Feeling Uncomfortable in the Gym

Options

Replies

• wanzik
    wanzik Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    aashwill wrote: »
    What type of man would be offended by a women's only section of the gym? Unbelievable.

I get men being off put by it "double standards at all"- but truly offended? lol- it's comical.

THAT being said- I find women's only sections offensive- but it's mostly because I take it in context of me rather than as someone else who might be shy or insecure.
    To me the weights are smaller and inadequate and feed into the misnomer that women train less hard- need less weigh and are more into cardio and like pink things.

I hate pink- and I need 45's to bench.

but- that's MY perception- rather than as someone insecure- I can get why someone would be more comfortable there- but at some point- you gotta realize the gym is full of narcissistic people looking at themselves. (not saying everyone is- but- %'s are high).

I think people don't realize to- especially coming off of a heavy cardio style workout- when you're lifting- there is way more lull.
    People watching is part of lifting- you people watch between sets- and it makes people uncomfortable and you think you're being judged- you aren't- they are just watching- they don't care- merely occupying time till the next lift.

#nobigdeal.

You'll be happy to know that I can't think of a single pink item in our "private center." ;)
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    wanzik wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    aashwill wrote: »
    What type of man would be offended by a women's only section of the gym? Unbelievable.

I get men being off put by it "double standards at all"- but truly offended? lol- it's comical.

THAT being said- I find women's only sections offensive- but it's mostly because I take it in context of me rather than as someone else who might be shy or insecure.
    To me the weights are smaller and inadequate and feed into the misnomer that women train less hard- need less weigh and are more into cardio and like pink things.

I hate pink- and I need 45's to bench.

but- that's MY perception- rather than as someone insecure- I can get why someone would be more comfortable there- but at some point- you gotta realize the gym is full of narcissistic people looking at themselves. (not saying everyone is- but- %'s are high).

I think people don't realize to- especially coming off of a heavy cardio style workout- when you're lifting- there is way more lull.
    People watching is part of lifting- you people watch between sets- and it makes people uncomfortable and you think you're being judged- you aren't- they are just watching- they don't care- merely occupying time till the next lift.

#nobigdeal.

You'll be happy to know that I can't think of a single pink item in our "private center." ;)

That's what she said.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Find a PLANET FITNESS. They are very strict with their dress code. You must be covered up. Women cannot show their midriff and men can't wear wife beaters. Everyone has to wear short sleeve shirts. Their whole philosophy is that no one should ever feel intimidated in a gym, and it should be a place you want to go. They just have a whole different culture than any other gym out there. Maybe there is one near you.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Find a PLANET FITNESS. They are very strict with their dress code. You must be covered up. Women cannot show their midriff and men can't wear wife beaters. Everyone has to wear short sleeve shirts. Their whole philosophy is that no one should ever feel intimidated in a gym, and it should be a place you want to go. They just have a whole different culture than any other gym out there. Maybe there is one near you.

Locations vary on equipment so it depends on what your goals are. If it's to do cardio on the machines, then it should be OK but if you are looking to strength train, it may not be the best location. Some places are better equipped than others.
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options

I want to argue against this soooo bad, but she's right the dress code will be better. Also since you're just starting out you can look into some good dumbbell routines. I think Planet Fitness has at least 75lb dumbbells.
  • wi_maint_man
    wi_maint_man Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Don't compare your self to anyone else, and remember that some people may be in good shape due to genetics which makes for easier gains
  • llwolford
    llwolford Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    There has to be a smaller gym even in a larger city. I have been fortunate to find gyms that were very friendly and supportive. Do not give up. That one was just not the right fit. I have felt the same way. In fact, I barely made it through the door of one before I turned around. I hope that you find a supportive group of people to continue your current success. You are doing an amazing job becoming a healthier version of you.
  • PosterPens
    PosterPens Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    everyone feels uncomfortable at the gym at first. remember though, each one of those people is focusing on themselves. if anything, they give you major props for doing what youre doing. dont let it affect you, because in the end, youre doing this for yourself (as they are themselves). It gets easier to ignore as you progress towards your goal. Stay strong and keep at it!!!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    I can't answer for the ones taking selfies at your gym but I can tell you that there's no way I'm wearing legging and a T-shirt in a heated room at my gym so I wear a sports bra and yoga shorts (what you revered to as short shorts is called yoga shorts or pole pants)
    But we don't usually stand in the lifting area taking selfies in the mirrors like that.
    However.. I do pole dancing as well, and then I'm standing in the studio wearing that attire.

Maybe these girls where warm ? Maybe they like to show off their hard work? Maybe they have a very low self esteem and have to fish for compliments from the mountain of muscles at the gym? Or maybe they just don't care what other people think of them.

What ever the reason, don't let that discourage you from working out. Working out is the best drug :D
  • IndySue13
    IndySue13 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You should be proud of yourself for losing 110 pounds. Hold your head up, put on headphones with your favorite upbeat music before you even enter the gym, eyes straight forward and keep reminding yourself where you were, where you are now and where you are going to be. Best of luck to you!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Sounds a little exaggerated but regardless...don't worry what others think. Wear something you are comfortable in, put on some music, and get to work. I was in the same boat 2 years ago and now people ask if I'm a trainer at the gym.

• Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I agree with the suggestion to check out a Planet Fitness. It's possible that you could outgrow what they offer at some point if you get really serious with weight lifting, but unless and until that happens, it's cheap and has the atmosphere you're looking for.
  • emjaca
    emjaca Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think you just need to be focused on you and your workout - go spend 5 mins on every machine - see what ones are easy for you and just focus on exercising on them, find yourself a little routine, mentally get in your zone and you will be fine. You have the same right to be there just as much as them remember - everyone is in there for the same reason. The more you go the more you wont feel so bothered by everyone else. And knowing that you are exercising and doing the best you can for your body will make you feel great. Good luck.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i can't speak about pf, but from my other experience with franchise-chain gyms, keep an eye on what you're signing if you do check them out. it seems to be very similar to signing contracts with cellphone providers, i.e. it's not always simple to get out of them if you decide the place isn't for you.
  • Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    It's easy to quit but they charge an annual fee, and if you leave before the annual fee has been charged, you have to pay it anyway. So you either leave in a February or you pay an extra annual fee (which is about $30 I think? I'm not sure if that's exactly it, but it's a chunk of money but not a huge amount.)
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    OMG is anyone else suddenly wanting tootsie rolls?
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

They also have a philosophy that you shouldn't work hard, push your limits or challenge yourself. The hypocrisy of not judging people but then stereotyping people by their choice of gym attire is laughable.
  • madamadams22
    madamadams22 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I realize I am a bit late to the discussion, but have you considered finding a workout buddy who might help you feel more comfortable? That helped me a lot. I have been overweight and avoiding gyms for that exact reason for years. Also a 21-year old female here. My boyfriend eventually got me to go with him and a friend a couple of weeks ago. At first it was super intimidating for exactly the reasons you mentioned--everyone was so fit and confident. Even the guys who were with me had been working out seven years longer than me so I am absolutely pathetic in comparison. But they have just been so encouraging to me, and after the first few days I stopped dreading going. I wish you all the confidence and good luck in your goals! You've got this!