For those who gained it back

Options

Replies

• DanerTee
    DanerTee Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I starved myself to lose 97 lbs and within 2 years it was back, plus a bonus 10. As soon as I allowed myself "normal" foods, my body DEMANDED I make up for the year of deprivation and I literally couldn't stop eating.
    I am now simply exercising and counting calories, no other "rules" and I am down 22 lbs in 7 weeks. I also feel amazing, not like I'm going to pass out all the time.
  • LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Stupid question here: I maintain my weight at 155 lbs and stop gaining eating whatever I want. Why when I lose weight and get to 140 lbs, I can't just stabilize there eating whatever I want? Does that make sense? Does it take a different amount of calories to MAINTAIN 155 lbs than maintaining 140 lbs? Sorry if it sounds dumb!
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I lost just about 70 pounds. I then read too much into 'eat more to weigh less' .. I was eating more but not moving more. Then I gave up - stress, injury, who-gives-a-f*** attitude... Gained 40lbs back

I know how to lose it. Just needed my head back into the game. I'm recommitted, MFP makes it easier.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I lost weight a couple years ago (30 ish pounds) by going very low carb. The weight came off pretty easily, but a few months into it my hair started falling out. This scared me, and I tried to eat "a more balanced diet"-- problem was that as I added carbs back I still ate higher fat so needless to say it all came back in short order.

This time I really thought about it and remembered many years ago I lost weight by counting calories. Eating my normal foods, but less. I started counting again July 1. After nosing around online, I found MFP and joined up here after losing the first 12 pounds or so. I found I was close on calories to what MFP tells me.

This is so much easier for me, no foods are off limits which I guess is what I need for the long term.
  • Reamellie
    Reamellie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My highest weight before was 255. I decided that was enough. I started going to the gym all the time. The gym is 100% what made me lose the weight. I know a lot of people say you can't outrun a bad diet, but I would literally go to the gym and then go eat at a pizza buffet after. I got down to 217 by doing that.
    I got with my boyfriend and instead of slaving away in the gym like I should have done, I started to spend all my free time with him. His family also went out to eat a lot. Like, every night. I would get invited and I would go.

So, today, here I am. 4 years later and 278 pounds. I gained it all back and then some. For me, it is 100% because I am not eating as well and not working out.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    denisekotz wrote: »
    Stupid question here: I maintain my weight at 155 lbs and stop gaining eating whatever I want. Why when I lose weight and get to 140 lbs, I can't just stabilize there eating whatever I want? Does that make sense? Does it take a different amount of calories to MAINTAIN 155 lbs than maintaining 140 lbs? Sorry if it sounds dumb!

It's not dumb. And, yes, it requires fewer calories to maintain 140 than it does to maintain 155. I'd estimate it's in the ballpark of 100 calories/day fewer. So, if you eat "maintain 155" calories when you weigh 140, you'll gain about 1 pound/month. The gain will slow down as you approach 155 until you stop there again.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

I got down to my goal weight of 143lbs last year, and staying there required constant vigilance, hard work and perfect calorie counting.. it was just hard!
    Right now i'm between 148-150lbs and staying here is easy, and doesn't require much effort at all. It's hard to believe a few less lbs make such a big difference, but in my experience, they do.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options

I got down to my goal weight of 143lbs last year, and staying there required constant vigilance, hard work and perfect calorie counting.. it was just hard!
    Right now i'm between 148-150lbs and staying here is easy, and doesn't require much effort at all. It's hard to believe a few less lbs make such a big difference, but in my experience, they do.

Perfect calorie counting ugggg. So far I haven't really measured anything except cheese for a week to get a good feel for 1oz. I generally overestimate so I'm probably cheating myself out of calories, but I really really want to get to a point where I don't have to count, reality may be that never happens but I want to try!

Thanks everyone for sharing!
  • cass0314
    cass0314 Posts: 39 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    In 2014 I lost 50lbs using MFP and CICO. I have a very unhealthy relationship with food, so when I'm not in the "dieting" or "calorie counting" mindset, I revert to poor habits and quickly gain weight back. I've learned that losing the weight I wish to lose is going to take a significant amount of time, and once I reach my goals, I'm still going to have to count calories if I want to keep from going through all of this again. I am hoping over time that my relationship with food will improve and I will view it more as fuel than as a consolation prize, a celebratory indulgence, a comfort in times of stress, etc.
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Truly, because I viewed the entire kit'n'kaboodle as a sprint rather than a cross country run.
    I didn't address underlying unhealthy attitudes towards food.
    Quite simply, I hit my goal, put my food scale away, signed out of MFP and didn't sign in again
    Until the weight came back.

