Any Spartan Racers out there?

Hi my name is Mike Linzey, I am training for the Spartan Race. I've done it now for two years and finishing my season in a week in Temecula, CA. Next year I am going to run with the Elite starting with my first race in February, 2017, Fort McDowell, AZ. Would love to come in contact with other Spartan athletes.

Replies

• amy_j28
    amy_j28 Posts: 45 Member
    My husband and our bro/sis in law ran a Spartan sprint in July out in MD. It was my first one. I've signed up for another sprint in CO next May!
  • kota4bye
    kota4bye Posts: 809 Member
    I did a Beast last year, need to put one in the books for this year now that it is cooling off
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    edited September 2016
    My husband and I completed a trifecta last year. My first, his second. We were going to this year, but he had to have hip surgery. We are hoping to do it again next year!
  • Congratulations on going for the Spartan race. I did it as a motivator and challenge by a coworker and it was the coolest... Wish i had more muscle strength but wqs amazed at what I was capable when it came to the wall jumps. Loved those.. Did the Spartan Sprint at the world finals in Killington VT like in 2014 i think. Hey....good luck!!
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Feel free to add me. East Coast OCR/Spartan addict here.
  • jkwebb05
    jkwebb05 Posts: 1 Member
    I will be doing my first Spartan race this October in Seattle and am really excited. I too feel like I will become an addict, if anyone wants to do any group races in the future let me know.
  • vs_shine
    vs_shine Posts: 1,322 Member
    hi! Feel free to add me!
    I'm training now for my first Spartan Sprint Race in March!
    So excited.

would LOVE some Spartan friends!!
  • 2shoes123
    2shoes123 Posts: 204 Member
    Congrats on the elite status! I finished my first Spartan Sprint (stadium) on Saturday. I am not very fast and currently cannot even do a pullup but I am hooked. My brother (his first) and my son's best friend (Spartan veteran) were on my team. We are looking to schedule our next sprint.
  • NewMeTomG
    NewMeTomG Posts: 59 Member
    edited September 2016
    I've not done a Spartan Race, but have completed three Tough Mudder Races, but it has been a couple years since the last. Just discovered that Spartan Races were being covered on NBCsn and caught the mud fever again. There is one here in Ohio scheduled for May but there is only a Sprint and a Beast course.

The Warrior Dashes I've done just were too quick for the money. Wondering if the Spartan Sprint is too short as well? What I did like in the description of the Sprint is there are 20-23 obstacles in a 3-5 mile course, but hate to be done in less than an hour. I'm not a big fan of the running as much as I am the obstacles.

Super would be ideal, but that's not offered.

Beast sounds a bit imposing, but the TM's I've done were in the 10-mile range and I've done a few half marathons.

Guess my question is, for those of you who have done Spartan Races, given my background and familiarity with similar races, would you recommend the Sprint or the Beast? And, if you have done the Beast, would you do it again? Fun? Grueling? Too much?
  • jagodfrey08
    tomgrandy wrote: »
    I've not done a Spartan Race, but have completed three Tough Mudder Races, but it has been a couple years since the last. Just discovered that Spartan Races were being covered on NBCsn and caught the mud fever again. There is one here in Ohio scheduled for May but there is only a Sprint and a Beast course.

The Warrior Dashes I've done just were too quick for the money. Wondering if the Spartan Sprint is too short as well? What I did like in the description of the Sprint is there are 20-23 obstacles in a 3-5 mile course, but hate to be done in less than an hour. I'm not a big fan of the running as much as I am the obstacles.

Super would be ideal, but that's not offered.

Beast sounds a bit imposing, but the TM's I've done were in the 10-mile range and I've done a few half marathons.

Guess my question is, for those of you who have done Spartan Races, given my background and familiarity with similar races, would you recommend the Sprint or the Beast? And, if you have done the Beast, would you do it again? Fun? Grueling? Too much?

With your background, you could totally do them. Look, I was almost 200 lbs and out of shape, and I still managed to complete the Beast. It's tough, but it is doable. It's a major psychological trial. The physical part isn't the problem. It's the mental part. We didn't have mile markers for ours last year, which made it very defeating....plus, only one port-a-potty on the whole course. It was tough, but I did it.

The Super was my most favorite, and I hated the Sprint. The Sprint was too short and had a LOT of obstacles packed into a very short race. The Super had just the right amount of distance and obstacles. The Beast was super long, but I survived. I'm not looking forward to doing it again, but I hope to do it again and do better than walking the entire thing the next time.

Bottom line, set it in your mind that you won't accept less than reaching the finish line, and you will do just that.
  • jagodfrey08
    Oh - Don't pick the Super in Wintergreen. It is evil. I am not kidding. We did the Super in Asheville last year because my husband left his soul on the mountain in wintergreen the year prior.
  • NewMeTomG
    NewMeTomG Posts: 59 Member
    Thanks for the insight jagodfrey08 ! It's been two years since my last TM, but I know what I'm getting into with one of those. Spartan seemed doable, but was a little concerned about the Beast. Super sounded perfect, but I think I'm going to go ahead and sign up for the Beast. Once I pay my entry fee, it is always a motivator to get myself in shape. Plenty of time between now and May to get ready.

No worries about Wintergreen - I'm looking at doing a Spartan The Wilds in southern Ohio (hilly but not mountains) since it is the closes to where I live.

Any advice for preparing? Burpees seem to be prevalent. Spear-throwing would take some practice.