Options

Replies

• JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Anything that isn't wheat...potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, lentils, legumes, oats, etc, etc, etc...the only foods that have gluten are wheat products.

Uh, untrue. Barley, spelt, kamut, triticale, and rye also all have gluten. Many many pre-packaged spices add gluten ingredients that aren't wheat.

aren't all of those some kind of wheat product variety?

And Uh...regardless, my point was that there are plenty of awesome foods that are gluten free and really, I fail to see how people struggle with this as much as they seem to...

It's the food additives that get you. How they're sourced isn't always clear.

Another problem for people, particularly those with celiac disease is that of factory cross contamination. A particular product may not have a gluten containing item in its ingredient list, but it can be manufactured in a gluten-containing environment. Sensitive individuals have reactions to even minute amounts of air-borne or residual gluten left on equipment.

Another grain that celiacs have to be careful with is oats. While oats themselves are gluten free, most commercially available oats contain gluten picked up both in cross contamination from manufacturing and from the common practice of using oats as a rotation crop on grain fields that usually grow gluten-containing grains. There are always volunteers from prior year harvests in those oats.

Gluten free oats need to be grown on dedicated fields.

So would it be safe to say that someone who is gluten intolerant or celiac should probably focus substantially on whole foods.

There are lots of GF substitutes out there, but for me personally, yes. I found the GF subsitutes to be pretty high in calories, and the taste is inferior to the real thing. It's easier for me to just eat whole foods, less room for error, and losing weight was made easier by the drop in calories.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Anything that isn't wheat...potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, lentils, legumes, oats, etc, etc, etc...the only foods that have gluten are wheat products.

Uh, untrue. Barley, spelt, kamut, triticale, and rye also all have gluten. Many many pre-packaged spices add gluten ingredients that aren't wheat.

And Uh...regardless, my point was that there are plenty of awesome foods that are gluten free and really, I fail to see how people struggle with this as much as they seem to...

Another problem for people, particularly those with celiac disease is that of factory cross contamination. A particular product may not have a gluten containing item in its ingredient list, but it can be manufactured in a gluten-containing environment. Sensitive individuals have reactions to even minute amounts of air-borne or residual gluten left on equipment.

Another grain that celiacs have to be careful with is oats. While oats themselves are gluten free, most commercially available oats contain gluten picked up both in cross contamination from manufacturing and from the common practice of using oats as a rotation crop on grain fields that usually grow gluten-containing grains. There are always volunteers from prior year harvests in those oats.

So would it be safe to say that someone who is gluten intolerant or celiac should probably focus substantially on whole foods.

They don't have to. There's a wide array of gluten free products out there.

I personally, through long experience, tend to focus on whole foods because I find them more satisfying. I also tend to focus on cuisine that's inherently gluten-free rather than using gluten-free analogs for gluten-containing foods (with the exception of bean pasta, because I find that to be pretty convenient).

But sometimes, I like a Snickers bar. I'm glad it's gluten free and am happy to know that.

Sometimes, I have the urge to have Oreos. I'm glad that Trader Joe's makes gluten free Joe-Joe's.

For the most part, though, sticking to lean proteins, veggies, fruit, beans, and starches like quinoa, potatoes, corn, gluten free oats, and rice would be the best course of action. It is nice to know that there are gluten free cookies out there to buy if you want them though. And Kind bars. They're pretty tasty.

This is exactly why my wife and I eat a lot of mexican and asian style foods. Both tend to be gluten free (gotta watch the sauces though.... damn that soy sauce). Albeit, my wife isn't celiac, so she doesn't have to worry about cross contamination as much.
  • JustMissTracy
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

I personally, through long experience, tend to focus on whole foods because I find them more satisfying. I also tend to focus on cuisine that's inherently gluten-free rather than using gluten-free analogs for gluten-containing foods (with the exception of bean pasta, because I find that to be pretty convenient).

But sometimes, I like a Snickers bar. I'm glad it's gluten free and am happy to know that.

Sometimes, I have the urge to have Oreos. I'm glad that Trader Joe's makes gluten free Joe-Joe's.

For the most part, though, sticking to lean proteins, veggies, fruit, beans, and starches like quinoa, potatoes, corn, gluten free oats, and rice would be the best course of action. It is nice to know that there are gluten free cookies out there to buy if you want them though. And Kind bars. They're pretty tasty.

This is exactly why my wife and I eat a lot of mexican and asian style foods. Both tend to be gluten free (gotta watch the sauces though.... damn that soy sauce). Albeit, my wife isn't celiac, so she doesn't have to worry about cross contamination as much.

