Is it possible that your body rejects unhealthy food?

Options
jenrak
jenrak Posts: 11 Member
edited September 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
It's been 2 months now since I started eating clean and living healthy. I stick to the calorie intake suggested by MFP and I tried to stick closer to the recommended macronutrients. I exercise regularly which includes cardio and weight training. I stopped drinking wine, coffee, soda and I stopped eating foods that are oily and greasy and also fast food. I lost more than 10 pounds in 2 months. Last weekend I went to a friend's party and they served all these foods that I mentioned above and I ate moderate amount of them. I thought it was alright because it was just a moderate amount. However, after the party I had severe heartburn for 12 hours that was untreatable by otc meds and repositioning. I had sleepless night wailing and regretting why I ate those foods. It was only relieved when I did a cardio work out the next day and when I started eating clean again. I think this is my body's way of punishing me. I learned my lesson in a hardest way.

Replies

• Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    That happens to me when I eat crappy food now. Either heartburn or some kind of stomach distress.
  • cbusnightowl
    cbusnightowl Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    My sister decided to eat a pescatarian diet after watching a couple documentaries about the meat industry and after three or four years of not getting enough protein her husband convinced her to compromise and add chicken. She tried for three days but her stomach was absolutely not having it so she stopped eating it again and learned to like black beans.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    My story is a bit different. Due to my Crohn's, I've developed major food intolerances over time. I used to love fettuccine alfredo, but then I had to give up the heavy cream. I was fine with pasta and bread, then one day wheat caused all sorts of problems. This kept happening with all sorts of foods until I slowly changed my diet. I eventually had to redo everything. Being on the diet that I am on now, I can tell when I have a horrible reaction to certain foods. I know there are very few foods I can eat at restaurants, fast food is out, and I can't handle anything too sugary - that's more about taste, though (my taste buds changed a lot as well). I love feeling good, but sometimes I miss the convenience.

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Because of crohn'sy body rejects many "healthy" foods, leafy vegetables being the worst.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Oh goodness, yes! When our family moved from SAD (standard american diet) to a whole foods, organic diet our bodies went through a lot of changes! If my crew gets a fair amount of preservatives or processed foods they do not feel well. At.all. We eat 90% whole foods and organic at home so that 10% of the time we don't have to worry about it (when we go out, etc). But inevitably, people feel sick. We have found that activated charcoal capsules work really well at times like these to bind to the junk in their bodies and move it out faster. The charcoal also helps alleviate some yucky symptoms. It also becomes a self limiting thing after awhile. My teen kids mostly don't like junk food and they won't touch fast food b/c it makes them feel so crappy. So it does become a good thing eventually. :-)
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I have malabsorption of certain foods such as grains and legumes. My body reacts like I just ate sand and not food. I get sick and it takes months to recover.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    I expect your body would reject ANY food it wasn't used to. And your body can get not-used-to a certain diet much faster than I originally believed. Whether it's healthy food or unhealthy food, I think it goes both ways. If tomorrow I ate nothing by veggies and lean meats, I probably wouldn't react well because I and my body are accustomed to lots of carbohydrates and less of these things. I think the best way to ensure you have the least negative experience changing your diet is to not do it drastically. Take small steps. Even with your calorie allowance. I didn't go from whatever I was eating before to a 1000 calorie deficit overnight. I scaled down by 100-200 calories a day until I got to my deficit. And I'm doing the same thing now as I start on the second 30lbs of loss to get me to goal after my brief recomp (maintenance, diet break whatever you want to call it, I stopped having a deficit for a while) over the summer. Both for calories and food choices.

There's no reason for weight loss to be painful, uncomfortable, sure sometimes, but if what you're (not necessarily to OP, general statement) doing is painful, consider losing slower. Consider whether a lot of pain all at once is really better than limited discomfort and a slower path.

I'm sorry you're suffering OP, and I hope it goes away soon.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I can't eat McDonalds anymore, because i feel nauseous and just off afterward. I used to have a Big Mac meal once a week before trying to lose weight with no ill effects.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I don't think the body will reject any food that isn't poisonous or allergenic. I suspect that discomfort may have been a gallstone attack. Eating low fat makes them build up, and eating fat makes the gallbladder empty itself. You may want to get it checked out.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    When I throw in off the wall things like eating fast food when I do not eat this normally, my body is not used to eating that stuff anymore. I notice side effects if you will, like it might disturb my bathroom habits, cause indigestion or heart burn or make me lethargic and sleepy etc.

Sometimes you are out and about and this is what is available..Oh yeah, eating hot dogs is hard for me now.

• jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    i usually feel very uncomfortable and bloated after i eat greasy/deep fried/unhealthy food now. so i eat very little if i want to eat something like that.
  • KiraCharman
    KiraCharman Posts: 90 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    My body rejects unhealthy foods so yes it's possible :) if anyone is looking for a friend during there journey feel free to add me :)
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    This doesn't really happen to me - I eat well, not much crap and hardly ever red meat, maybe once a year. But when I have it, no problem.

Too much fat at one meal can mess with me though - whether healthy or not.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Too much fat in one sitting will make me ill and put me in serious pain, but that's because my gall bladder isn't with me any longer and fat digestion doesn't work nearly as well anymore. :wink:
  • cinnabondelights
    cinnabondelights Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened to me after months of eating better but the past week I've been eating a lot of sugar and I get really bad stomach aches. I can't eat fast foods like McDonald's or Burger King anymore without feeling like I'm going to vomit :/