Why do carbs keep me full and satiated as opposed to proteins and fats?

Options

Replies

• kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    For me fiber is the most filling by far and since fiber is usually associated with carbs low-carb never made sense for me personally either.

Here is a link to a study about a "fullness factor" that shows that potatoes and whole grain things are among the most filling. http://nutritiondata.self.com/topics/fullness-factor
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Gotta say, I don't get it. Not only have I seen studies showing that proteins especially are significantly more satiating than carbs, I've seen evidence that fats are more satiating. I think digestion times factor in. Carbs, especially sugary carbs are digested so much faster than fats or proteins.

I wonder if part of our differences in perception have to do with satisfying versus satiating. I wake up quite hungry (I have a tendency to eat my calories earlier in the day). If I didn't have carbs with my breakfast, I wouldn't feel satisfied. If I only had carbs I'd feel wonderfully satisfied but for a shorter period of time.

Now that I think of it though, it might make sense if you produced less GLP-1 than normal. The studies I saw said that ghrelin levels were the same for all three macros, and of the hunger hormones, ghrelin was the most strongly associated with hunger. GLP-1 levels, in addition to perceptions, were what were measured to show that proteins and fats are more satiating than carbs.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Gotta say, I don't get it. Not only have I seen studies showing that proteins especially are significantly more satiating than carbs, I've seen evidence that fats are more satiating. I think digestion times factor in. Carbs, especially sugary carbs are digested so much faster than fats or proteins.

I wonder if part of our differences in perception have to do with satisfying versus satiating. I wake up quite hungry (I have a tendency to eat my calories earlier in the day). If I didn't have carbs with my breakfast, I wouldn't feel satisfied. If I only had carbs I'd feel wonderfully satisfied but for a shorter period of time.

Now that I think of it though, it might make sense if you produced less GLP-1 than normal. The studies I saw said that ghrelin levels were the same for all three macros, and of the hunger hormones, ghrelin was the most strongly associated with hunger. GLP-1 levels, in addition to perceptions, were what were measured to show that proteins and fats are more satiating than carbs.

The thing for me is if a meal is "satisfying", I'm not going to go looking for more food. Carbs (and carb-combos) give me that "satisfaction" feeling. I can eat a 2 egg omelette with Swiss cheese and bacon and "need" something. When I put that omelette in a tortilla, I'm not "needing" anything. Yeah, it's probably mental that I "need" carbs and am not "satisfied" with the protein + fat.
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I find steak very satisfying - I am satisfied to eat all the steak on my plate, all the steak on my wife's plate, and I could be satisfied eating all the steak on the plates of the people next to us...
  • goldthistime
    Options
    I assume that the cheese and bacon and eggs aren't going to raise your blood glucose levels much so you would need that tortilla to feel satisfied. Not just mental.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Gotta say, I don't get it. Not only have I seen studies showing that proteins especially are significantly more satiating than carbs, I've seen evidence that fats are more satiating.

Despite the popularity of claims that fat is satiating (which I think are low carb driven), the actual studies I've seen suggest that carbs are more satiating than fat (with protein more satiating than both).

I actually think it's the opposite of what you suggest -- including fat adds to taste and satisfaction, so people are more likely to be happy with what they ate, and not seek more food. (For me, fat helps me be happy with my diet and not get bored even though tests indicate that fat is completely unhelpful for satiety -- I have played around and the only breakfast that leaves me hungry before lunch is high fat, whereas both mixed (my normal preference) and extremely low fat do not.)

I also suspect that only a minority of people really have a problem with satiety when eating enough calories. For others "hunger" is more about wanting to eat specific foods or foods that are around and available.

But whatever the majority experiences, the fact is that on this the evidence is that people vary, so whatever someone perceives should be more important than what on average is supposed to work. (Same with the thing about a majority eating less if they eat breakfast or more frequently -- for others that has an opposite effect.)
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I'm the exact same way. Two slices of toast with some fruit preserves on it will keep me sated all morning. Eggs and sausage and a cup of yogurt, on the other hand, like zyxst said... I'll be starving in 2 hours.

I think some people's bodies just handle carbs better than others.
  • lemurcat12
    edited September 2016
    Options

But http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17824197 (I've seen others that go the same way, too. This is one reason I find it so annoying that "fat is more satiating" is asserted so often on this forum as if it were a fact. It's not true for me and apparently not for many.)

