Why do carbs keep me full and satiated as opposed to proteins and fats?

Options
13»

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Satiety is pretty complicated, I think. And highly subjective. How do you all define satiety?  Is it the warm full feeling in your stomach right after a filling meal when it is stretched?  Does something just tell you to stop eating? Or is satiety more of the lack of feeling hungry between meals or how long before you start thinking about food after you eat? 

That's why I started using "not hungry" for when I've eaten food but will want to eat again in an hour or so; and "satisfied" for when I've eaten food that won't have me looking to eat again for 4-5 hours. My breakfast and lunch today were "satisfying". I'm not thinking about food or how long until supper.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Everywhere I read in groups, forums, testimonies, and online blogs swear by protein and/or fats being the best type of foods for hunger problems and cravings, and state that carbs will make hunger and cravings worse. But for some reason its the complete opposite for me. High fats and/or proteins spark my hunger and cause my cravings. Carbs don't. I've even done experimenting. For example, a big omelette will hold me off for maybe 2 hours before I'm hungry again. A stack of pancakes or big bowl of oatmeal (equal calories to the omelette) will hold me off for 5 hours before I'm hungry again. Similar with dinner. High carb dinner = no midnight cravings. I've tried different eating lifestyles; low-carb, keto, Paleo, and a balance of each macro. But the only thing that ended up stopping my cravings, binges, tiredness, frequent hunger and snacking is a high carb, low fat diet (even though the calories haven't changed). Can someone explain? Not that I'm complaining. I'm just confused because so many others suggest to cut carbs and increase fats when it comes to hunger problems, satiety and fatigue. Another thing; when I was eating higher fats+protein while lower carbs, I had bloating issues. My stomach didn't flatten until high carb, low fat (another thing that's contradictory). Is there something wrong with my body? lol

I'm absolutely fine with carbs. They do keep me full and energized. I love normal pasta, white rice or or all sorts of breads, especially things like a simple white baguette or Arab flatbread. Adding protein to a bread doesn't do too much for me apart from taste. Fats on the other hand are fairly useless for me. I don't seem to digest them well. No tummy pain or anything. They just arrive again at the other end; and don't work really against hunger. I can eat a whole pack of proper fatty crisps and it pretty much works against hunger similar than the amount of carbs in them eaten as bread or rice. Yes, I finally want to know why and will go to a doctor, but it's never been different for me.

Oh, not wanting to make people envious. I had a period where I ate crisps every day next to my my normal everyday food. I hardly gained any weight. Some other time I had a period where I ate masses of hard candy (Nimm2, if anyone knows them. Glad I can't get them here). I gained masses of weight. And I can still eat a bag of crisps each day and go over my calorie allowance and not gain.
  • tanyaltrl
    tanyaltrl Posts: 42 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Check out Dr. McDougall either on youtube or his books The Starch Solution or McDougall Program for Maximum Weight Loss. In both he talks about how we need carbs more than any other nutrient and you actually keep weight off more naturally without calorie counting. The high protein claims are actually funded and pushed by meat and dairy industry. So he promotes a high carb low fat diet similar to the one you said makes you feel best
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    What do you consider a "high protein" claim?
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    at the end of the day.. regardless of the whole "there are so special snowflakes" Ones perception of satiety does differ. Just like taste. It doesnt matter what any study says. No study on earth can tell me im wrong on what satisfies me both mentally and physically. The arguments will go round and roung... YOUR WRONG... not but YOUR WRONG.
    everyone is wrong and everyone is right.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    That index was developed by quizzing/testing at 15 minute intervals over 2 hours. I would consider the first hour at least to be satisfying not satiating. i have to check your link again later when I have time. At first glance it looked to me as though it was considered a statement of fact at that time, not as proof itself. It's an older article.

I get what you're saying, I really do... but here's my issue with it...

Why? Why does this have to be the same for all people? Why does it have to be a difference between "satisfying" and "sating"?

There are people in this thread who have posted that they've eaten pancakes and have been satisfied AND sated for hours. They show on a small scale that there's room for individual difference here on the whole issue.

• coffeethencardio
    coffeethencardio Posts: 27 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I follow a Whole Food Plant Based Diet. All I eat are carbs and plant based proteins and plant based fats. I made the switch 4Aug2014 and I am down 70 pounds with 7 to go. Sure, I could be further along but I fell off the rails a few times. Carbs and starches are what our brains run on. After omitting meat, eggs, and dairy from my diet along with refined and processed foods my body can use starch as its main source of calories more efficiently. I've never been healthier or stronger. No more migraines or joint pain either. IMHO, carbs and starches aren't bad. When paired with animal products and fats our bodies can't process them efficiently.

Forgot to say No, there is nothing wrong with you. :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Different proteins have an impact on me. If I eat lean proteins (chicken, pork chops, sirloin), I tend to get real full around the 15oz mark, but if if it's fatty cuts, it's more like 24oz or so. Fat really doesn't fill me up. Starches (especially potatoes) do.

.... that's a lot of meat.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    Different proteins have an impact on me. If I eat lean proteins (chicken, pork chops, sirloin), I tend to get real full around the 15oz mark, but if if it's fatty cuts, it's more like 24oz or so. Fat really doesn't fill me up. Starches (especially potatoes) do.

.... that's a lot of meat.

Go big or go home ;)

I typically eat 9 oz with a bunch of veggies, unless I go out.