs, mushrooms and either turkey breast or turkey bacon. If you have a sweet tooth try greek yoghurt pancakes: 1 large Egg, 0.50 cup flour, 1 tsp baking soda, 6 ounce, Greek Yoghurt -Plain. This gives you 180calories, 5g fat(from egg, omit the yolk for no fat), 11carbs, 7sugar and 24g Protein. Add in fruits or whatever you desire! Perfect for Sunday morning.r0udvzjdmwmr.jpg

My calculations on your breakfast (without the banana which would be another 80-100 calories) would be closer to these numbers-this is with the yolk though. Without the yolk the calorie total would be around 370:

Breakfast
    Calories kcal: 425 Carbs: 55g Fat: 9g Protein: 29g Sodium: 175g Sugar: 5g

Generic - Egg, Large Whole, 1 Egg
    70 0 5 6 70 0
    Cabot - Low Fat Plain Greek Yogurt, 6 fluid ounce
    135 9 4 17 105 5
    Pillsbury - Unbleached White Flour, 0.5 cup (31 g)
    220 46 0 6 0 0

• JenniferSusan
    JenniferSusan Posts: 2 Member
    My bad, my recipe importer did not correctly load flour, not sure what it chose. Thanks for picking up. However this still looks amazing for Sunday Breakfast. Better than pancakes at a diner. Might opt out of flour next time and swap to quickoats. Changing to fruits such as blackberries and strawberries too. :smile:

1 large Egg
    calories 72; Total Fat 5; Total Carbs 0; Protein 6

0.5 cup Robin Hood - All Purpose White Flour (Ls)
    Robin Hood
    calories 220 Total Fat 1; Total Carbs 44; Protein 8

1 tsp baking soda
    calories 0; Total Fat 0; Total Carbs 0; Protein 0

6 ounce Oikos Greek Yoghurt -Plain
    calories 91; Total Fat 0; Total Carbs 7; Protein 17

TOTALS:
    Calories: 382 Carbs: 51 Fat: 6 Protein: 31 Sugar: 7
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Greek yogurt with granola and berries or my favorite - proats! Protein powder + oats + fruit or flavoring of your choice
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Grilled trout on a bed of a quinoa pilaf
  • johnnylloyd0618
    johnnylloyd0618 Posts: 303 Member
    I like a yogurt and fruit smoothie with a scoop of vanilla protein powder and oatmeal.
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    I am over eggs too. I usually have an egg with reduced fat cheese on a slice of double fiber wheat toast that was smeared with a quarter avocado and topped with pico de gallo. I also drink 1 of the 12 ounces Power Yogurt mocha double espresso drinks with it. Those babies have 21g of protein and are awesome! Wheb I don't have eggs, I usually do PB toast with a little honey and cinnamon...and my drink. It keeps me full until me snack 3 hours later.

Maybe a protein smoothie?

I also have some vegetarian Sweet Earth breakfast burritos in the freezer I am about to try. They have a lot of protein, too. Maybe something like that would work?
  • RachelX04
    RachelX04 Posts: 1,123 Member
    I take a scoop of whey protein (any flavor) mix with water keep it nice a thick, but stir all the protein in so its a pudding like consistency. add 1/3 cup oats and 1/3 cup berries (either fresh or frozen), if needed you could sprinkle some cinnamon or other spices. I eat it cold. lots of protein and easy to take on the go
  • Habiteer
    Habiteer Posts: 190 Member
    Sausage, turkey sausage, Canadian bacon, Greek yogurt, chicken breast, sirloin steak, fish . . .

