Marvel / DC

Options

Replies

• TheAwakening22
    TheAwakening22 Posts: 2,409 Member
    Options
    It's so hard to pick either. I grew up on Batman and Superman. But, Marvel's killing it with the movies these days.
  • Ben_there_done_that
    Options
    mjaykup wrote: »
    Whose your favorite punisher? ^
    You mean from TV and movies? I'd have to say Jon Bernthal did a pretty good job on the Daredevil series. Excited for his spinoff. Tom Jane is just too likeable. I want to have a beer with that guy.

• Ben_there_done_that
    Options
    I wish the X-men movies didn't suck. Deadpool was amazing!
  • skahtboi
    skahtboi Posts: 7,804 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    DC seems to be a little more cerebral to me. Even going back to its Detective Comics beginnings with early Superman and Batman.

Besides, is there a better American myth/legend/story than the one of Bruce Wayne, whether it is told by Bob Kane or Frank Miller or whoever?
  • alphabull
    alphabull Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Marvel movie universe, but DC comic book universe! Marvel's books suck just like DC's movies.
  • skahtboi
    edited September 2016
    Options
    alphabull wrote: »
    Marvel movie universe, but DC comic book universe! Marvel's books suck just like DC's movies.

While I agree that DC seems to fail to deliver on the movie front as well as they could and should, you don't find Marvel's movies to be a little, for lack of a better phrase here, campy? Or is it that factor that makes them good for you?

Of course, with that said, is there anything more campy than the 1970's Superman movie?!
  • wdunnett1
    wdunnett1 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Why can't it be both
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    I like both Marvel and DC. Chris Reeve's Superman is of my all-time favorite films which I first was in the theatre at age 6! Was hooked ever since. I love what Marvel has been doing with their Cinematic universe by bringing everything together under one world. Would have been great if DC had done the same things, but the two big heros, Batman and Superman have several levels of rights attached to them that it's impossible for that to happen. Marvel's deal with Sony is great in that it's a Win-Win for both companies to use the same Universe, even using the actors/characters who fans know in the roles.

I read an interesting blog once about Marvel VS DC which made sense to me. DC Started the hero market, but at the time the comics were primarily geared towards young readers. Marvel had a comic market, but was primarily for older teen readers with more drama/romance. When Marvel started doing Superheroes, they took that same mature style of writing and applied it to their characters giving them the hold on the older teen and young adult market. DC has since spent years trying to get a piece of that which has only come about recently since Frank Miller's "Dark Knight Returns" which essentially saved the Batman title from cancellation, and creating a whole new wave of Batman related franchising.

On the other side though, DC's Character Logos are far more marketable and recognizable. You would find it hard to go many places in the world and have someone not recognize a Superman or Batman Logo. The same can't be said for most Marvel Characters. ;-)
  • wdunnett1
    wdunnett1 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Egger29 wrote: »
    I like both Marvel and DC. Chris Reeve's Superman is of my all-time favorite films which I first was in the theatre at age 6! Was hooked ever since. I love what Marvel has been doing with their Cinematic universe by bringing everything together under one world. Would have been great if DC had done the same things, but the two big heros, Batman and Superman have several levels of rights attached to them that it's impossible for that to happen. Marvel's deal with Sony is great in that it's a Win-Win for both companies to use the same Universe, even using the actors/characters who fans know in the roles.

I read an interesting blog once about Marvel VS DC which made sense to me. DC Started the hero market, but at the time the comics were primarily geared towards young readers. Marvel had a comic market, but was primarily for older teen readers with more drama/romance. When Marvel started doing Superheroes, they took that same mature style of writing and applied it to their characters giving them the hold on the older teen and young adult market. DC has since spent years trying to get a piece of that which has only come about recently since Frank Miller's "Dark Knight Returns" which essentially saved the Batman title from cancellation, and creating a whole new wave of Batman related franchising.

On the other side though, DC's Character Logos are far more marketable and recognizable. You would find it hard to go many places in the world and have someone not recognize a Superman or Batman Logo. The same can't be said for most Marvel Characters. ;-)

Perfect
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I side with Squirrel Girl.
  • skahtboi
    Options
    Maximus wrote: »
    Hard to choose. I love Batman, and he is still probably my favourite superhero. But as a franchise, I prefer Marvel. You just can't beat Stan Lee. Or Deadpool for that matter!

Is Batman really a superhero?? Yes,he kicks butt but he's been trained, like Jason Bourne or Bruce Lee.

Don't forget his intellect and:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA5II5AlO7w
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    Options
    DC
  • olymp1a
    olymp1a Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    Geez hard question. I like both but truth being told I won a lot more Marvel comic books.
  • Ben_there_done_that
    Options
    Does anyone remember how terrible the earlier Batman movies were? Jim Carey as the Riddler and Arnold as Mr. Freeze. Devito was a pretty good Penguin, though.
  • KrazyLeeLee
    KrazyLeeLee Posts: 2,885 Member
    Options
    I'm lovin Marvel I can't wait to see where the Infinity War goes! I do love some Batman and Joker too though. The TV series gotham is definitely on my top 10 favorite shows list.

Marvel is still my favorite though. Stan Lee cameos make me beyond happy.