Gaining on 1400 kcals

Options

Replies

• dmwh142
    dmwh142 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Well that does stink. You are a very tiny woman, even smaller than I am. After I reached my goal weight I started trying maintenance according to mfp recommendations. I quickly found I could not eat more than 1300 calories per day and maintain. Don't worry too much you are much younger and you will figure out a way to make this work for your life. I don't weight train but it is my understanding that building muscle for smaller women is essential for maintenance. I swim for exercise and it does burn a lot but I don't eat those calories back except for on the weekends. That seems to work for me. I hope you find the magic.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    My best friend who is several years younger than me can lose easily off of 1400 calories. I can't. I'm 41 years old and 5 feet tall.

Keep an eye on your sodium intake. That can make you can excess fluid. 1 bottle at 16.9 ounces is 1 pound. So if you retain a bottle of water, that's a pound. Also, when I begin exercising, I don't necessarily gain but losing is a lot slower but my clothes feel better. And if it's close to your time of the month, you will gain water weight.

You can do this. Don't give up. And if you're choosing foods from the database such as meatloaf as an example, remember you don't know the ingredients that the person used. That can mess you up. Also, I weigh things. When I got my food scale, I weighed a potato and honest to goodness, it hurt my feelings. :D I would have never saw that tiny potato as large.

It takes time and patience. It's hard because we want to see results quickly and we sure don't want to see a gain. But longer you do this, the more you learn from it.

Best of luck!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Are you weighing your food that you consume using a food scale by chance? And is the extra 120 calories (difference between 1600-1480) from exercise?

Right off hand, gaining weight means you are eating too much and not losing because you are not sticking to a calorie deficit.

I weigh everything and/or the food I eat has calories as a portion ( like 1 bread roll is 190 cals or whatever) Yes I onky eat over 1400 when I have excercised but I will onky eat 1/3 calories back. Like I have to have burned over 400 or I wont let myself. I am very very cautious about food and I know for sure I am not over eating ( I used to have ednos so tbf I know way to much about what calories are in what anyway)

You should totally be weighing that food, too. Weigh everything that has a set weight. Weigh all prepackaged items ans they can be off by about 20%. Weigh fruits and veg. Weigh deli meats. Weigh protien bars.Weigh. Everything. Weigh everything that isn't a clear soup, stock, juice, beverage. Weigh butters and oils. Do this before you drop your calories.

oh..make sure you are choosing the correct food database entries. The correct entries are the ones that correspond to the brand name, type and weight of the food that you're consuming.

Please open your food diary.

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    I find your story pretty impossible to believe to be honest. You are claiming an intake of 1400 calories and that when you exercise you only eat back 1/3 of that burn. Lets ignore exercise for now, assume that is actually balanced.

From what others did with TDEE you are basically eating at maintenance but you state you have gained 8 pounds over 12 weeks. 8 pounds over 12 weeks is 0.67 pounsd a week or 2350 extra calories a week or 330 extra calories per day.

For that gain to be true and for your counting to be accurate you would have to have a TDEE of 1050 which is basically impossible.

So it doesn't add up. Not sure why it doesn't add up so can't really give advice.

My guess is other people's guesses. There is something you are logging innacurately. Regardless if you gained 8 pounds over 3 months legitimately (ie it wasn't just a spike on one day) then the solution is to eat less or move more.

Not sure sure how to respond to this.. It is not important what OP is doing or not doing.. we helped her solve a problem she was having regardless if we understand that 100% or not. (sorry) ;)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    OP, can you open your food diary?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    @KwonJiYong69 I'll share a story of mfp failure with you. My daughter said that she failed to lose weight. She exercised. She logged everything on mfp except condiments.

That thing she said about condiments is what I want to talk about. Condiments include sugar in your tea, syrup on your waffles, and salad dressing on your greens. In each those cases, the calories in the condiment is an integer multiple of the calories in the food. Are you pouring any kind of sauce onto your food and choosing not to log it? Are you using cooking oil in your food that you don't record?
  • KwonJiYong69
    KwonJiYong69 Posts: 66 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    I find your story pretty impossible to believe to be honest. You are claiming an intake of 1400 calories and that when you exercise you only eat back 1/3 of that burn. Lets ignore exercise for now, assume that is actually balanced.

From what others did with TDEE you are basically eating at maintenance but you state you have gained 8 pounds over 12 weeks. 8 pounds over 12 weeks is 0.67 pounsd a week or 2350 extra calories a week or 330 extra calories per day.

For that gain to be true and for your counting to be accurate you would have to have a TDEE of 1050 which is basically impossible.

So it doesn't add up. Not sure why it doesn't add up so can't really give advice.

My guess is other people's guesses. There is something you are logging innacurately. Regardless if you gained 8 pounds over 3 months legitimately (ie it wasn't just a spike on one day) then the solution is to eat less or move more.

In the nicest way, I know more than anyone if I am logging correctly and I AM. Id tou read previous you'll find that maybe one reason I could be going over is bc I'll go by packets sometimes. Likeif the packet says 1 roll is 160 thats what I'll set it as bc i didnt realise it could be different weight. Also its obvious my body doesnt digest calories exactly the same as a computer says so maybe?
  • KatKat1209
    KatKat1209 Posts: 229 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @KwonJiYong69 - maybe another approach to your diet - but off topic and not an answer to your question. Since I'm almost the same height as you (5'2) I think that 49kg (BMI 20.4) is definitely not overweight - it goes more into the direction of being underweight if you're going to weigh much less. Though I guess you might be unhappy with how your body looks - so why don't you try a progressive weight lifting program? I saw lots of pics of women here that changed from skinny fat to well toned - with a few more lbs than before... and look a lot healthier, fitter, sexier imho..