Soy sauce almost put me in the hospital one weekend, haven't had Asian food since :(
  • psuLemon
    Options

Soy sauce almost put me in the hospital one weekend, haven't had Asian food since :(

I am sorry to hear that. Kikkoman makes a good gluten free version.
  • JustMissTracy
    Options

I am sorry to hear that. Kikkoman makes a good gluten free version.

Forgot about that, and I agree, we've since found that here too! I won't eat takeout Chinese tho!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Thoughts on gluten free paper plates? I saw these at the grocery store the other day...honestly, with the whole gluten thing I can't tell what's real and what's total BS. My BIL and SIL went gluten free a couple of years ago for no reason...they were just fine...all they complain about is how they've gone GF and haven't lost any weight.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

You have to make everything on your own. I can get San-J stuff at Whole Foods, and it's really tasty. The hardest is finding the other Asian sauces in GF versions, like hoisin sauce. I've had to resort to making my own.
  • JustMissTracy
    Options
    Thoughts on gluten free paper plates? I saw these at the grocery store the other day...honestly, with the whole gluten thing I can't tell what's real and what's total BS. My BIL and SIL went gluten free a couple of years ago for no reason...they were just fine...all they complain about is how they've gone GF and haven't lost any weight.

LOL...I purchased shampoo the other day that said Gluten Free and was surprised too....

As for your BIL and SIL, maybe they substituted the gluten products for same amount or more of cals of non gluten...lots of people treat it like a fad diet, and we all know how well that works.

If I could eat it, I totally would...The smell of bread, bagels, pasta etc is enough to make me crazy sometimes, I miss it SO much!! But what a horror show whenever I do consume by accident...not worth it.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

Okay... I can't see why any paper plates would be contaminated with gluten in the first place. Admittedly, some of the trendiness of the whole gluten issue is utterly ridiculous. I hear you there.

Trust me, as a person who had the disease before it became a trend, I rage at the idiots who think it's a gimmick. It's actually become dangerous to negotiate the real world because since it's perceived so casually, some restaurants have taken a "what-they-don't-know-won't-hurt-them" approach to gluten. They no longer see it as a serious disease-based issue, they see it as a trendy, diet-based fad special snowflakes are applying to themselves.

We rarely eat out any more because of this.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

LOL...I purchased shampoo the other day that said Gluten Free and was surprised too....

As for your BIL and SIL, maybe they substituted the gluten products for same amount or more of cals of non gluten...lots of people treat it like a fad diet, and we all know how well that works.

If I could eat it, I totally would...The smell of bread, bagels, pasta etc is enough to make me crazy sometimes, I miss it SO much!! But what a horror show whenever I do consume by accident...not worth it.

Yeah, I pretty much LMAO...they eat a lot of GF pasta, bread, muffins, etc...it all would seem to be roughly equivalent to a product with gluten, just without the gluten...but they're convinced that the gluten is the problem.

The whole paper plate thing I think is weird and I'm pretty much convinced that it's a marketing scam...it was like 20 plates for $15
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    .... aaaand I just found out I am allergic to gluten. Turns out my break-outs and lack of energy is coming from my gluten intake. Just as I am starting to get back on the healthy eating train, too! For me, it's so hard to find filling foods that aren't bread.

I need suggestions friends on yummy snacks and meals that are gluten free. I'm not a HUGE meat fan. I eat meat, but I honestly can do without. So please don't tell me chicken and broccoli :p

Thank you friends!

Who told you that? Do you have celiac disease?

-because non-celiac gluten sensitivity has been proven (by the guy who originally discovered it) not to exist.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Many hair products have wheat in them. And in some cases, can affect a person. When my wife eliminated hair products that contained wheat proteins, she stopped having dry scale. I have some celiac friends that have adverse reactions to them as well.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    ogtmama wrote: »
    .... aaaand I just found out I am allergic to gluten. Turns out my break-outs and lack of energy is coming from my gluten intake. Just as I am starting to get back on the healthy eating train, too! For me, it's so hard to find filling foods that aren't bread.

I need suggestions friends on yummy snacks and meals that are gluten free. I'm not a HUGE meat fan. I eat meat, but I honestly can do without. So please don't tell me chicken and broccoli :p

Thank you friends!

Who told you that? Do you have celiac disease?

-because non-celiac gluten sensitivity has been proven (by the guy who originally discovered it) not to exist.

Well you can definitely have allergies to wheat/gluten which can be tested with a allergy test. But I suspect you are referring to the most publicized study to argue against NCGS: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23648697 ?

If that is the case, here is a follow up from the author of that study:

Gibson -
    "The other factor is that the two mechanism (protein-induce injury or inflammation and FODMAP effects) are independent of each other and both can occur in the one person. This has not been directly studied because we are still struggling to devise good methods to identify those with wheat protein sensitivity.

