How to stop binges?

Options
2»

Replies

• Parkersspace
    Parkersspace Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    At 5'4" and 140 lbs you have a bmi of 23.9. This is a very healthy bmi for an active, athletic teen, young lady. I struggled with eating disorders when I was young and always very athletic and the weight my body wanted me to be compared to the weight my head wanted me to be. When I lost I was never really happy with what I saw in the mirror there was always something and it was extremely hard, I had to have HUGE calorie deficits to lose to just be the weight another person my height would be. This is what happens when you are active and have more muscle than others. I was a gymnast and cyclist and had just always been climbing, cycling, skiing and active and built more muscle than others due to genetics. I know the damage I did to my metabolism through 4 or 5 years of that extreme calorie restriction to weigh a number. When my husband finally through out my scale and I came to terms with I would eat healthy and weigh what that took me to (around 140 at 5'5" btw, the weight stayed steady, I became really healthy and much happier. I accepted how I looked at that weight, which was good and learned to live that way. When my fat percent was measure at that 140 I was 17 to 20 percent. Don't fixate on a number, be healthy and enjoy your food and exercise.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Hello Anony Mouse. You write, "any kind words or advice or even tough love would be helpful. I need a reality check, and maybe a hug, and most of all, I need my athletic body back. I don't understand those who have a healthy relationship with food and just eat what they please. I wish I never had this problem."
    I write, it saddens me to see that you state that using this site as a minor caused you to develop your eating disorder. I don't dispute it. It just saddens me. My kind words are: You will succeed and win this struggle. My advice is: Be gentle with yourself. My reality check is: You go overboard with restrictions, both in total calories and in food choices.
    () That's my hug. Athletic body? Maybe do power lifting for a while. It's still athletic.

The thing you need to learn is that having a healthy relationship with food and eating what we please are not the same thing. Brains still seek sweet. The hand that grabs the first cookie can grab another and another. We have to train ourselves to be satisfied with the food we need, rather than allowing our primitive impulses to eat all available calories in this modern world where calories are abundant. This is still a journey, but it's a journey to the end of your long healthy life, rather than a race to a short-term goal.
  • lvelandi
    lvelandi Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel, as I am façon thé same problem. You put in words exactly how I feel. You are not alone dear. Lots of love for you
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

Some good tips there. I especially liked the suggestion that if you have had binging tendencies you need to avoid any rapid weight loss plans. For me, even a goal of 2lbs a week was too much.

This is a really good article. Thanks for sharing!
  • NancyYale
    NancyYale Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I've lost 110 pounds and STILL binge occasionally. What helped was was to stop beating myself up about it and THINK HARD about the triggers. For me that was either true hunger or getting too far away from routine. So, I tinkered with what and when I ate to make sure I was never really hungry, and I set a livable routine in the beginning. Most important, I stopped hating on myself for it and giving it that much power over me. The better I ate, the more satisfied I was and the stronger my habits became, the less I binged. When I did, I looked for a trigger I could avoid in the future and moved on. And the weight came off. Relax and just keep going.
  • jahillegas_51
    jahillegas_51 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    What does your current eating habits look like? I went through a very similar process, in my life too.

In short, the more rigid and strict my meal plans were, the more likely I binged on foods I restricted. I often called these binges "cheat meals".
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I agree with goldthistime. I never had a binging problem until the time I tried an eating plan that was too restrictive. Then I found myself binge eating.

Are your restrictive phases too restrictive? Are you punishing yourself with weight loss?

Try turning that thinking around and planning a smaller deficit. When I went back to a smaller deficit, my binge problems stopped.

By restrictive, I just mean the 1,200 calorie setting on MFP. I run around 3-4 miles a day with a long run (6-7 miles) once a week, so I usually end up eating more than 1,200 total. I will use MFP and then feel deprived or something I guess, and then just go hog wild on my entire pantry.

What do you want to lose? 10-15 pounds? Set your weight loss goal to a half pound per week and eat back at least 50% of the calories you earn from exercise.

Most people who end up with 1200 calories are getting it inappropriately. 1200 calories is for women who are very short, old, or sedentary, none of which describes you.

@WinoGelato is two inches shorter than you, 20 years older, and has lost weight eating more than 1200 calories.

• VonHocker08
    VonHocker08 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Getting enough fat early on in the day really helps me not have cravings at all.