My same thoughts :D . Anything you eat at dinner, I can make for my own breakfast in under 10 minutes. I'd add protein powder shakes because that's usually what I start my day off with.
  • shellyld2016
    shellyld2016 Posts: 288 Member
    I seriously need to try a few of these ideas! I love my protein smoothies with sf almond milk and frozen fruit. I usually buy vanilla just so I can change the flavor any way I want, but chocolate with frozen banana and pb2 is good too!
  • xx_steph_xx
    xx_steph_xx Posts: 37 Member
    MiMi_5151 wrote: »
    avocado - either on toast, by itself, of baked with an egg in the hole left by the pit.

baked-eggs-thumb-200.jpg

That's high fat, not high protein. I'm definitely going to try it though. Maybe some bacon on top?

that has atleast 24g of protein with the 2 eggs and the avocado it good fat, that's an ace breakfast, that's on my agenda for tomorrow
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    MiMi_5151 wrote: »
    avocado - either on toast, by itself, of baked with an egg in the hole left by the pit.

baked-eggs-thumb-200.jpg

That's high fat, not high protein. I'm definitely going to try it though. Maybe some bacon on top?

that has atleast 24g of protein with the 2 eggs and the avocado it good fat, that's an ace breakfast, that's on my agenda for tomorrow

Using USDA information, two large eggs contain 10 grams of fat and 12.6 grams of protein. Using the standard assumption that 1 gram of fat contains 9 calories and 1 gram of protein contains 4 calories, that means 90 calories come from fat and 50.4 calories from protein. In addition, 200 grams of avocado contain 29.3 grams of fat and 4 grams of protein. Again, by standard calculations that's 263.7 calories from fat and 16 calories from protein. It looks like a delicious breakfast, but it contains far more fat than protein. If you really want to go "high protein" while cutting calories then it's helpful to look at foods that contain more protein than carbs or fat to help balance out your macros. That's not to say you couldn't fit this breakfast into a "high" protein diet, but some chicken breast on the side would sure help.
  • jsmw361
    jsmw361 Posts: 2 Member
    What is the nutrition count for this?
    Otmeal, protein/meal replacement & smoothies!!! Fav smoothie is a Green smoothie! Keeps you full and makes your skin wonderful and noticed the most fat I shed in me belly was when I did 30 days of the green juice every morning with something light as a pair! Such as fruit & yogurt!
    Green Smoothie
    1 bottle water preferably cold
    1 banana
    1-2 cups of spinach (your liking)
    1/2 cup of frozen diced mangoes
    1/2 cup of frozen pineapple chunks
    1/2 cup of frozen peaches
    Blend it in a bullet or blender on high power!!
    ENJOY & GOOD LUCK!!!

• Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Buy a sirloin steak and portion it into 3 or 4 oz pieces to freeze. Very high protein. Thaw in the microwave and cook each morning.
  • RoseBlossom213
    RoseBlossom213 Posts: 1 Member
    I've recently read that Cassein Protein is way better than Whey protein and to stay away from any protein supplement that is derived from soy! Especially for women, soy proteins will actually negate the effects of milk based proteins.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I've recently read that Cassein Protein is way better than Whey protein and to stay away from any protein supplement that is derived from soy! Especially for women, soy proteins will actually negate the effects of milk based proteins.
    Cite, please.
    Casein protein is slow release, whey is is taken up faster than sugar.

How can one protein negate the effect of the other.

For years I wondered how buttermilk and whey can both be high in protein after separation. It wasn't until I met the sharp participants here on MFP that I found out that milk is made of two proteins; one fast acting and one slow release.

It got me to thinking that mamma cow is pretty smart (or cleverly evolutionized) to ideally provide two proteins to feed her fast-growing calf.

And aren't we clever to figure out how to separate them?
  • tammyfreathy
    tammyfreathy Posts: 1 Member
    I'm a big fan of protein shakes. Pure Protein has 1g sugar and 30g protein. Not as good as real food, but helps me get out the door and fuel up
  • ktra2014
    ktra2014 Posts: 21 Member
    Healthy Pancakes
    2 eggs
    1 banana
    Cinnamon for taste
    You can also add protein powder
    mix together and cook in the shape of pancakes.

Peanut butter or P2 you can add protein powder to it and add it to anything fruit, yogurt, smoothies, toast (wheat thins) anything.

Eggs as you mention in different ways egg cups, omelets, scrambled with veggies and hard boiled eggs.

Mixed fruit parfait, use Greek yogurt add protein powder to it and layer with the fruit.

• amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    I like Siggi's skyr... (fancy icelandic yogurt) I add a little fruit. it has 10 grams of protein.