Nobody knows what Healthy Food means

Options

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    sanchez253 wrote: »
    It is a sad state of affairs. Agreed.

On a side note, I freakin' love Kind Bars and do consider them to be one of the better snack bar choices out there. I like that they're not overly sweet.

Hey I was just curious about what you thought about Odwalla Bars?

I'm soy intolerant, so I can't eat those. They look tasty, though!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Jakep2323 wrote: »
    Lol..so you dont think labelling food healthy is a good thing? Not everyone possesses the knowledge that you guys do. A balanced diet is all well and good but some people want to eat "healthy foods". I think it is a good move for people that dont know the info you guys have. We have food labelling here and it does help if you are trying to stay under your goals

Jake-- I feel really sorry for someone that has to rely on labeling to hit their goals. I don't think it's going to happen.

Thanks for the pity ;) . What I mean is when im rushing to grab a sandwich in supermarket at lunch having green, yellow and red colour coding helps to see what sarnie I want to aim for. What isnt gonna happen?

Also I think someone who actually needs a label telling them "this is healthy" probably would also be ignorant of the fact they still need variety in their diet for it to actually be healthy. Context and all that jazz, you know the drill.

Well that is a super philosophy - lets do nothing and hope things get better? What would you suggest to help the average guy in the street who doesn't have the know how that you do? (having a discussion, not trying to argue with you mate)

I don't think those people actually exist, and the knowledge of what a healthy diet is, is widely available for everyone already and has been for a long time. Things only get confusing thanks to the dieting industry, calling certain foods, food groups or entire macros as boogeymen.

The basic idea of what is healthy is disseminated in children's programming and in schools. It's really not knowledge that's lacking.
  • emawbey
    emawbey Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Speaking of Kind Bars... find the seasonal offering, the Caramel Almond Pumpkin Spice bar. It's really delicious.

So sad I can't get these in the UK :(
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    It's also alot harder because there are so many more choices. Walking through enormous supermarkets, it's difficult not to be confused. When I was a kid you couldn't buy food from all over the world. Globalization has brought us new products that we know nothing about. There are advantages and disadvantages to this. I think labeling foods to try to help people is too complex and makes the problem worse. Since cooking shows are popular all over the world now, that may be a window to educate the public. Nutrition should be taught in schools at an early age, in my opinion. Then again, there are people that just don't care. We are here because we care.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    What constitutes a healthy diet needs to be first taught in the home...
  • J72FIT
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    The diet industry profits by making people think this is more complex than it actually is...

^^^This. If society gets informed they are all out of a job...
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Lol..so you dont think labelling food healthy is a good thing? Not everyone possesses the knowledge that you guys do. A balanced diet is all well and good but some people want to eat "healthy foods". I think it is a good move for people that dont know the info you guys have. We have food labelling here and it does help if you are trying to stay under your goals

Jake-- I feel really sorry for someone that has to rely on labeling to hit their goals. I don't think it's going to happen.

Thanks for the pity ;) . What I mean is when im rushing to grab a sandwich in supermarket at lunch having green, yellow and red colour coding helps to see what sarnie I want to aim for. What isnt gonna happen?

That to work, isn't going to happen. Nutrition is so complex that you need some knowledge, and you can't rely on single points or "quick" solutions. But nutrition for healthy individuals isn't complicated, so that knowledge can be quite basic.

I agree with you, although many on here believe the simple cico system works and that is a basic points system really (just saying). I'm talking as a novice myself. Obviously growing up I have known that vegetables are "nutritious" (words on here, have to be so careful how I word foods) and foods with high saturated fats are 'less preferable'. Before coming on here I didn't think my food choices were that bad, but since being on here and reading up from magazines and websites I have seen my diet wasn't that great. Basically I'm saying I know what it is to be ignorant and not have a healthy knowledge of diet and nutrition. I agree knowledge needs to be given but any step in the right direction is a start - doing nothing is worst

CICO is for weight management. It has nothing to do with nutrients.

And whose idea of healthy would you go for for labelling those sandwiches?
    Does the tuna sandwich get green because lots of protein? Yellow because it's not so low in calories because of mayonaise? Or maybe even red because it has bread and thus isn't low carb friendly?

It gets broken down here into 4 catagories and each gets a label based on the quantity. Catagories are calories/fat/saturates/salt and this is on pretty much every product in large retailers

Conflating the complex AND complicating the simple. No wonder you are confused, if you think those labels are going to help you. You won't improve your knowledge (or health) until you accept that it's a dead end. Let it go. Instead, learn what normal, balanced meals look like, and how to combine normal, balanced meals into daily menus. It's not difficult. But you have to accept that you have been misguided, and need to think differently.