Edit: and I think when you do a serious weight lifting program you are also able to eat normal calorie wise which seems to be a plus for you :wink:
  • KwonJiYong69
    Options
    KatKat1209 wrote: »
    @KwonJiYong69 - maybe another approach to your diet - but off topic and not an answer to your question. Since I'm almost the same height as you (5'2) I think that 49kg (BMI 20.4) is definitely not overweight - it goes more into the direction of being underweight if you're going to weigh much less. Though I guess you might be unhappy with how your body looks - so why don't you try a progressive weight lifting program? I saw lots of pics of women here that changed from skinny fat to well toned - with a few more lbs than before... and look a lot healthier, fitter, sexier imho..

Edit: and I think when you do a serious weight lifting program you are also able to eat normal calorie wise which seems to be a plus for you :wink:

I am already toned, I mean im not riped haha but I have visible abs and you can see through my legs that ive worked out. But thank you!
  • KwonJiYong69
    Options
    The last 3 months I've been eating 1400 -1600 calories and my weights gone up 3.5kg. Mfp says I should be able to eat 1480 if I dont excercise but I'm pretty active, I walk 10 miles usually twice a week, I do outward bound stuff (canoeing, mountain biking) about once a week. And its not just muscle eeight. My waist has gone up 2 inches and the top of my thighs have got notcibly more fatty. Can someone help? I really don't understand what's going on with my body and why its storing fat

PLEASE DONT LEAVE REPLIES ACCUSING ME OR ASKING IF IM "SECRET EATING" OR "NOT LOGGING FOOD CORRECTLY" BECAUSE NEITHER OF THOSE ARE TRUE AND IM KINDA GET FED UP OF PEOPLE IGNORING ME SAY THAT. I WOULD BE THE ONLY PERSON TO KNOW THAT SO IF I SAY IM NOT THERE IS NO POINT TELLING ME IM WRONG BC IM CLEARLY NOT?BUT THANK YOU TO THE PPL WHO HAVE HELPED!!

• KatKat1209
    KatKat1209 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I see :) well then good luck - you can do it :)
  • Kati9408
    Kati9408 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    The last 3 months I've been eating 1400 -1600 calories and my weights gone up 3.5kg. Mfp says I should be able to eat 1480 if I dont excercise but I'm pretty active, I walk 10 miles usually twice a week, I do outward bound stuff (canoeing, mountain biking) about once a week. And its not just muscle eeight. My waist has gone up 2 inches and the top of my thighs have got notcibly more fatty. Can someone help? I really don't understand what's going on with my body and why its storing fat

Do you log your food accurately ?
  • dykask
    dykask Posts: 800 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @KwonJiYong69 I don't think you find many people here that will accept what you saying at face value. Don't let it get to you. There are very wide variations between people and you have to figure out what really works for you.

I was stalled and even gaining a little for two years and also suffering from horrible hunger. I cut most of the added sugar out of my diet and my hunger went away. That was in May and I've lost 8 kg since then. My waist dropped from 103 cm to 86 cm too. I not saying that would work for you, it is just what worked for me. Many people at MFP claim it is only calories and they won't even consider that it can be anything else. Just don't give up and hopefully you'll figure out what works for you. You aren't eating very much food, maybe play around with the types of food such as cutting back on carbs or adding complex carbs (mostly beans). Maybe adding fiber or getting more sleep. I'm also a big fan of trying to have a full 12 hours of non-eating a day. Whatever works for you, probably something I've never even thought of.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

PLEASE DONT LEAVE REPLIES ACCUSING ME OR ASKING IF IM "SECRET EATING" OR "NOT LOGGING FOOD CORRECTLY" BECAUSE NEITHER OF THOSE ARE TRUE AND IM KINDA GET FED UP OF PEOPLE IGNORING ME SAY THAT. I WOULD BE THE ONLY PERSON TO KNOW THAT SO IF I SAY IM NOT THERE IS NO POINT TELLING ME IM WRONG BC IM CLEARLY NOT?BUT THANK YOU TO THE PPL WHO HAVE HELPED!!

I know you are frustrated, but try to take a step back and try to look at this from our point of view. You asked for help, and people are giving you most statistical and probable reasons for why someone would be gaining weight. And on MFP, the two biggest are logging daily and accurately. There is a lot of research that would suggest even professionals under report calories by several hundred (below is a bunch of the research). It isn't a reflection on you, but rather try to address that part of the equation first.

Another reason I asked for the diary to be open is for us to look at your entries. Many of the MFP entries are not correct. So if we notice anything in that area, then we can let you know.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/872212/youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think/p1
  • babydull
    babydull Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I've listened to what you've said, and trust that you're logging food correctly and only eating a portion of exercise cals. This all does sound very frustrating to me, you have my sympathy.
    Could well be, as mentioned, a metabolism issue.
    Do you know your body fat % (vs lean muscle weight)? It sounds low if you have abs showing. What macro ratio are you using?
    I think as suggested, weights could help, as because as I understand it, higher muscle mass burns more cals as rest. You didn't mention weight training in your regular exercise.