What do I do if my BMR is low?

Options
So I don't want to lose many pounds only about 3. I calculated my BMR and it is 1,159 which I think is very low! I am an athlete as well so does this mean it's too low? What can I do to speed up my BMR? Does this mean I can only eat fewer calories than my BMR if I want to lose weight?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Your BMR isn't that relevant to your weight loss. It's what you would burn if you were in bed all day. What you want to focus on is your TDEE, your total daily energy expenditure -- your BMR plus what you burn through all your activity.

To lose weight, you have to eat less than your TDEE.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    So I don't want to lose many pounds only about 3. I calculated my BMR and it is 1,159 which I think is very low! I am an athlete as well so does this mean it's too low? What can I do to speed up my BMR? Does this mean I can only eat fewer calories than my BMR if I want to lose weight?

Calculate your TDEE. That is your BMR+your activity level (general activity level and exercise).

Eat less than your TDEE to lose weight.

You need to eat at the very least your BMR.

Because you have so little weight to lose, do not pick a large deficit to 'lose faster'. It can cause health problems down the road.

You are an athlete - you may be burning lots for activity so good news - you can eat more than 1159 calories.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Your BMR isn't that relevant to your weight loss. It's what you would burn if you were in bed all day. What you want to focus on is your TDEE, your total daily energy expenditure -- your BMR plus what you burn through all your activity.

To lose weight, you have to eat less than your TDEE.

This
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    According to your other threads, you are already underweight and are too young to be on this site. You really need to listen to your doctor.

Is OP from the 'want to lose 3lbs' thread?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    3lbs is weight range

I can lose, and gain 3lb overnight
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    According to your other threads, you are already underweight and are too young to be on this site. You really need to listen to your doctor.

Is OP from the 'want to lose 3lbs' thread?

Yes.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,209 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    You need to discuss this with your doctor. In your other thread (that has now been deleted) you stated that you were only 16 years old. You have to be 18 for this site. Advice and information given here is for someone who is not still growing.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You need to discuss this with your doctor. In your other thread (that has now been deleted) you stated that you were only 16 years old. You have to be 18 for this site. Advice and information given here is for someone who is not still growing.

And not only that, but you also stated you were 5'1 and 94 pounds, which classifies you as underweight. Weight loss should not be on your mind at all.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

And not only that, but you also stated you were 5'1 and 94 pounds, which classifies you as underweight. Weight loss should not be on your mind at all.

And the OP's doctor told her the "fat" she's trying to lose is most likely skin. She's having a hard time losing fat because she doesn't have any fat left to lose.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif
  • ItsyBitsy246
    ItsyBitsy246 Posts: 307 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

OP signed up as a 26 year old, so I'm guessing she knows (ignored) age restriction. Do mods take action on these?
  • Wynterbourne
    Options

OP signed up as a 26 year old, so I'm guessing she knows (ignored) age restriction.

I realize that, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't reiterate the facts.
  • ItsyBitsy246
    ItsyBitsy246 Posts: 307 Member
    Options

OP signed up as a 26 year old, so I'm guessing she knows (ignored) age restriction.

I realize that, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't reiterate the facts.

Yeah, I was more wondering if moderators would step in. May have, the profile isn't found anymore.
  • malioumba
    malioumba Posts: 132 Member
    Options

And the OP's doctor told her the "fat" she's trying to lose is most likely skin. She's having a hard time losing fat because she doesn't have any fat left to lose.

How do ya'all have such great memories recalling which user posted what thread!? :dizzy:
  • Wynterbourne
    Options
    malioumba wrote: »

How do ya'all have such great memories recalling which user posted what thread!? :dizzy:

She had just posted the other thread a couple hours before so it was fresh in my memory. And I had it favorited so I was able to double check. Plus when someone states they are 16, that's a big no-no on this site, so the name tends to stick in my brain.