Fatigue in the gym

Options
2»

Replies

• BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Instead of being focused on the just the number of calories, take a look at the types of foods you're eating to fuel your workouts. Eat to perform. Cardio, I always get a little jump start with a half a banana, an apple, maybe a little bit of black coffee... something to give me the energy I need without making me full. A good BCAA Energy drink will do the trick as well. Then eat your recovery food after (Protein/Carbs) don't really need the fats after cardio. Same with lifting. I lift heavy and have to go with protein and carbs before a session, but I also like to work out fasted so.. my pre workout for lifting is usually a shake with fruit/veggie carbs, protein and limited sugars. Then replace again with real food. Stick with nutrient dense foods. You can build and/or maintain muscle while losing fat, you just have to be super strict and meticulous with your nutrition plan. When I enter a cut cycle I go on a CRON plan (Calorie restrict optimal nutrition). In other words, I can eat very few calories but meet all of my nutritional needs as long as I'm eating all whole nutrient dense foods.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Instead of being focused on the just the number of calories, take a look at the types of foods you're eating to fuel your workouts. Eat to perform. Cardio, I always get a little jump start with a half a banana, an apple, maybe a little bit of black coffee... something to give me the energy I need without making me full. A good BCAA Energy drink will do the trick as well. Then eat your recovery food after (Protein/Carbs) don't really need the fats after cardio. Same with lifting. I lift heavy and have to go with protein and carbs before a session, but I also like to work out fasted so.. my pre workout for lifting is usually a shake with fruit/veggie carbs, protein and limited sugars. Then replace again with real food. Stick with nutrient dense foods. You can build and/or maintain muscle while losing fat, you just have to be super strict and meticulous with your nutrition plan. When I enter a cut cycle I go on a CRON plan (Calorie restrict optimal nutrition). In other words, I can eat very few calories but meet all of my nutritional needs as long as I'm eating all whole nutrient dense foods.

the thing is eating less than is recommended, he is not getting the nutrients he needs,nor is he getting enough calories to fuel his workouts which is why he is having issues in the gym.. its not going to matter what foods he eats really if hes not eating enough to fuel his body/workouts. thats like you telling people that if they fill their cars up to a 1/4 of a tank with premium gas instead of the cheaper kind they will get more gas mileage. you still only have a 1/4 of a tank and you will run out eventually. sure the types will help with the cars"health" but otherwise its not going to last long.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you might need to eat a little bit more, or spread those calories out more evenly throughout the day to keep your energy up. I'm 4' 11" and 115 lbs. and at 1,400 I'm at a slight deficit (if I don't eat back exercise calories). Right now, my CI is set to 1,400 and I eat back all of, if not more of my exercise calories (hitting about 1,600 calories a day) for muscle gain. I strength train 5-6 days a week (let's be honest, usually 5) and do cardio 3 x a week. At one point when I was eating only 1,400 cals x day and doing cardio 5-6 days a week on top of lifting, I was exhausted. Mentally, physically, all the time. I was losing strength, not maintaining. That's as a very petite female. So I have no clue how your body could keep pushing through with that minimal amount of calories. It's a tricky thing, but you just have to find your "sweet spot" of CI vs. exercise. I'd suggest cutting down the cardio a little. Have a designated rest day. Eat a protein bar before going to the gym (and after) and drink BCAA's.
  • jolive7
    jolive7 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Drawoc wrote: »
    tbaker1331 wrote: »
    can't lift as much
    approx 1400 calories a day
    have another 10 to go

Losing fat and gaining muscle simultaneously usually doesn't happen... If you're doing cardio 6 times a week then yeah you're losing a lot of fat... but you're probably losing some muscle as well.

This is so not true
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Why would you go straight from 1400 to 2200 calories? This is a recipe for disaster. Jump up 500 cals then taper up if you feel like you need to. Adding in an addition 5600 calories in a week will have a huge affect.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Why would you go straight from 1400 to 2200 calories? This is a recipe for disaster. Jump up 500 cals then taper up if you feel like you need to. Adding in an addition 5600 calories in a week will have a huge affect.

It will settle after a few weeks though.

OP he's kind of right ..do not panic about scale weight swings it's water and food in digestive tract..could easily get a 5-10lb upswing almost overnight ..but keep on doing what you do and after a few weeks, 4-6, you'll stabilise down again

...it's a psychological kicker and you may want to cycle up 100 a day for a week at a time until you hit your target (it will still give you scale fluctuations)
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »

It will settle after a few weeks though.

OP he's kind of right ..do not panic about scale weight swings it's water and food in digestive tract..could easily get a 5-10lb upswing almost overnight ..but keep on doing what you do and after a few weeks, 4-6, you'll stabilise down again

...it's a psychological kicker and you may want to cycle up 100 a day for a week at a time until you hit your target (it will still give you scale fluctuations)

Unless he lost the 10lbs over a very short period of time it would seem that he is in a small deficit, such a big jump in calories might swing the other way. Obviously water weight will occur but I would stay go slow with the "reverse" diet for want of a better phrase.
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I'd cut back on the caffeine too. Ideally, eliminating it altogether.
  • grob49
    grob49 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    You are just about the same as I am I am 185lb started at 189. I workout 7 days a week with a HITT workout every 3rd day I am on a 1650 cal intake with as close to 166g of protein a day. Your intake can not support your calorie burn. The whole reason I joined My fitness was to track my calories and so far it has been working for me. If you still need a body before your workout popping some Amino's before your workout or a pre work drink.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    mgalovic01 wrote: »

y?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

the *kitten* would you do that for?
  • Anvil_Head
    Anvil_Head Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

the *kitten* would you do that for?

I'd be interested to hear the supposed reasoning for this too. Makes no sense whatsoever to me.
  • musclegood_fatbad
    musclegood_fatbad Posts: 9,809 Member
    Options
    1400 calories at 180 lbs is not going to fuel your body. At some point at that big of a deficit you will start to see your strength numbers go down.