It's a pervasive trend in society these days that everyone needs everything distilled down to the simplest, most easily digested (pun intended) version of information, and it's quite depressing. That people need a color coded system to tell them whether eating something is a good idea, without having to learn about why it may or may not be a healthful addition to their diet, is yet one more step in this trend of never having to apply critical thinking, to not understanding science, to just blindly following the recommendations of someone else who tells you something is "bad".

It just isn't that difficult but we see people here all the time who are so confused by the information propagated by the media, by blog posts, by broscience articles, by Pinterest infographics, etc that they have no idea what they should be eating. The diet industry profits by making people think this is more complex than it actually is...

I agree, I prefer to listen to people I don't know in forums lol. Can't say that media, blogs, articles, documentaries, the govt, the UK govt are all wrong, but you guys are correct?
    I think an issue here is that you don't realise that not everyone studies up on this stuff. Saying 'oh it is depressing that people down know' - but that is society, you are only as strong as your weakest animals. There are people that need these guidelines, that do need to be led, to be educated. There are people that don't know how to cook so are reliant on ready meals etc

The problem, though, is that people won't become educated by those color codes and whatever else. It's a crutch. If people were going to see the colors, then look to see why that food was made that color, then great. Of course, if people are going to look into the matter, then they probably don't need the color codes in the first place. While it might be better than absolutely nothing, it's still nowhere near "good."
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    People will do more research into what is the next phone they will buy, car, computer, couch, or kitchen appliance, then fuel they will put in their body.
    Food labelling has all the information we need if we take the time to read it. Now, with the internet it really isn't that hard except in the cases of some restaurants and deli type situations, but even then we can make an educated guess.
    We don't need big brother telling us what food to buy any more than we need him telling us what other consumer goods to buy. All the relevant information is already available.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    makingmark wrote: »
    People will do more research into what is the next phone they will buy, car, computer, couch, or kitchen appliance, then fuel they will put in their body.
    Food labelling has all the information we need if we take the time to read it. Now, with the internet it really isn't that hard except in the cases of some restaurants and deli type situations, but even then we can make an educated guess.
    We don't need big brother telling us what food to buy any more than we need him telling us what other consumer goods to buy. All the relevant information is already available.

Yep...
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

That to work, isn't going to happen. Nutrition is so complex that you need some knowledge, and you can't rely on single points or "quick" solutions. But nutrition for healthy individuals isn't complicated, so that knowledge can be quite basic.

I agree with you, although many on here believe the simple cico system works and that is a basic points system really (just saying). I'm talking as a novice myself. Obviously growing up I have known that vegetables are "nutritious" (words on here, have to be so careful how I word foods) and foods with high saturated fats are 'less preferable'. Before coming on here I didn't think my food choices were that bad, but since being on here and reading up from magazines and websites I have seen my diet wasn't that great. Basically I'm saying I know what it is to be ignorant and not have a healthy knowledge of diet and nutrition. I agree knowledge needs to be given but any step in the right direction is a start - doing nothing is worst

Does the tuna sandwich get green because lots of protein? Yellow because it's not so low in calories because of mayonaise? Or maybe even red because it has bread and thus isn't low carb friendly?

It gets broken down here into 4 catagories and each gets a label based on the quantity. Catagories are calories/fat/saturates/salt and this is on pretty much every product in large retailers

Conflating the complex AND complicating the simple. No wonder you are confused, if you think those labels are going to help you. You won't improve your knowledge (or health) until you accept that it's a dead end. Let it go. Instead, learn what normal, balanced meals look like, and how to combine normal, balanced meals into daily menus. It's not difficult. But you have to accept that you have been misguided, and need to think differently.

It's a pervasive trend in society these days that everyone needs everything distilled down to the simplest, most easily digested (pun intended) version of information, and it's quite depressing. That people need a color coded system to tell them whether eating something is a good idea, without having to learn about why it may or may not be a healthful addition to their diet, is yet one more step in this trend of never having to apply critical thinking, to not understanding science, to just blindly following the recommendations of someone else who tells you something is "bad".

It just isn't that difficult but we see people here all the time who are so confused by the information propagated by the media, by blog posts, by broscience articles, by Pinterest infographics, etc that they have no idea what they should be eating. The diet industry profits by making people think this is more complex than it actually is...

