Can you eat carbs and still lose fat?

Options

Replies

• MJFSH
    MJFSH Posts: 7,252 Member
    Options
    Yes you can!
    been following IIFYM, with a perfect (for me) balance of carbs/fat/protein and have lost weiggt and maintained it for the last few years.
  • momofamadhouse
    momofamadhouse Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Assuredly so.
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    It is virtually impossible to survive without eating carbs.

Weight loss depends on the difference between calories consumed and calories burned.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I find that for satiety, it's better for me to keep carbs low and protein/fat high, but there's nothing about them that will hinder weight loss as long as you maintain a calorie deficitm
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,870 Member
    Options
    I ate a predominantly carb diet and lost 25 kg/55 lbs.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    If I DON'T eat carbs I get a blinding headache! I've managed to both loose and maintain x
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I'm doing it!
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Of course.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    It is decidedly so.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Would love to know OP, where the idea that you couldn't eat carbs and still lose fat, came from? Did you read that somewhere?
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Yes of course you can eat carbs or anything else for that matter. Losing weight is only about being in a calorie deficit. I eat 40% carbs every day and have lost 50 pounds of fat.
  • chapiano
    chapiano Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Yes I have lost loads eating 50% carbs. Low carbs, like you said are fad's. They make long term maintenance sooo much harder than it needs to be. Majority of people on low carbs give up before they get anywhere
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    This works with pasta and rice, but not with donuts. Dang.

I know it works with potatoes.

• AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Yes! I eat a carb heavy diet. I have lost 25 pounds and dropped from 38% body fat to 32% body fat.
  • stephannie6699
    stephannie6699 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    mhm
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    There are many carbs. Some are simple. Some are complex. Some are delicious. Some are resistant to digestion.

The simple carbs are not evil, per se, but you will do well to refrain from adding them to your food by the spoonful. You'll also be wise to read the nutrition label and ingredient list and discern the presence of "added sugar", avoiding it.
    The complex carbs are most of your vegetables. Yes. You can eat them.
    The delicious carbs are often what gets us into trouble with our calorie budget. Think cookies and donuts. Yes. Trouble.
    The resistant carbs are an odd category. It's been shown that delicious and simple carbs can be cooked in the normal way, then refrigerated for at least 12 hours, which causes the amylose starch to convert their molecular structure to a form which cannot be digested in your stomach or small intestine. These RS carbs are able to reach your large intestine where the trillions of bacteria in your biome are able to break down the tough molecules, releasing the simple carbs within, and eat the simple carbs. In effect you, the human, eat some delicious carbs which acts as fiber does, providing no or few actual calories to you, the human, but rather providing calories to the bacteria of your biome. This works with pasta and rice, but not with donuts. Dang.

The starch on my dinner plate is usually of this resistant form, and I do believe that has contributed to my successful weight loss.

Okay I get it!! My carbs come from wheat bread and are 100% complex. Only time I get simple carbs is post workout to help replenish glycogen.

Why are you picking the only response that massively overcomplicates the thing with a load of pseudoscience and tells you "sort of yes", while ignoring all the overwhelming majority of responses that tell you, from personal experience, "no"?

Lots of people on here, including myself, include every sort of carb in their diets and are successfully losing the weight and maintaining the loss. Do we eat nothing but doughnuts? No. But do we worry about the precise chemical makeup of our food? Ain't nobody got time fo dat! We just eat a bit less. that's all that matters.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Eating the heck out of pancakes right now. Down 60+ lbs.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    Affirmative.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png