Weight Loss without exercise?

Options

Replies

• Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options
    143353326 wrote: »
    Yes you can lose weight without it but it stays for sometime and then again you will start gaining weight. Same happened to me. Now I prefer to loose weights with exercises.

Sorry, but no. You are not guaranteed to gain back weight that was lost without exercise. Weight is lost via calorie deficit and weight is gained via calorie surplus. Exercise helps improve your overall health and fitness, but if you lose all your weight without any exercise and then consume calories equal to your maintenance still with zero exercise you will maintain your weight not gain it back. I've lost over 100 lbs since last July with only a handful of walks. I'm not going to magically puff up like a balloon just because I haven't adopted a fitness routine. All it takes is knowledge of how many calories your body needs for maintenance.
  • MsRuffBuffNStuff
    MsRuffBuffNStuff Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    143353326 wrote: »
    Yes you can lose weight without it but it stays for sometime and then again you will start gaining weight. Same happened to me. Now I prefer to loose weights with exercises.

Actually the opposite can happen. IF you lose weight primarily with exercise and then stop exercising but keep eating like you were, thats when you gain weight. Former athletes experience this all the time. You can out- eat most any exercise plan..
  • rrj242
    rrj242 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Diet is far more important for weight loss than exercise. Most people can work out hard for a solid hour and burn off the equivalent of a muffin. Additionally, exercising makes you hungrier, and more likely to eat more afterwards.

This isn't to say exercise is bad. It is great for your body and mind in many ways. It's just not great for helping you hit a target weight.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/16/upshot/to-lose-weight-eating-less-is-far-more-important-than-exercising-more.html
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone said but the closer you get to goal weight the harder it may be with diet alone. For me, exercise is basically the only way I can get any kind of deficit. At 0.5 per week loss I only get 1,260 calories. There is no way I can go for more than a couple days on that.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I lost 40lbs without exercise, in about 5 months or so.

I regained close to 10lbs when I started exercising most days. :D
  • jolive7
    jolive7 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Yes but it will be exactly that weight loss i.e. muscle and fat
  • TaninaFit
    TaninaFit Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have.

I've lost the first 8 out of 14 kilos (1.2 stones / 18 pounds out of 2.2 stones / 30 pounds) in about 3 months.

I've just got my BMI back under 25!

But now I have added 15 minutes of swimming 2 or 3 times per week. I want stronger arms and I want to feel fit from now on and in to later life.

I still have another 6 kilos to lose (0.9 stones / 13 pounds) before I can fit "my own" clothes again.
  • healthy491
    healthy491 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    You can and its possible but I advice that you try to find some time for some cardio , especially when you reach your goal and switch to maintenance. During maintenance , I am allowed 1600 calories without exercise , I do 45 mins of cardio and have 2000 calories :) So It does make a difference in my opinion
  • dykask
    dykask Posts: 800 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    wally2wiki wrote: »
    Last year, I lost 56lbs in four months with absolutely no cardio or weight training at all.

This summer, the scale barely budges on diet alone.

I think you don't need exercise (technically), but but some exercise along with cardio is good preventing plateaus.

Exercise doesn't prevent plateaus and in-fact you can gain weight from exercise pretty easily. I spent two years working out harder and harder. I got a bit slimmer but gained 2kg (5lbs) over those years. Many days I was doing 1000+ kc workouts.

When you workout you build lean body mass and have a host of other changes in your body. It is all generally good, but exercise can be counter-productive if weight loss is your goal.

* In the first 12 months or so of working out, mostly short HIIT type workouts I lost about 18 kg (30 lbs). Often my workout was only 10 to 15 minutes. My waist dropped down to about 109 cm. (Probably from 130 cm?)

* When my weight loss stalled I really pored on the exercise, partly because I was in good enough shape to do it. I gained about 1 kg per year but my waist slowly dropped about 3 cm / year. I really suffered from hunger too, it was actually pretty horrible.

