Gaining on 1400 kcals

Replies

• JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Is it possible that you're slipping back into eating disordered thinking? At 108 pounds and at your height, you are very, very thin.
  • babydull
    babydull Posts: 727 Member
    Is it possible that you're slipping back into eating disordered thinking? At 108 pounds and at your height, you are very, very thin.
    BMI is 19.8.
  • babydull
    edited September 2016
    No, calc was wrong. She's 5 foot 1 that's 61 inches = 155 cm. 155cm and 49kg = 20.4 BMI. A healthy weight by the BMI scale, so I'd be more careful with your wording around accusing recovered people of lapsing.

Her concern is that her weight is increasing despite closely monitored cal intake and exercise - that's what she wants addressing; she didn't say she wants to lose weight, she wants to stop gaining, and she is also unhappy gaining at what feels to her to be a restricted cal diet.
    Right, OP?
  • dykask
    dykask Posts: 800 Member
    babydull wrote: »
    BMI is 19.8.

49.3 kg @ 1.55m is a BMI of 20.5. Low ... but not 19.8.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    OP, it depends on how much packaged food you eat too. Being small, even a 50 calories underestimating a few times a week can make a difference. In my experience, bread rolls and the like pretty much always end up 30-40 extra calories than what the package says.

So weigh everything and make sure that you're using the correct entries.
  • babydull
    dykask wrote: »
    BMI is 19.8.

49.3 kg @ 1.55m is a BMI of 20.5. Low ... but not 19.8.
    As above.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    The last 3 months I've been eating 1400 -1600 calories and my weights gone up 3.5kg. Mfp says I should be able to eat 1480 if I dont excercise but I'm pretty active, I walk 10 miles usually twice a week, I do outward bound stuff (canoeing, mountain biking) about once a week. And its not just muscle eeight. My waist has gone up 2 inches and the top of my thighs have got notcibly more fatty. Can someone help? I really don't understand what's going on with my body and why its storing fat

PLEASE DONT LEAVE REPLIES ACCUSING ME OR ASKING IF IM "SECRET EATING" OR "NOT LOGGING FOOD CORRECTLY" BECAUSE NEITHER OF THOSE ARE TRUE AND IM KINDA GET FED UP OF PEOPLE IGNORING ME SAY THAT. I WOULD BE THE ONLY PERSON TO KNOW THAT SO IF I SAY IM NOT THERE IS NO POINT TELLING ME IM WRONG BC IM CLEARLY NOT?BUT THANK YOU TO THE PPL WHO HAVE HELPED!!

Unfortunately many people don't read, past an OP's original post; before commenting. Therefore it's best to began a thread/post, with as much information as possible; to avoid these issues in the future!
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    One of two things. You need to cut back or you are not counting accurately. Use a scale and weigh everything .
  • sarahjen92
    sarahjen92 Posts: 64 Member
    The last 3 months I've been eating 1400 -1600 calories and my weights gone up 3.5kg. Mfp says I should be able to eat 1480 if I dont excercise but I'm pretty active, I walk 10 miles usually twice a week, I do outward bound stuff (canoeing, mountain biking) about once a week. And its not just muscle eeight. My waist has gone up 2 inches and the top of my thighs have got notcibly more fatty. Can someone help? I really don't understand what's going on with my body and why its storing fat

In all honesty, I would gain weight doing that as well, and I exercise every day and have 3 active jobs. I think you set your activity level too high and it's throwing your TDEE off.

Simple solution. Either lower calorie intake or exercise more.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Anna Richardson, the black-haired lady in those videos, says you have to be "honest" about what you're eating. That's also the one key word I use in talking to people who complain. You have to be honest. Honest with you, honest with the world. Open your diary.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    If you are gaining weight, you are taking in more calories than your body needs. So you have either overestimated your TDEE and are eating that amount, or your TDEE is spot-on and you are underestimating the calories you are eating. No way to really tell without metabolic testing, so unfortunately the answer is that you will either need to eat a little less or move a little more to stop gaining.
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    No, calc was wrong. She's 5 foot 1 that's 61 inches = 155 cm. 155cm and 49kg = 20.4 BMI. A healthy weight by the BMI scale, so I'd be more careful with your wording around accusing recovered people of lapsing.

Her concern is that her weight is increasing despite closely monitored cal intake and exercise - that's what she wants addressing; she didn't say she wants to lose weight, she wants to stop gaining, and she is also unhappy gaining at what feels to her to be a restricted cal diet.
    Right, OP?

I'm not making an accusation. It's a valid concern.

I have watched a dear friend struggle with her ednos, over a period of over 20 years. I've watched her struggle with body dysmorphia and her fear of gaining weight. It hurt my heart so much to see her pain, and I would hate to see another young woman struggle in that way.
  • babydull
    edited September 2016
    It's a valid concern.
    It's not a valid concern to the OP who is both a healthy BMI and not looking to lose - but to maintain her current healthy weight.

• Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member

Right, OP?

I'm not making an accusation. It's a valid concern.

I have watched a dear friend struggle with her ednos, over a period of over 20 years. I've watched her struggle with body dysmorphia and her fear of gaining weight. It hurt my heart so much to see her pain, and I would hate to see another young woman struggle in that way.

It's not a valid concern. anorexics have an intense fear of gaining weight. it is a mental illness. all the op said is that she's put on a few pounds and wants to know why. She has never said anything about wanting to be underweight or anything indicating an eating disorder.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    It's a valid concern.
    It's not a valid concern to the OP who is both a healthy BMI and not looking to lose - but to maintain her current healthy weight.

That's not true, she's trying to lose 6-7 more pounds, not maintain.