This is what I have done and many others as well. I've won this race a few times only to find myself at the starting line again.
  • shirleycalderon5
    Options
    Hey ladies,

My starting weight is now 275 goal weight 130 and to gain back 40 pounds in mussle so 170. I recently gained 55 pounds in the last six months. Between love and birth control and poor eating habits I'm feeling extremely discouraged. Any advice out there?!?!?
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    40 pounds of muscle sounds like a lot. I'd focus on losing fat while preserving muscle rather than trying to lose a pile of weight *then* start worrying about muscle.

To preserve muscle, lift heavy. Eat enough protein. Have a calorie deficit (for the fat loss part).
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Is adding 40lbs of muscle even possible?
  • WrenTheCoffeeAddict
    Options
    For me, it's giving myself a solid but sensible goal. I want people to be surprised when they see me at Christmas. So, I want to lose 14lb by Christmas. I have to keep that in my mind at all times, because my proper goal weight seems so far away these days.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    40 pounds of muscle sounds like a lot. I'd focus on losing fat while preserving muscle rather than trying to lose a pile of weight *then* start worrying about muscle.

To preserve muscle, lift heavy. Eat enough protein. Have a calorie deficit (for the fat loss part).

@shirleycalderon5 This is good advice. I would add a recommendation to not focus on your "BIG GOAL". Standing at 275 and staring at 130 can be overwhelming and discouraging. Instead, take it one day at a time. Each morning, wake up and review your goal: "Today, I will weigh, measure, and log my food and I will engage in movement." Sometimes, today can even be too much, so then focus on the moment: "Right now, I will get up and go for a walk" and "I will log this bite of food."

Slowly, but surely, it will get easier and you will get to your goal. Good luck!

This!!! Reachable goals are a must for me, or discouragement sets in. Even though I have an overall goal it's so far away (6-8 months) that I need smaller goals and not all weight related.
  • AriesGal329
    AriesGal329 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Six years ago I lost 35 pounds by quitting drinking, moderate exercise, and sticking to a very strict calorie intake through Weight Watchers. It took me about 6 months to lose it. I kept it off for about a year, but as I started to drink wine again and quit Weight Watchers, the pounds starting coming back on. They came slowly, but I have gained back all of the weight I lost. It was very difficult to stick to such a low calorie intake (about 1300 per day max) and no alcohol. I need to now find a middle ground to get it off and keep it off. Oh, and btw, menopause doesn't help!
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Old threads with good responses stick in my head. 'For those who gained it all back'.

I joined MFP when this thread was active. In 2014, I adhered to a strict food protocol that wasn't useful for the short term and was completely useless for the long term. I ate it all back. Rebound weight gain with friends.

It's taken me 6 years to dig my way out of that much deeper hole with food. You can have the answers to everything and still not be able to do anything.

Telling on yourself from your soul can heal you again. Our bodies and minds were made to heal.

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    @PAV8888

'Try for small changes over time.

People make big changes: gym exercise lose weight now. I ate at a party, I am doomed, I might as well binge.

I am trying the: yes this is forever approach. Yes I will have to pay attention to my food intake and expenditure forever so I might as well seek to make things as enjoyable and normal as possible within those parameters. I won't lose the weight in a day or two and I won't gain it in a day. If I gain a bit it is not the end of the world and I don't have to spend a month getting ready for the big diet... just reduce by 250 or less and wait for a month or two for things to come back to an even keel.

I.e. small changes. There is no: "I'm off the diet party and no special preparation to "start watching things tomorrow"

Anyway... that's my approach. Whether it works long term or not... I'll let you know someday''

After all of these years, I have a burning question for you. Do you take advice from those who can't follow their own advice.

A decade ago, I went to a medical professional and dietitian about Maintenance. Neither one were taking their own advice and I found someone different that I could relate to. I am a Show Me Your Results and Don't Tell Me About Your Efforts person.

Don't tell me your evaluation during the process but give me the facts after you've been able to do it. <3

• breefoshee
    breefoshee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    It really seems like no matter what you do, there needs to be an exit strategy at maintenance AND be prepared to implement before maintenance.

Every method of weight loss is "unsustainable" in my opinion, because no one loses weight forever. Even if you are eating at a tiny deficit and only losing 0.25 lbs a week, eventually, you will hit your goal and have to figure out the new normal.

I lost 50lbs a few years ago, gained back 30, then lost it again and gained back 30. Each time doing "sustainable" things--or at least believing whole heartily that I could do xy thing forever. I think that because I never hit my weight goal, I never tried to figure out what to do just to maintain at a level that wasn't my goal.

So rather than just taking a little break to maintain, I kept trying to lose having an all or nothing mentality, keeping a deficit for some days and then going off the rails on others. I think that next time I am feeling burnt out, I might up my calories to maintenance for a couple weeks.

TL;DR I think that often I don't "arrive" in maintenance and therefore aren't ready practice maintaining before I've reached my goal weight.