* About six months ago I cut most added sugar in my diet and my weight plunged about 1.5 kg / month. My waist went from 103 cm to 86 cm. The drop is still on-going but I've been adding complex carbs and Omega-3 fats to my diet. I've also started using some smaller eating windows making sure I have 12 to 16 hours a day where I'm not eating. Because of injuries I've backed off of exercise at least temporary but I still maintaining. The best part is my hunger these days is very mild when I have it. If you are fighting hunger you might not be working with your body.

So for me, fat loss isn't just about calorie reduction and exercising more. In fact that simply stopped working for me. What is working is:
    * Avoiding sugar and eating heathier foods. I don't even worry about overeating now, I just eat enough to be full.
    * Giving my body a good rest between feeding.
    * Constantly mixing things up a bit. (Changing diet, exercise patterns.)

My primary goal now is to lower my insulin levels and hopefully reduce insulin resistance I may have. Lower insulin works out to having lower body fat. There are more hormones involved, insulin is just the driver with fat storage. While you need insulin to build muscles you don't need much of it. Most of us in this modern world have way too much that that can lead to Type 2 Diabetes and a host of other metabolic issues. Metabolic diseases like T2D are now the leading cause of death worldwide.

Exercise has amazing positive impacts on lean body mass, cardiovascular function and hormone levels. It is a very good thing, but it isn't the main driver in weight loss. What you eat and when you eat it are probably much more important for weight loss. It doesn't matter that much if you eat 1 meal or 10 meals, it is just giving your body time to recover from eating. Probably everyone should have at least 12 hours of not eating a day. That used to be standard in the US when I was a kid and back in the 1960's people were a lot slimmer then in the US.
  • jolive7
    jolive7 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ that is ridiculous
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    dykask wrote: »
    Last year, I lost 56lbs in four months with absolutely no cardio or weight training at all.

I think you don't need exercise (technically), but but some exercise along with cardio is good preventing plateaus.

Exercise doesn't prevent plateaus and in-fact you can gain weight from exercise pretty easily. I spent two years working out harder and harder. I got a bit slimmer but gained 2kg (5lbs) over those years. Many days I was doing 1000+ kc workouts.

When you workout you build lean body mass and have a host of other changes in your body. It is all generally good, but exercise can be counter-productive if weight loss is your goal.

* In the first 12 months or so of working out, mostly short HIIT type workouts I lost about 18 kg (30 lbs). Often my workout was only 10 to 15 minutes. My waist dropped down to about 109 cm. (Probably from 130 cm?)

* When my weight loss stalled I really pored on the exercise, partly because I was in good enough shape to do it. I gained about 1 kg per year but my waist slowly dropped about 3 cm / year. I really suffered from hunger too, it was actually pretty horrible.

* About six months ago I cut most added sugar in my diet and my weight plunged about 1.5 kg / month. My waist went from 103 cm to 86 cm. The drop is still on-going but I've been adding complex carbs and Omega-3 fats to my diet. I've also started using some smaller eating windows making sure I have 12 to 16 hours a day where I'm not eating. Because of injuries I've backed off of exercise at least temporary but I still maintaining. The best part is my hunger these days is very mild when I have it. If you are fighting hunger you might not be working with your body.

So for me, fat loss isn't just about calorie reduction and exercising more. In fact that simply stopped working for me. What is working is:
    * Avoiding sugar and eating heathier foods. I don't even worry about overeating now, I just eat enough to be full.

My primary goal now is to lower my insulin levels and hopefully reduce insulin resistance I may have. Lower insulin works out to having lower body fat. There are more hormones involved, insulin is just the driver with fat storage. While you need insulin to build muscles you don't need much of it. Most of us in this modern world have way too much that that can lead to Type 2 Diabetes and a host of other metabolic issues. Metabolic diseases like T2D are now the leading cause of death worldwide.

