Options
13»

Replies

• cornysmall
    cornysmall Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    cornysmall wrote: »
    @heathbn soda addiction boils down to sugar addiction.

Probably not. It's usually about caffeine or just habit. (Indeed, lots of people struggle with cutting down on diet soda or find cutting down on sugary soda easy if they like and can sub diet.)

I'm cutting down on coffee now (not a big soda drinker and it's always been diet), and it's pretty much the same.

We get sugar in other parts of our diet, obviously, including from fruit and veg (I had 19 grams this morning from fruit and veg and plain greek yogurt).

I agree about the caffeine, but sugar in fruit and veg is different from refined sugar, especially in the way the body metabolizes it and the brain reacts to it.
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Motivation? Kidney stones. Osteoporosis. Mineral deficiency. Caffeine addiction. High blood pressure and triglycerides. Pre-diabetes.

Many users report that quitting carbonated drinks makes a huge difference in weight loss.

You do not have to go cold turkey. Try sweet tea or unsweetened tea. Try juice. Try seltzer water or infused drinks. Some of these options still have sugar or bubbles, but do whatever you need to do to get where you want. There's always time later for other changes if you want.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Probably not. It's usually about caffeine or just habit. (Indeed, lots of people struggle with cutting down on diet soda or find cutting down on sugary soda easy if they like and can sub diet.)

I'm cutting down on coffee now (not a big soda drinker and it's always been diet), and it's pretty much the same.

We get sugar in other parts of our diet, obviously, including from fruit and veg (I had 19 grams this morning from fruit and veg and plain greek yogurt).

I agree about the caffeine, but sugar in fruit and veg is different from refined sugar, especially in the way the body metabolizes it and the brain reacts to it.

No it's not.
  • zbobbsemple
    zbobbsemple Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I started weaning off soda by transferring to diet soda, then moved on to Zevia then flavored water to include infused water and I also use the 4C drink mixes found at walmart or some grocery stores. Now when I drink soda it taste bad because my palate is not accustomed to it. It took me about 45 days with this transition to form the habit. I was a heavy soda drinker before with little to no water in my diet.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

This is inaccurate.

Foods are different, but the sugar is the same. If it were an issue of "addiction to sugar," you'd be getting the same sugar from apples or pears, etc.

Anyway, like I said, I agree that we metabolize and react to different foods differently (with an apple you get more fiber, with ice cream you also get fat which makes it a harder combination to resist for many, even though the fat also slows the metabolism some, if you put ADDED sugar with rhubarb or oatmeal it will be metabolized more slowly than if you add it to coffee). It's IMO important to be accurate and specific when talking about this, as it's simply not true that the sugar itself is different in a meaningful way (fruit includes mostly a combination of fructose, glucose, and sucrose, which is itself a compound of fructose and glucose that your body will easily break down, whereas table sugar is sucrose).
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    The way you go about overcoming it really depends on the person. Some people can quit cold turkey - and I find that so amazing! However I personally could not do it. The way I have went about it in the past is to try and drink it every other day. And then eventually every two days. And so on, and so forth until I no longer get withdrawal symptoms. Finding a drink to replace it helps too - personally, I love Arnold Palmer, which isn't even half the calories of regular soda. I have faith that you can do this!! :)
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

Disagree. To your body, sugar is sugar is sugar.
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with coffee in moderation. If you're craving the fizz of soda, try club soda or sparkling water.
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I really, really like the LaCroix sparkling waters, and they are super helpful for avoiding soda, which I haven't had in years, quite literally.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I love LaCroix too. We have them at my office, which is nice.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Motivation? Kidney stones. Osteoporosis. Mineral deficiency. Caffeine addiction. High blood pressure and triglycerides. Pre-diabetes.

Many users report that quitting carbonated drinks makes a huge difference in weight loss.

You do not have to go cold turkey. Try sweet tea or unsweetened tea. Try juice. Try seltzer water or infused drinks. Some of these options still have sugar or bubbles, but do whatever you need to do to get where you want. There's always time later for other changes if you want.

I apparently am not one of the many. I've lost over 100lbs in 14 months without giving up my diet soda and I almost never drink plain water. When it's not soda I add Mio or the generic Mio-style water enhancers. Last time I had any plain water was earlier in the summer right after I got home from a 5.7 mile walk/jog in 85° heat. My weight loss has been right on track and really shouldn't be any quicker than it currently is so I don't see it being possible to make a huge difference for me.
  • Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    You could try cutting back on soda separately from cutting back on caffeine. Like find a different caffeine source (without sugar) and have that instead of the soda, and then when you're not craving soda anymore, slowly wean yourself off the caffeine.
  • crissy976
    crissy976 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    The artificial sweetener in the soda can actually make you hungry. The carbonation is not good for your stomach (bloating), your bones or your teeth. It eats away at the enamel on your teeth and breaks down the calcium in your bones and the cartilage that cushions them, leading to an array of other problems.
    Switch to flavored water. If you need something that's sweet, maybe that'll help. Just don't get the carbonated or sparkling waters. You can even buy the little Mio's or Dasani flavor for water. It's cheap and has no calories. Plus you'd keep hydrated and putting water into your body instead of soda.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    crissy976 wrote: »
    The carbonation is not good for your stomach (bloating), your bones or your teeth. It eats away at the enamel on your teeth and breaks down the calcium in your bones and the cartilage that cushions them, leading to an array of other problems.

Carbonation does none of those things. (Well, maybe it bloats you but it doesn't bloat me.)

Phosphoric acid is the ingredient in soda that's not particularly good for your teeth if you drink too much of it.