I agree, I prefer to listen to people I don't know in forums lol. Can't say that media, blogs, articles, documentaries, the govt, the UK govt are all wrong, but you guys are correct?
    I think an issue here is that you don't realise that not everyone studies up on this stuff. Saying 'oh it is depressing that people down know' - but that is society, you are only as strong as your weakest animals. There are people that need these guidelines, that do need to be led, to be educated. There are people that don't know how to cook so are reliant on ready meals etc

The problem, though, is that people won't become educated by those color codes and whatever else. It's a crutch. If people were going to see the colors, then look to see why that food was made that color, then great. Of course, if people are going to look into the matter, then they probably don't need the color codes in the first place. While it might be better than absolutely nothing, it's still nowhere near "good."

Just to clarify, I mentioned what we have here - but it is not a perfect system and is open to interpretation. I personally don't pay too much attention but I do watch if it is red on salt, mainly cos I don't wanna be dehydrated if I go gym etc. I'll jump to your side for a second and say there will be people who will see fat in red and avoid it thinking that fat makes you fat, which they don't need to do. This is where I mean that education needs to be better.
    My wife disregards the labels entirely :p

You need to replace the salt you lose by sweating. When you exercise, you need more salt, not less. Hope this wasn't judgmental.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options

The colors would basically be arbitrary. Your "green" might be my "red" because of what else we are eating and what our lifestyles are. It's very possible for a double bacon cheeseburger to be a healthier choice than a salad - such as in people whose diets lack in protein, B12, or iron.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Lol..so you dont think labelling food healthy is a good thing?

Not particularly. To put this in context, it's about packaged products being able to market themselves as "healthy." Out of context, who knows whether a Kind bar is healthy or not. IMO, it has some ingredients I like to include in my diet, some I probably get more than enough of anyway, and on its own isn't "healthy," although it can be part of a healthful diet, sure. (I like them, I eat them occasionally, but I actually think my diet would be better if I didn't, since they basically act as candy bars that I eat at work when stress eating and when I don't really need to be eating anything and they are not low cal.)
    We have food labelling here and it does help if you are trying to stay under your goals

Do you seriously think that we don't have food labeling?

Do you have a "healthy" label? If so, out of curiosity, how is it defined/used? (Oh, I see, the green, yellow, red thing.)

IMO, the "healthy" label (just like cereals calling themselves "heart heathy" or whatever) does absolutely nothing to help people make better choices. I think they substitute for reading the label, which is a much better choice (and also prevents people from thinking that something is healthy so they can eat unlimited amounts of it).
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »

The colors would basically be arbitrary. Your "green" might be my "red" because of what else we are eating and what our lifestyles are. It's very possible for a double bacon cheeseburger to be a healthier choice than a salad - such as in people whose diets lack in protein, B12, or iron.

Well yeah - as I said the system in not perfect, it is just what is in place

I think it's highly misleading, and reinforces wrong ideas about foods. You could make a balanced and nutritious diet with mainly "red" foods, and you could make a diet that gives you severe and possibly life-threatening malnutrition with only "green" foods.

And it draws attention to things which are not relevant for everyone. For example, about 9% of the population gain a health benefit from sodium restriction, and 91% don't. To those in the 91%, drawing attention to something that doesn't matter to them makes it harder, not easier to make good choices.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options

If you are a novice, and don't know anything about it, how can it actually help you? If you had no understanding of it, I would think people who are overweight would go in, see a green sticker (is that the good one?) and buy 4 sandwiches, and think because it is green and healthy that they are ok, but in reality they just had 2000 calories of "Healthy" food. The fact is, the until people get some sort of base of knowelege the systems won't work. It's like people think eating a wrap is healthy, because they read it on the internet, or in a magazine, but it's 500 calories more than the sandwhich version of something because the wrap has a ton more calories, and they usually put more food in it.

• French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

As I discovered in grad school, one of the most powerful ways you can learn is by listening to and engaging in debate, and that is what is happening on this forum. We have access to an interesting mix of scientists, trainers, teachers, thinkers, and dedicated people who have successfully lost weight and built muscle. The more you read and participate, the more you will learn. They're not saying that the documentaries or articles are necessarily entirely wrong, they are saying you need to look at them with a critical eye, because they are propaganda tools, and you need to be aware of any potential agenda, and see what is being twisted, hidden or misrepresented, either intentionally or unintentionally. As for the naive, childlike trust in ones government....personally I feel it is my moral obligation as a *citizen* to think critically and rake government diktat over the coals as often and aggressively as possible. You may be surprised to learn that governments have agendas too. That is the point of a classical liberal education, whether one's education stopped with high school or continued through post-doc.

