20 lbs lost in little over a month of being vegan

Options
bluedelrey55
bluedelrey55 Posts: 21 Member
edited September 2016 in Success Stories
Hey!
I have struggled with weight my entire life, fluctuating from morbidly obese to overweight then right back up again. Well truth be told I am so god damned sick of it! This past April 2016 (290 lbs)I decided to get my act together and lost about 25 lbs from then to late August. Granted I could have lost a lot more but I struggled a lot. I decided to only eat fruits and vegetables for a month and see how it goes. Surprisingly it has been amazing! I did have one slip up when my friend brought back chocolate from Spain and I realized how addictive sugar is. I would sweat and salivate when anything sugary passed my way for about three days then I was back to my vegan self. My cravings have completely vanished along with breakouts and stretch marks. In a little over a month of this I have lost 20 lbs!!!! Compare that to the 3-4 months over summer, wow!. I am now at 245 lbs and my goal is 140. Treat unhealthy food binging as an addiction, forget cheat days and "i will just have a bite"! Instead snack on some dried fruit or sweet potato chips. That's what I do, I would love it if you add me as a friend on here and we can support one another. All the best!

Replies

• workfromhome84
    workfromhome84 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I too went vegan, April the 1st this year to be exact. It's nice to meet another vegan.
  • bluedelrey55
    Options
    I too went vegan, April the 1st this year to be exact. It's nice to meet another vegan.
    I got on the scale this morning and lost another two lbs!
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you know this but just in case be sure and take a b12 supplement, because it's hard for vegans to get that. Google if you need more info.
  • staylo1313
    staylo1313 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I was vegan for a while and felt great and lost about 20 lbs too. I slowly went back to eating meat and dairy and regained the weight. I started MFP 2 months ago and have lost 21 lbs now but eating SAD. I am trying to slowly get back to vegan eating.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    being Vegan in and of itself won't help you lose weight, it's the calorie deficit that does it.
    Now you've had an initial big loss to get you started are you going to incorporate things other than fruit and veg back in to your diet?
  • BabiiSam
    BabiiSam Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I wish I could be a vegan and lose weight. I dont have the motivation or the drive to do that... you guys are amazing!
  • stephyc2016
    stephyc2016 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Have been vegan for four years (coming up in about a week!) Sugar is my biggest downfall! Trying to slowly cut it out as it's a lot harder to give up than meat was hahahaha!
  • bluedelrey55
    Options
    johunt615 wrote: »
    I'm sure you know this but just in case be sure and take a b12 supplement, because it's hard for vegans to get that. Google if you need more info.
    Yes I read about that. I should take a supplement
  • bluedelrey55
    Options
    I wish I could be a vegan and lose weight. I dont have the motivation or the drive to do that... you guys are amazing!

What are you talking about? Of course you can! I was the biggest sugar addict you would ever meet! Try it with a friend I promise it will be rewarding
  • bluedelrey55
    Options
    Have been vegan for four years (coming up in about a week!) Sugar is my biggest downfall! Trying to slowly cut it out as it's a lot harder to give up than meat was hahahaha!

I have been eating lots of healthy fruits as my sugar. Not to much but a slice of watermelon or a ripe strawberry makes my taste buds go nuts! Almost too sweet!
  • bluedelrey55
    Options
    being Vegan in and of itself won't help you lose weight, it's the calorie deficit that does it.
    Now you've had an initial big loss to get you started are you going to incorporate things other than fruit and veg back in to your diet?

Actually I beg to differ, while the caloric deficit is the primary cause of weight loss tons of other things factor in. When your vegan it's hard not to get your daily fiber in! That plus cutting out junk makes your gut bacteria flourish and burst into a beautiful ecosystem that can process foods much better and help you to feel fuller. Another factor is the immense amount of water you are intaking, in fact I don't even need to drink much water anymore to (tmi alert) have pretty clear urine. Not too clear because that is unsafe. There is so much we don't understand about humans and weight loss, I beg you to reconsider the different ways we lose weight.
  • bluedelrey55
    Options
    staylo1313 wrote: »
    I was vegan for a while and felt great and lost about 20 lbs too. I slowly went back to eating meat and dairy and regained the weight. I started MFP 2 months ago and have lost 21 lbs now but eating SAD. I am trying to slowly get back to vegan eating.

You can do it! Go cold turkey with friends and surround yourself with support and no junk!
  • staylo1313
    staylo1313 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    staylo1313 wrote: »

You can do it! Go cold turkey with friends and surround yourself with support and no junk!

I'll have to do it on my own - none of my friends/family are interested. But I did it once, so I will try it again...
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I'd like to eat Vegan twice a week.. just to increase my nutritional goals.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Being a vegan got rid of your stretch marks?
  • blackchick46
    blackchick46 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    tr
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,851 Member
    Options
    I was vegan for about a year and GAINED 20 pounds. For me, having to eat all the carbs to get my protein (lentils, chicken peas, beans) just didn't work. Disappointing, because the vegan philosophy is something I still believe in. I'm envious of you for being able to eat this way. Just remember though, you have to make every mouthful count in order to meet your protein requirements.

And before anyone jumps all over me with the CICO argument, all i'm saying is that for ME, eating so many carbs didn't work.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    It is the fact you are in a calorie deficit brought on obviously unbeknownst to you by your change in eating habits. its not the food your consuming its the calories your consuming. You could have proven this if you track your food prior and now and compare the two.

Where are you getting your protein? Protein helps to preserve your lean muscle. how are you protecting that?

"cutting out junk makes your gut bacteria flourish and burst into a beautiful ecosystem that can process foods much better and help you to feel fuller?"

say what? do you have some sort of scientific article about this? i'd love to read it. this is the first time i've ever heard that before.
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options

I have been eating lots of healthy fruits as my sugar. Not to much but a slice of watermelon or a ripe strawberry makes my taste buds go nuts! Almost too sweet!

I agree! I am not vegan, but I've upped my veggies, no fruits. I eat low sugar and low sodium. I've lost 9.4 lbs these 3 weeks. I'm a sugar addict, basically all of us are if we eat alot of refined sugar. My taste buds have adjusted and when I bit into a granny smith apple it was actually sweet along with tart. But I have to admit the first 3 days were tough. But it's so much easier now.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!