Nothing working, close to despair

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,955 Member
    Options
    jolive7 wrote: »
    Everyone is telling you that you aren't logging correctly well I have a different perspective.. have you ever heard of metabolic adaption? most of the time if someone is on such a restricted number of calories and exercising with no loss that is the case.. The only way to fix it is to gradually increase (I am talking 30 - 50 calories a week) until your metabolism gets used to the increase of food.

I am sure your body requires more than 1100 calories a day to function, especially with the exercise. Think about it, if you are stuck on 1100 where will you go? 800? then what when your body gets used to that?! I prefer to keep myself at around 2000 so when I want to shred I can go to 1700, not 1200

I'm sure you'll be able to find the convo about metabolic adaption you seek if you start a thread in the Debate forum.
  • Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Cico is not for everyone. PCOS sufferer myself and in the same boat. I'm going in to get my thyroid tested next month and also thinking of doing a Leptin reset. Look into Leptin resistance. We all have factors that can lead to hormonal reasons our body isn't connecting to make our weight loss changes. Also a good read is forever fat loss. I'm done counting calories to get no where. Why is western culture so much worse than other countries. Hormones, processed foods, sleeping patterns, desk jobs. Sounds like you have the clean eating down, just gotta find the other piece. Good luck
  • Red13
    Options
    Red13 wrote: »
    Cico is not for everyone. PCOS sufferer myself and in the same boat. I'm going in to get my thyroid tested next month and also thinking of doing a Leptin reset. Look into Leptin resistance. We all have factors that can lead to hormonal reasons our body isn't connecting to make our weight loss changes. Also a good read is forever fat loss. I'm done counting calories to get no where. Why is western culture so much worse than other countries. Hormones, processed foods, sleeping patterns, desk jobs. Sounds like you have the clean eating down, just gotta find the other piece. Good luck

PCOS can work with CICO. It's just a matter of adjustment to the CO side. Because of abnormal hormones and whatnot, you burn fewer calories than a female without PCOS, but that can be adjusted for in the CICO equation. Many users on here with PCOS do that very thing. I would never try to tell you it was easy, but it can be done, healthily, and to your benefit with some adjustments. At the end of the day, weight loss will occur if you eat fewer calories than you burn, no matter your condition. It's getting those numbers right and working to your benefit that is individual and subject to issues like PCOS and Diabetes and metabolic disorders.

"Why is western culture so much worse than other countries. Hormones, processed foods, sleeping patterns, desk jobs."

I dunno if this is entirely accurate. Only 36% of the american population is overweight, only 6.3% are obese. That's not even close to a majority, so I don't think you can say the entire culture is the devil here.

"Clean eating" There is no evidence that eating certain foods over other foods makes people in general more healthy. It's all individual and subjective. What may be bad in one person's diet may be beneficial to another persons. A donut may be a good choice if you're low on carbs and kale may be a bad choice if you're lacking protein. What makes a food good or bad is entirely based on the context of the diet of the person who's eating it. And at this point, there doesn't seem to be one answer from any "clean eating" group or defender for what clean eating is. A vegan will tell you it's plant-based foods only, where a paleo-eater will balk at that and tell you you must eat plenty of meat too. What matters at the end of the day is a diet that makes you healthy, the individual, and for some people that's red meat and beer, and for others it's kale and quinoa. There's no one right way to do this, excepting perhaps the rule that you must eat fewer calories than you burn to lose weight.

Sorry, a donut is never a good choice. And yeah, if people want to try and lose weight and keep it off by eating the bare minimum and exercise double the amount. Go for it, it's just not sustainable. You agree with the abnormal hormones, so why not tackle the real issue instead of tirelessly working to mask that problem.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

PCOS can work with CICO. It's just a matter of adjustment to the CO side. Because of abnormal hormones and whatnot, you burn fewer calories than a female without PCOS, but that can be adjusted for in the CICO equation. Many users on here with PCOS do that very thing. I would never try to tell you it was easy, but it can be done, healthily, and to your benefit with some adjustments. At the end of the day, weight loss will occur if you eat fewer calories than you burn, no matter your condition. It's getting those numbers right and working to your benefit that is individual and subject to issues like PCOS and Diabetes and metabolic disorders.

"Why is western culture so much worse than other countries. Hormones, processed foods, sleeping patterns, desk jobs."

I dunno if this is entirely accurate. Only 36% of the american population is overweight, only 6.3% are obese. That's not even close to a majority, so I don't think you can say the entire culture is the devil here.

"Clean eating" There is no evidence that eating certain foods over other foods makes people in general more healthy. It's all individual and subjective. What may be bad in one person's diet may be beneficial to another persons. A donut may be a good choice if you're low on carbs and kale may be a bad choice if you're lacking protein. What makes a food good or bad is entirely based on the context of the diet of the person who's eating it. And at this point, there doesn't seem to be one answer from any "clean eating" group or defender for what clean eating is. A vegan will tell you it's plant-based foods only, where a paleo-eater will balk at that and tell you you must eat plenty of meat too. What matters at the end of the day is a diet that makes you healthy, the individual, and for some people that's red meat and beer, and for others it's kale and quinoa. There's no one right way to do this, excepting perhaps the rule that you must eat fewer calories than you burn to lose weight.

