20 lbs lost in little over a month of being vegan

Options
2»

Replies

• bluedelrey55
    bluedelrey55 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    being Vegan in and of itself won't help you lose weight, it's the calorie deficit that does it.
    Now you've had an initial big loss to get you started are you going to incorporate things other than fruit and veg back in to your diet?

Actually I beg to differ, while the caloric deficit is the primary cause of weight loss tons of other things factor in. When your vegan it's hard not to get your daily fiber in! That plus cutting out junk makes your gut bacteria flourish and burst into a beautiful ecosystem that can process foods much better and help you to feel fuller. Another factor is the immense amount of water you are intaking, in fact I don't even need to drink much water anymore to (tmi alert) have pretty clear urine. Not too clear because that is unsafe. There is so much we don't understand about humans and weight loss, I beg you to reconsider the different ways we lose weight.

Then how come there are overweight/obese vegans?

The same reason there are obese meat eaters. They eat more then their daily metabolism.... I was saying that being vegan can help u slim down a little faster....
  • Alpha12
    Alpha12 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Just eating fruit and veg for a month doesn't necessarily make someone a vegan. Being a vegan is a whole lifestyle not just about what is eaten or not eaten.

I am not surprised you lost that much weight in a month only eating fruit and veg. Your body is possibly lacking nutrition, protein etc, and a lot of the weight lost could be lean body mass as opposed to body fat if substantially under eating.

Our bodies also require a certain amount of fats, sodium etc to function properly.

And I can't see how eating fruit and veg for a month would cause stretch marks to disappear.

This.

• bluedelrey55
    Options
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    It is the fact you are in a calorie deficit brought on obviously unbeknownst to you by your change in eating habits. its not the food your consuming its the calories your consuming. You could have proven this if you track your food prior and now and compare the two.

Where are you getting your protein? Protein helps to preserve your lean muscle. how are you protecting that?

"cutting out junk makes your gut bacteria flourish and burst into a beautiful ecosystem that can process foods much better and help you to feel fuller?"

say what? do you have some sort of scientific article about this? i'd love to read it. this is the first time i've ever heard that before.

Hey there, on the bacteria thing so there was no one article, but there are thousands published. It's kind of a common sense thing in my opinion. Protein is in every thing we eat, and especially in legumes which I love. I have felt better then ever, if I wasn't getting enough protein I would be miserable. It has always confused me that people do not just research things on google and health blogs.
  • bluedelrey55
    Options
    Just eating fruit and veg for a month doesn't necessarily make someone a vegan. Being a vegan is a whole lifestyle not just about what is eaten or not eaten.

I am not surprised you lost that much weight in a month only eating fruit and veg. Your body is possibly lacking nutrition, protein etc, and a lot of the weight lost could be lean body mass as opposed to body fat if substantially under eating.

Our bodies also require a certain amount of fats, sodium etc to function properly.

And I can't see how eating fruit and veg for a month would cause stretch marks to disappear.

Ok so no more comments about protein and weight loss please. Getting quite saddening at the lack of people's understanding of health. My stretch marks have lightened a lot. My skin is glowing. I eat avocado and coconut oil. We only need the sodium that is in fruits and veggies and no more. I have gained muscle and loss lots of fat. These questions are making me cringe slightly. Actually I am a vegan. I eat fruits and vegetables and have for a month and a half ish. I am agitated at all these questions. Please everyone. I feel amazing, if I was lacking anything or losing muscle it would be apparent. How am I lacking nutrition??? I reach all of my nutrition goals every day. Except high sodium, sugar and bad fats. I will not respond to anymore questions like this, It's tiring.
  • bluedelrey55
    Options
    staylo1313 wrote: »
    I was vegan for a while and felt great and lost about 20 lbs too. I slowly went back to eating meat and dairy and regained the weight. I started MFP 2 months ago and have lost 21 lbs now but eating SAD. I am trying to slowly get back to vegan eating.

You can do it! Go cold turkey with friends and surround yourself with support and no junk!

I'll have to do it on my own - none of my friends/family are interested. But I did it once, so I will try it again...

I am here for you if you need absolutely anything
  • bluedelrey55
    Options
    It is the fact you are in a calorie deficit brought on obviously unbeknownst to you by your change in eating habits. its not the food your consuming its the calories your consuming. You could have proven this if you track your food prior and now and compare the two.

Where are you getting your protein? Protein helps to preserve your lean muscle. how are you protecting that?

"cutting out junk makes your gut bacteria flourish and burst into a beautiful ecosystem that can process foods much better and help you to feel fuller?"

say what? do you have some sort of scientific article about this? i'd love to read it. this is the first time i've ever heard that before.

Hey there, on the bacteria thing so there was no one article, but there are thousands published. It's kind of a common sense thing in my opinion. Protein is in every thing we eat, and especially in legumes which I love. I have felt better then ever, if I wasn't getting enough protein I would be miserable. It has always confused me that people do not just research things on google and health blogs.