It is also worth noting that in our study on NCGS, wheat protein did cause current feelings of depression – a finding that is currently being re-examined in a larger and more complete study (the other was another ‘pilot’)"

Gibson himself can't understand the backlash.

"PG: It is a pity that findings are over-interpreted and ‘dramatic’ spins are put on data. The people who suffered the most were those with IBS and food intolerances – the non-believers felt justified in saying it is in the imagination. IBS is not all in the head. The real question that was at times missed was what part of wheat was causing the problems. It is quite difficult to understand how the fact that demonstrating wheat protein is not the cause in a group of people equates to the idea that these people do not have a problem at all (except in their imagination)."

• Whitbygramgirl
    Whitbygramgirl Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Very good post here. - Lots of good info. Just read and read and read all labels. In the beginning. You will get to know stuff.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Philtex wrote: »
    Any suggestions for GF meals at national chain restaurants?

Depends on the restaurant, where are you located? Here in Canada, a few of the restaurants now have a gf menu, but beware! I've been fooled into consuming something they claimed didn't have it, and it did, more than once.

Thanks for the response. I have identified a few restaurants with GF menus here in Texas, but not many. You are right that you have to be careful.

Related item - PF Chang's just changed many of their recipes, including some on the GF menu. The changes were not for the better, IMO.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Lots of good suggestions here for things to eat. I also do corn tortillas and make tacos out of just about anything (meat, veggies, rice, eggs and combos of all). Quinoa and millet are GF grains. I make a big batch of quinoa every week and add beans, veggies, cilantro. Super yummy!

As far as gluten-sensitivity, I believe it's a very real thing despite what some experts might say. Until they live in your body they don't know how foods affect you personally! I have also found that most restaurants are very accommodating when you ask them to switch things out (substitute potatoes or rice for pasta, for example).

A really good read (IMO) about the subject is Wheat Belly by Dr. William Davis. It's got a lot of well researched information about how the wheat in the current century has been genetically altered from the wheat of our ancestors, primarily to produce greater yields. The theory is that the change in the genetic structure of the wheat used in most foods these days has created greater wheat sensitivity because humans have not evolved to fully digest this changed food, and it's such a large part of the Western diet. I know people may disagree with this, but I thought it was pretty fascinating.

Good luck on your Gluten-free journey. You can make it fun if you put your mind to it!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

You have to make everything on your own. I can get San-J stuff at Whole Foods, and it's really tasty. The hardest is finding the other Asian sauces in GF versions, like hoisin sauce. I've had to resort to making my own.

You beat me to mentioning San-J as a brand that does make a wheat-free soy sauce, (in addition to soy sauces that do contain wheat.)

My Sun Luck Hoisin Sauce is gluten-free. I have no idea where I got it, but don't recommend getting it on Amazon, as it is over priced, as are most of the Asian foods I've seen there.

https://www.amazon.com/SUN-LUCK-SAUCE-HOISIN-OZ/dp/B00I57FIE8/ref=sr_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1475085658&sr=8-2&keywords=Sun+Luck+Hoisin+Sauce

Ingredients: Sugar, Miso (Water, Soybeans, Rice, Salt, Rice Alcohol), Water, Molasses, Vinegar, Pumpkin, Salt, Garlic Powder, Caramel Color, Sesame Oil, Spices, Citric Acid, Xanthan Gum, Natural Flavors. Gluten free. CONTAINS: soybeans.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

Thank you friends!

Here are 1,643 gluten-free recipes: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/search/ ?f[0]=field_special_diet:139

And 1,078 that are also vegetarian: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/search/ ?f[0]=field_special_diet:139&f[1]=field_special_diet:25
  • Whitbygramgirl
    Whitbygramgirl Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm not a Celiac, but definitely have intolerances towards wheat - the less I have it, the better I am intestinally speaking. Otherwise, It's a horrible painful experience with lots of non-stop diarrhea. If you know the actress Jennifer Shapiro - she is very insightful in her own journey of finding out what works and what doesn't. This is a very real disease. I would eat a LOT of bread/buns/cakes/crackers/pizza and everything in between if I could.

At this point, I just don't eat rye, barley, wheat, etc. Barilla (in Canada) has excellent corn pasta - spaghetti, penne, fusili, etc.

Very frustrating...sigh
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

Yeah, I pretty much LMAO...they eat a lot of GF pasta, bread, muffins, etc...it all would seem to be roughly equivalent to a product with gluten, just without the gluten...but they're convinced that the gluten is the problem.

The whole paper plate thing I think is weird and I'm pretty much convinced that it's a marketing scam...it was like 20 plates for $15

Dixie used to have paper plates that used an ingredient that contained Gluten. They have probably since that time changed the ingredient in their product.