Sorry, a donut is never a good choice. And yeah, if people want to try and lose weight and keep it off by eating the bare minimum and exercise double the amount. Go for it, it's just not sustainable. You agree with the abnormal hormones, so why not tackle the real issue instead of tirelessly working to mask that problem.

I don't see anywhere that she said to avoid dealing with the underlying medical issues but simply addressing hormones will NOT cause a weight loss you still need to put in the time and effort. Also, there are many people with PCOS that are not overweight and not taking medication for it and aren't necessarily starving and in the gym excessive periods of time.
  • MissConsistency
    MissConsistency Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Your calories seem very low. I am also 5'3" on the petite end. I lift 5-6 days a week and add in cardio 5 days. Know you are not alone. The struggle is always real. Do not give up. Feel free to add me.
  • Red13
    Options

I don't see anywhere that she said to avoid dealing with the underlying medical issues but simply addressing hormones will NOT cause a weight loss you still need to put in the time and effort. Also, there are many people with PCOS that are not overweight and not taking medication for it and aren't necessarily starving and in the gym excessive periods of time.

Right, everyone's situation is different, I didn't say to get hormones checked and then throw everything else out the window. Just saying that might be the missing piece if she thinks everything else is in check. I am the same way. I watch what I eat, exercise everyday, and still have issues. It sounds like she's taking the steps to get everything checked soon so hopefully that'll help. Oh wait, never mind, she should eat 1000 calories of donuts and add an hour of cardio, that'll do it,
  • Red13
    Options

Right, everyone's situation is different, I didn't say to get hormones checked and then throw everything else out the window. Just saying that might be the missing piece if she thinks everything else is in check. I am the same way. I watch what I eat, exercise everyday, and still have issues. It sounds like she's taking the steps to get everything checked soon so hopefully that'll help. Oh wait, never mind, she should eat 1000 calories of donuts and add an hour of cardio, that'll do it,

So we go to extremes when someone disagrees with a statement? Ok, you made some valid points then went off the reservations with your last statement. I agreed with you up till then and would always advise a medical screening if there seems to be something amiss, especially if you believe that you are eating well below what you should be. As for the treats, those are fine in moderation for those who have the everything else they need and have the room for them. Nothing wrong with not depriving yourself because ascetic dieting isn't going to last for most people.

It was sarcasm, I don't think people need to eat perfectly
  • Red13
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

No one is advocating eating all donuts, all the time! No one!

Again, sarcasm. I just wouldn't tell someone that a donut is a good choice even if they did need carbs
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

So we go to extremes when someone disagrees with a statement? Ok, you made some valid points then went off the reservations with your last statement. I agreed with you up till then and would always advise a medical screening if there seems to be something amiss, especially if you believe that you are eating well below what you should be. As for the treats, those are fine in moderation for those who have the everything else they need and have the room for them. Nothing wrong with not depriving yourself because ascetic dieting isn't going to last for most people.

Of course I understood that, I just thought you had some very good points and then went over the top when you didn't need to.
  • Red13
    Options

Of course I understood that, I just thought you had some very good points and then went over the top when you didn't need to.

Got it. My apologies, don't want to offend anyone. Good luck to OP
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options

I think you know that's not what I meant. I certainly hope you know that. A donut is not invariably a bad food. Again, it's within the context of one's diet and preferences. I am also a big fan of having your hormones checked, especially thyroid because I have some experience with the terrible effect a malfunctioning thyroid can have on a person and their weight. I also don't think you should just ignore PCOS and go about using CICO as though the PCOS wasn't a factor. I was addressing PCOS that is 1. Diagnosed 2. Treated or at least well controlled. As well as other hormone and metabolic disorders.
  • Red13
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »

No one is advocating eating all donuts, all the time! No one!

Again, sarcasm. I just wouldn't tell someone that a donut is a good choice even if they did need carbs

So, weight loss includes a TON of factors to consider, and not all of them are purely nutritional. We're not robots, and nobody chooses the most nutritionally beneficial foods at all times. It's important to take all of the emotional and social factors into consideration as well, and it's important that we tell people that it's okay to think about those things when they make food choices.

Weight loss takes time. It almost always takes longer than you think it's going to, so at some point, adherence to your plan becomes a issue you need to tackle. Almost everyone gets to the point when they think that they can't take just one more freaking day. At that point, having the freedom to eat a doughnut can be really helpful. If eating 190 calories (the number of calories in one krispy kreme glazed, btw, not "thousands") of doughnut makes the difference between staying in your deficit or abandoning it, it's not only a good choice, it's the best choice.

And the insulin resistant will tell you that the donut sends you on a downward spiral leading to binges. So, not the best choice for everyone. Not sure why we're still talking about the donut, I reinforced the fact that OP eats clean, which does matter and that's awesome. I understand nothing is perfect though and that's fine.