The Susannah Holt stuff that rankinsect referred to above suggests that focusing just on macros (other than maybe protein) is probably too simplistic, though, and of course there are individual differences. No study is going to be able to tell someone what foods they find most satiating or satisfying -- those are questions the person must answer.
  • goldthistime
    Options
    That index was developed by quizzing/testing at 15 minute intervals over 2 hours. I would consider the first hour at least to be satisfying not satiating. i have to check your link again later when I have time. At first glance it looked to me as though it was considered a statement of fact at that time, not as proof itself. It's an older article.
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Well certainly any data points not fitting the null hypothesis that fat is satiating would need to be discarded.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I wanted to add - having an apple at the end of my meals typically keeps me full one hour longer. Go figure. Go carbs!
  • goldthistime
    Options
    Fibre (which apples have lots of), affects the discussion of satiety in fats vs carbs greatly. I'm curious as to whether the study I posted (suggesting fats give greater satiety than carbs) had only low fibre carbs. I can't check into this right now but if someone else did I'd be grateful, otherwise I'll try to have a look later in the week.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Fibre (which apples have lots of), affects the discussion of satiety in fats vs carbs greatly. I'm curious as to whether the study I posted (suggesting fats give greater satiety than carbs) had only low fibre carbs. I can't check into this right now but if someone else did I'd be grateful, otherwise I'll try to have a look later in the week.

Yep, that's why so many people say to eat whole grains instead of white stuff. I notice a huge difference when I make pancakes/crepes with whole wheat pastry flour vs all purpose flour, for example (and it tastes great too).
  • lemurcat12
    edited September 2016
    Options
    You can't pull out one study and think it determines definitively what macros or foods are most satiety-providing, obviously. Studies are all over the place and the one thing that seems clear is that that on average protein helps with satiety. That said, the study cited to support a claim that fat leads to more satiety doesn't actually seem to conclude that at all, but to say there's no difference.

(Also -- again -- that something is true on average (which a study might mention) doesn't mean it is for individuals, so I don't know why someone would ever pull out a single study and claim that it means that someone's personal experience isn't valid for them or can't relate to actual satiety. If that's not what's being attempted here, I am misunderstanding and apologize.)

So back to the cited study, which is kind of interesting, although IMO limited when it comes to the actual reasons people perceive hunger or want to eat (which again I think is largely environmental), as well as possible differences between specific foods within the macro categories.

On the study:

The only participants with a BMI of around 30 were used, 5 men and 11 women. They don't seem to have looked at IR.

The study explains: "Research on the nutritional aspects of appetite control has focused considerable attention on the effects of fat and carbohydrate (26). Fat is often regarded as having a much weaker action on satiety than carbohydrate (27)."

Note: this acknowledges the many findings that suggest it does, something these researchers want to test, among other things, specifically: "to clarify the action of ghrelin, GLP-1, and PYY in the immediate postmeal period, by comparing their natural physiological profiles after the delivery of isoenergetic nutrient meals containing comparable amounts of protein but varying in fat and carbohydrate content."

The meals used were quite extreme for the low fat one: high fat was over 50% fat (38% carb), but low fat was less than 4% fat (and 84% carb). They were measured in some way to determine that they were equally pleasant. Protein was the same, as were calories (590) and volume. They consisted of yogurt, fruit, honey, plus coffee or tea, so not too much fiber, but some -- I'd assume relatively low fiber to keep volume steady, or else I can't see how it works. (Worth noting that people who eat extreme high carb low fat diets -- quite unusual -- in real life typically end up eating a ton of fiber.)

The high-fat, low-carb breakfast caused less increase in insulin and glucose levels -- no surprise there.

There was no difference in the effect on ghrelin, but ghrelin did end up being correlated with hunger.

The higher fat meal caused a greater increase in PYY and GLP-1 levels, which was believed by the researchers to correlate with satiety, but the study seemed to suggest that they were not, particularly.

Specifically, the study concluded:

There was no effect of macronutrient condition on changes in hunger levels throughout the morning.

There was no difference in ad libitum energy intake at the standard lunch meal after either the high-fat/low-carbohydrate or high-carbohydrate/low-fat breakfasts. (There were further studies of different meal sizes.)

From the study: "The 2 semisolid meals differed markedly in fat and carbohydrate content but were of equal energy value, weight, and protein content and of similar perceived palatability. Glucose and insulin profiles clearly demonstrated different metabolic responses to the meals and reflected the different macronutrient composition. The high-carbohydrate (and therefore low-fat) breakfast resulted in a greater response in both glucose and insulin. The meals did not differ in their effects on the postprandial profiles of hunger or fullness or in the amount of food consumed at the test meal. These meals therefore had similar actions on the phases of satiety and on satiation (meal size)."
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Different proteins have an impact on me. If I eat lean proteins (chicken, pork chops, sirloin), I tend to get real full around the 15oz mark, but if if it's fatty cuts, it's more like 24oz or so. Fat really doesn't fill me up. Starches (especially potatoes) do.
  • goldthistime
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    You can't pull out one study and think it determines definitively what macros or foods are most satiety-providing, obviously. Studies are all over the place and the one thing that seems clear is that that on average protein helps with satiety. That said, the study cited to support a claim that fat leads to more satiety doesn't actually seem to conclude that at all, but to say there's no difference.

(Also -- again -- that something is true on average (which a study might mention) doesn't mean it is for individuals, so I don't know why someone would ever pull out a single study and claim that it means that someone's personal experience isn't valid for them or can't relate to actual satiety. If that's not what's being attempted here, I am misunderstanding and apologize.)