Exercise has amazing positive impacts on lean body mass, cardiovascular function and hormone levels. It is a very good thing, but it isn't the main driver in weight loss. What you eat and when you eat it are probably much more important for weight loss. It doesn't matter that much if you eat 1 meal or 10 meals, it is just giving your body time to recover from eating. Probably everyone should have at least 12 hours of not eating a day. That used to be standard in the US when I was a kid and back in the 1960's people were a lot slimmer then in the US.

Yes when asleep until next meal
  • Therealobi1
    Options
    Also you suffered from hunger due to all the exercise so it was the eating that made you gain the weight not the exercise
  • Therealobi1
    Options
    AprilCoe wrote: »
    I lost 100 pounds before I started exercising. I firmly believe that weight loss is about calories in / calories out and it's very difficult to exercise on a calorie deficit.

But if you exercise you get to eat some of those exercise calories back
  • dykask
    Options

Sure if you sleep 12 hours a night. In the modern world, many people sleep less than 7 hours a night. That causes multiple problems.
    * It doesn't let your fasting levels of hormones get as low as they should be.
    * It greatly increases cortisol which in turn causes more insulin to be produced.

Not enough sleep can definitely destroy one weight loss efforts.
  • dykask
    edited September 2016
    Options
    jolive7 wrote: »
    ^^^^ that is ridiculous

Why? Long term studies of diets show they don't work. In most cases people lose weight for about six months and have regained it within a year.

Anyway argue with a medical doctor if you want. http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/do-calories-matter
    Peter Attia, M.D. was doing massive amounts of exercise before he realized that it wasn't the calories that prevented him from losing fat it was the hormones.

Instead of attacking why don't you post some proof that most people that reduce calories and exercise more stay lean in the long-term? Certainly 50 years of increasing obesity proves that calorie reduction and exercising is the real solution.
  • dykask
    Options
    Also you suffered from hunger due to all the exercise so it was the eating that made you gain the weight not the exercise

I sure don't remember seeing you those two years. You simply have no clue what you are saying.
  • Therealobi1
    Options

Sure if you sleep 12 hours a night. In the modern world, many people sleep less than 7 hours a night. That causes multiple problems.
    * It greatly increases cortisol which in turn causes more insulin to be produced.

My fitbit says I sleep 5 hours. I don't sleep well haven't in years. But from the time I have dinner to the next time I eat @12 hours pass
    Anyway I find if I stick to my calories I lose or maintain if I don't I put on weight
  • Therealobi1
    Options

I sure don't remember seeing you those two years. You simply have no clue what you are saying.

Yes you are right exercise makes you gain weight. Am cancelling my gym membership right now
  • dykask
    edited September 2016
    Options

My fitbit says I sleep 5 hours. I don't sleep well haven't in years. But from the time I have dinner to the next time I eat @12 hours pass
    Anyway I find if I stick to my calories I lose or maintain if I don't I put on weight

In fact for about 5% of people that diet, calorie reduction seems to work well long term. Most of us have to struggle with it. You should count your self lucky instead of just implying that others are lazy gluttons.

Well I only worked my pullups into the 40's, maybe if I was able to 100 or 200 pull-up that would have make a difference! I was doing only 80 to 100 pushups a day, maybe I needed 500? I was only running 20k a week, maybe I should have done 100k? I was only biking 50k a week, yea should have done 1000k. I was just too lazy.
  • Therealobi1
    edited September 2016
    Options

In fact for about 5% of people that diet, calorie reduction seems to work well long term. Most of us have to struggle with it. You should count your self lucky instead of just implying that others are lazy gluttons.

I never said that at all remember I have been obese and I absolutely hate exercise. I have to force myself to do it. I only do it as I am of an age I don't want any bone issues.
    I am cancelling my gym membership next week funny enough but not for reasons above. But somehow I will make it work and go back to exercising at home.

Now what ever guilt you are feeling don't try and push it on me.

I am not special no one is special i just keep trying so not to pile it all back on.