No it surprises me that people research on Google and health blogs instead of peer reviewed scientific research. Anyone can say anything the want in blogs and websites without having to back up their claims

Google has scientific studies which is what I read. I'm sorry do you go to the library and read the encyclopedia? No instead you all seem to come up with this ludicrous remarks that make me laugh and cringe. Most of these comments have been so unsupportive and honestly rude.
  • bluedelrey55
    Options

Ok so no more comments about protein and weight loss please. Getting quite saddening at the lack of people's understanding of health. My stretch marks have lightened a lot. My skin is glowing. I eat avocado and coconut oil. We only need the sodium that is in fruits and veggies and no more. I have gained muscle and loss lots of fat. These questions are making me cringe slightly. Actually I am a vegan. I eat fruits and vegetables and have for a month and a half ish. I am agitated at all these questions. Please everyone. I feel amazing, if I was lacking anything or losing muscle it would be apparent. How am I lacking nutrition??? I reach all of my nutrition goals every day. Except high sodium, sugar and bad fats. I will not respond to anymore questions like this, It's tiring.

You absolutely did not gain muscle while losing 20 lbs in a month. That's not how it works at all. And no it wouldn't be apparent if you lost some muscle in a month.

Yes I have I have been going into get my blood and body fat tested every two weeks. You people are being awful
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

No it surprises me that people research on Google and health blogs instead of peer reviewed scientific research. Anyone can say anything the want in blogs and websites without having to back up their claims

Google has scientific studies which is what I read. I'm sorry do you go to the library and read the encyclopedia? No instead you all seem to come up with this ludicrous remarks that make me laugh and cringe. Most of these comments have been so unsupportive and honestly rude.

How is pointing out you didn't gain muscle (which you didn't) while losing 20 lbs in a month ludicrous? Yes you can find scientific studies on Google but there is also tons of garbage. You can find anything on Google.
  • singingflutelady
    edited September 2016
    Options

You absolutely did not gain muscle while losing 20 lbs in a month. That's not how it works at all. And no it wouldn't be apparent if you lost some muscle in a month.

Yes I have I have been going into get my blood and body fat tested every two weeks. You people are being awful

How are you getting tested? Is it dexa? You can only grow small amounts of muscle on a small deficit ( like maybe 250 calorie deficit) or in a surplus not in a huge deficit.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    By the very fact you are posting is asking for comments. While be a vegan can be a good thing, what the others are saying is right. You can't lose that much weight on any diet and gain muscle mass. That is a fact Jack!
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,222 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hey guys, quick note to remind folks to follow guidelines when posting. If you feel another poster has violated guidelines, please use the report feature to report the post and then move on without posting a reply.

Happy Friday (yaaaaaaay Friday!)
    Em
  • Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

I think being vegan is a very healthy thing to do. I wish I could give up eggs and dairy. However, since you like to research things. Perhaps you should research how your body gains muscle. You absolutely do not gain muscle while in a calorie deficit. You did not gain muscle while losing 20 lbs. I can guarantee you probably feel a lot better cutting out greedy foods, sweets, etc. I just don't like bad information being spread.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    being Vegan in and of itself won't help you lose weight, it's the calorie deficit that does it.
    Now you've had an initial big loss to get you started are you going to incorporate things other than fruit and veg back in to your diet?

Actually I beg to differ, while the caloric deficit is the primary cause of weight loss tons of other things factor in. When your vegan it's hard not to get your daily fiber in! That plus cutting out junk makes your gut bacteria flourish and burst into a beautiful ecosystem that can process foods much better and help you to feel fuller. Another factor is the immense amount of water you are intaking, in fact I don't even need to drink much water anymore to (tmi alert) have pretty clear urine. Not too clear because that is unsafe. There is so much we don't understand about humans and weight loss, I beg you to reconsider the different ways we lose weight.

Then how come there are overweight/obese vegans?
    Ha. I was a 270lb vegetarian who ate my version of 'clean'

Now. Oreos. 90lbs down. ;)

Agreed with this. Muscle is ridiculously difficult to gain even in surplus. Building muscle takes maintenance or above calories, progressive lifting/resistance program and a decent amount of protein... and it takes a while.
    In a deficit...... yeah, no.
  • jules92761
    jules92761 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I for one admire anyone who can live the vegan lifestyle! And there are tons of studies that show it is the healthiest diet for heart disease and autoimmune disease. <3
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    jules92761 wrote: »
    I for one admire anyone who can live the vegan lifestyle! And there are tons of studies that show it is the healthiest diet for heart disease and autoimmune disease. <3

Not all autoimmune diseases though. I would end up in the er very sick if I ate vegan.
  • staylo1313
    staylo1313 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I was vegan for a while and felt great and lost about 20 lbs too. I slowly went back to eating meat and dairy and regained the weight. I started MFP 2 months ago and have lost 21 lbs now but eating SAD. I am trying to slowly get back to vegan eating.

You can do it! Go cold turkey with friends and surround yourself with support and no junk!

I'll have to do it on my own - none of my friends/family are interested. But I did it once, so I will try it again...

I am here for you if you need absolutely anything

Thanks so much! Tomorrow will be my first day cold turkey!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!