So back to the cited study, which is kind of interesting, although IMO limited when it comes to the actual reasons people perceive hunger or want to eat (which again I think is largely environmental), as well as possible differences between specific foods within the macro categories.

On the study:

The only participants with a BMI of around 30 were used, 5 men and 11 women. They don't seem to have looked at IR.

The study explains: "Research on the nutritional aspects of appetite control has focused considerable attention on the effects of fat and carbohydrate (26). Fat is often regarded as having a much weaker action on satiety than carbohydrate (27)."

Note: this acknowledges the many findings that suggest it does, something these researchers want to test, among other things, specifically: "to clarify the action of ghrelin, GLP-1, and PYY in the immediate postmeal period, by comparing their natural physiological profiles after the delivery of isoenergetic nutrient meals containing comparable amounts of protein but varying in fat and carbohydrate content."

The meals used were quite extreme for the low fat one: high fat was over 50% fat (38% carb), but low fat was less than 4% fat (and 84% carb). They were measured in some way to determine that they were equally pleasant. Protein was the same, as were calories (590) and volume. They consisted of yogurt, fruit, honey, plus coffee or tea, so not too much fiber, but some -- I'd assume relatively low fiber to keep volume steady, or else I can't see how it works. (Worth noting that people who eat extreme high carb low fat diets -- quite unusual -- in real life typically end up eating a ton of fiber.)

The high-fat, low-carb breakfast caused less increase in insulin and glucose levels -- no surprise there.

There was no difference in the effect on ghrelin, but ghrelin did end up being correlated with hunger.

The higher fat meal caused a greater increase in PYY and GLP-1 levels, which was believed by the researchers to correlate with satiety, but the study seemed to suggest that they were not, particularly.

There was no effect of macronutrient condition on changes in hunger levels throughout the morning.

There was no difference in ad libitum energy intake at the standard lunch meal after either the high-fat/low-carbohydrate or high-carbohydrate/low-fat breakfasts. (There were further studies of different meal sizes.)

From the study: "The 2 semisolid meals differed markedly in fat and carbohydrate content but were of equal energy value, weight, and protein content and of similar perceived palatability. Glucose and insulin profiles clearly demonstrated different metabolic responses to the meals and reflected the different macronutrient composition. The high-carbohydrate (and therefore low-fat) breakfast resulted in a greater response in both glucose and insulin. The meals did not differ in their effects on the postprandial profiles of hunger or fullness or in the amount of food consumed at the test meal. These meals therefore had similar actions on the phases of satiety and on satiation (meal size)."

Just want to pop in to say thank you for taking the time to review the study. I still hold the opinion that fat will keep me feeling full for longer than a carb (although I probably now need to qualify that as a carb that is devoid of fibre), and I did hold up this study to support my view. I'm hoping that holding up one study to support a viewpoint isn't considered offensive, because this stuff is time consuming. Further to that, the abstracted version gave information that led me to a different conclusion, than the authors came to in the detailed version apparently. I just want to point out that I didn't purposely misrepresent anything. You made several points that I'd like to discuss further but timewise I just can't atm. Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to look at the study in detail.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

On the study:

Just want to pop in to say thank you for taking the time to review the study. I still hold the opinion that fat will keep me feeling full for longer than a carb (although I probably now need to qualify that as a carb that is devoid of fibre), and I did hold up this study to support my view.

To be clear, I don't think anyone needs to hold up a study to justify their own perception of satiety (what I understood you to be doing is claiming that others could not accurately perceive carbs to be more filling, because of one study). There are lots of studies that indicate things on average -- for example, that people eat less with breakfast or with lots of small meals -- that don't apply to everyone, so I think it's more important to focus on your own experiences.

I find that fat doesn't fill me up at all, and some carbs do (and that satiety isn't really that important, because I usually don't overeat because of hunger). But I of course believe people who say that for them fat IS helpful for satiety. I just don't like it when people insist that fat must be helpful for satiety for EVERYONE.

Definitely not offended.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    In with the...carbs keep me more full crowd...
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Satiety is pretty complicated, I think. And highly subjective. How do you all define satiety?  Is it the warm full feeling in your stomach right after a filling meal when it is stretched?  Does something just tell you to stop eating? Or is satiety more of the lack of feeling hungry between meals or how long before you start thinking about food after you eat? 

Sometimes, I can eat a small meal and be fine for hours. I believe that macronutrients figure heavily into that, with protein and fat for example triggering satiety hormones (cholecystokinin, leptin, etc).   

Sometimes when I eat a bulky meal, my stomach stretches and I feel "full." Other times though, no matter how much I eat, I feel that I "need" to have something sweet or starchy at the end to finally feel satiated.

I have been reading quite a bit about our gut flora and how it can affect our drive to eat. I think that this is what I have experienced because those sweet cravings come and go depending on my diet. If I stop eating the sweets, cravings for sweets eventually stop. It's quite interesting.
    https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2014/08/116526/do-gut-bacteria-rule-our-minds
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4270213/
    I understand that there are some social and habitual factors that go into this as well, not to mention boredom! It's complicated.
    ETA: the bolded part