Think ive done something silly!!!

Options
After my first weigh in today ive only lost half a pound and i was so disappointed so i went out and bought myself 2big bottles of wkd and ive downed them!! Is this a silly thing to do? I feel so bloody angry! I worked so hard this week aswell and now it feels like ive let myself down

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    What exactly is wkd? Is this a British thing?
  • sarahlovesfood25
    sarahlovesfood25 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Alcohol lol
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Oh, well. Carry on, then.

I don't drink alcohol any more, I can't lose weight when I drink it - in addition to the drink calories, I made pretty poor food choices when I drank.
  • sarahlovesfood25
    Options
    I occassionaly have vodka with low calorie drink but today i just bough wkd the irn bru flavor and feel so bad,, but i have done an hours work out today!
  • tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    That's probably not a healthy way to handle let downs generally or regarding weight loss. But, tomorrow is a new day. Tomorrow and the rest of today you can make different and better choices. Every second you can choose something new or different.
  • sarahlovesfood25
    Options
    I no a loss is better then a gain but my first week and ive kept with in my calories and exercised at least 30mins a day but like u say tomorows another day
  • cmriverside
    Options
    So, what IS wkd? Is it wine, or beer, or hard spirits? Inquiring minds want to know.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    It's an alcopop, basically tastes like a soft drink but with added alcohol. Marketed to those that want to get drunk but don't like the taste of actual alcoholic drinks. Much too sweet and fizzy for my tastes, but I've always preferred proper drinks that actually taste like they're going to get you drunk like scotch on the rocks (or if expensive neat at room temp)

eta :
    op: if two big bottles of WKD is your answer to "only" losing half a pound then I think you may need to look at how you (ab)use alcohol. It's a slippery slope to becoming overly dependent.
    Oh and half a pound is still a win, look on this losing weight business as a marathon rather than a sprint and look on every loss no matter how small as a triumph.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    OH! thanks firef1y72. Yeah, that's probably another reason I don't drink any more. Any alcohol was fine for me. Sweet, straight scotch - it was all good. :(
  • sarahlovesfood25
    Options
    Its an alcopop but has lots of calories and sugar x
  • sarahlovesfood25
    Options
    Think the next time i should just be positive and maybe have spirits as a treat instead of this sugary alcopop rubbish lol like u say a loss is still good
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Work on figuring out how you can forestall this old self destructive pattern next time. How else might you get over a disappointment, that doesn't involve food or alcohol? Self talk is good. A good long walk can help clear the cobwebs.

Read up on cognitive distortion and "all or nothing" thinking.
  • zenaxe
    zenaxe Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Probably not a good idea, unless it helped you lol. But try to focus on fat loss verses weight loss. Weight fluctuates daily because of our fluids and retention so you'll go up and down in accordance with that factor. 3500 calories = 1 lbs of fat. stay in deficit of 3500 calories ie per week) and you will start to lose fat. Despite the ups and downs of fluid, you can't add a lbs of real fat unless you are 3500 calories over. Stay on course for the long term, accept times you derail but just get back on and keep going forward.
  • sarahlovesfood25
    Options
    Thnk u peeps for ur advice and support,
  • keakels
    keakels Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    zenaxe wrote: »
    Probably not a good idea, unless it helped you lol. But try to focus on fat loss verses weight loss. Weight fluctuates daily because of our fluids and retention so you'll go up and down in accordance with that factor. 3500 calories = 1 lbs of fat. stay in deficit of 3500 calories ie per week) and you will start to lose fat. Despite the ups and downs of fluid, you can't add a lbs of real fat unless you are 3500 calories over. Stay on course for the long term, accept times you derail but just get back on and keep going forward.

A half pound is great! Weight loss is not linear - some weeks you will gain, some weeks lose a little, some weeks lose more than you'd expect. Just keep at it and try not to go too far off the path, remember it's changing your life, and it will take time. The longer you take to lose it, the more likely you will be to keep it off.
  • millie2730
    millie2730 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm happy with any loss but I do get disappointed when I only lose a little but alcohol is not the answer. Just work a little harder this week. Don't sneak any calories in and exercise a little harder. It will come off if you do all that.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    After my first weigh in today ive only lost half a pound and i was so disappointed so i went out and bought myself 2big bottles of wkd and ive downed them!! Is this a silly thing to do? I feel so bloody angry! I worked so hard this week aswell and now it feels like ive let myself down

I think you need to be a little more realistic with expectations.

Even if you do everything perfectly, some weeks you will lose less than you expect. Some you will gain. Some you will lose more than expected. Week to week changes are basically irrelevant - what matters is the average change over months and years. Two data points isn't a trend.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »

I think you need to be a little more realistic with expectations.

Even if you do everything perfectly, some weeks you will lose less than you expect. Some you will gain. Some you will lose more than expected. Week to week changes are basically irrelevant - what matters is the average change over months and years. Two data points isn't a trend.

This^^

Plus, the OP is a woman, so weight fluctuates depending on the time of the month.
  • sarahlovesfood25
    Options
    Thank u everyone i really appreciate ir comments, tips and advice x
  • P13C35
    P13C35 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Its an alcopop but has lots of calories and sugar x
    I was in the same rut. I knew it was a problem. I hated the empty calories but liked the numb. Ive not had any drinks for a couple days now, its not showing on the scale, but I know w time it will. I would love a half a pound a day as a steady decrease. Remember, you are more than the scale. It is a metabolism change journey. Do right by yourself, and the change will come.