The problem is, to be educated, you have to WANT to be educated. You have to WANT to watch the docs, read the articles, listen to the debate, and join the debate. I was given the basic tools to read and write and understand basic science in elementary school. I was given the tools to think, question and debate in high school. But the passion to do so has to come from within. A lot of the people who most need help are utterly unreachable because they simply don't care. I think it was Robert Heinlein that had to quote about not attempting to teach a pig something it has no interest or capacity in doing, because it wastes your time and annoys the pig. How are you going to walk into some council flats in, say, Glasgow (or a trailer park in Harlan County, Kentucky), and ram that knowledge and education down people's throats, and then make them care? Even my 10 year old knows that eating too many calories and too much bad food makes you fat and unhealthy--she learned that in 4th grade.

The people you are arguing with on here might be random strangers, and they sure like to debate, but they also put a ton of effort, patience, knowledge, passion, and compassion into teaching the newer and less informed people who make their way to this site, as well as their own families. That's pretty awesome, and something I have personally benefited from and admire greatly.

Wow, you right really nicely and have the best grasp I have seen of debates and discussion. You have a decent amount of humility which makes this a great post. The guys you refere to will come for you now though for saying certain food is 'bad' lol.
    I have learned quite a bit from people on here and it is good for that at times, but it is just another source of info as you say and you need to get a balanced amount if info normally to see the big picture :) Really nice post and can't argue with it at all

Ha ha--they are probably laughing because a lot of them have seen me in b---- mode, with a significant lack of humility! I do enjoy me a debate. They already know I've corrected my daughter on "bad" foods ("not bad, honey, just ones you can't fit into your goals").
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

As I discovered in grad school, one of the most powerful ways you can learn is by listening to and engaging in debate, and that is what is happening on this forum. We have access to an interesting mix of scientists, trainers, teachers, thinkers, and dedicated people who have successfully lost weight and built muscle. The more you read and participate, the more you will learn. They're not saying that the documentaries or articles are necessarily entirely wrong, they are saying you need to look at them with a critical eye, because they are propaganda tools, and you need to be aware of any potential agenda, and see what is being twisted, hidden or misrepresented, either intentionally or unintentionally. As for the naive, childlike trust in ones government....personally I feel it is my moral obligation as a *citizen* to think critically and rake government diktat over the coals as often and aggressively as possible. You may be surprised to learn that governments have agendas too. That is the point of a classical liberal education, whether one's education stopped with high school or continued through post-doc.

The problem is, to be educated, you have to WANT to be educated. You have to WANT to watch the docs, read the articles, listen to the debate, and join the debate. I was given the basic tools to read and write and understand basic science in elementary school. I was given the tools to think, question and debate in high school. But the passion to do so has to come from within. A lot of the people who most need help are utterly unreachable because they simply don't care. I think it was Robert Heinlein that had to quote about not attempting to teach a pig something it has no interest or capacity in doing, because it wastes your time and annoys the pig. How are you going to walk into some council flats in, say, Glasgow (or a trailer park in Harlan County, Kentucky), and ram that knowledge and education down people's throats, and then make them care? Even my 10 year old knows that eating too many calories and too much bad food makes you fat and unhealthy--she learned that in 4th grade.

The people you are arguing with on here might be random strangers, and they sure like to debate, but they also put a ton of effort, patience, knowledge, passion, and compassion into teaching the newer and less informed people who make their way to this site, as well as their own families. That's pretty awesome, and something I have personally benefited from and admire greatly.

i-love-this-dqti4u.jpg
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If anyone was interested, this is the guidelines we have in place and why. The UK has slightly more than the EU requirement and as people have said below there is even an acknowledgement that the RI is not relevant for everybody as individual circumstances differ. https://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/healthyeating/labels.html?limit=1&start=1
    (this is for info only - not me saying it is perfect lol)

I looked at this, and this is how the Kind bar would fare (I used the new Almond Pumpkin Spice one, but they are all similar):

Fat: RED
    Sat fat: RED
    Sugar: AMBER
    Salt: GREEN

I wouldn't find that especially helpful. I would find looking at the calories per serving (a bar) and reading the ingredients, as well as looking at the actual numbers helpful, which is why I've done this with bars that I consider eating.