Why do people say weight loss is 70-80% diet and 20-30% exercise?

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I try to create a deficit through exercise rather than reducing calories. I would however be in big trouble if i got injured or couldn't keep up with my current exercise rate..

• Relaxingmind
    Relaxingmind Posts: 55 Member
    edited September 2016
    Ok thanks for explaining it, guys :) I get the idea now. As for the possible injury, I think I'll be ok. If not, lowering my intake shouldn't be a problem as my appetite has lowered dramatically since switching to an active lifestyle and my past history which ill mention shortly. It would probably take a while to switch back if I were to go temporarily sedentary from injury. Today I hit the weights with a mix of cardio and was at only 1,200 calories at 10:00pm despite burning around 2,500 according to fitbit. I just now force fed myself around 500 more. Question... Is starvation mode real or a myth? I'm currently under the impression it's real, which is why I often force feed to reach my previous/sedentary TDEE. If it's not real, I'll just stop the force feeding and stick with a 800-1,000 deficit. There was a time in my life 2 years ago where I was anorexic so I'm wondering if that has something to do with my small appetite. I'm trying to build muscle and get lean because I used to be underweight. I'm but somewhat skinny-fat. I've been told that my muscle is underneath the fat and I have to eat at a small-medium deficit so it will go away and my muscle will be visible. Maybe I've been misinformed. Idk... I'm still kinda new to weight lifting. Used to be a complete cardio junky.
  • theclaw900
    theclaw900 Posts: 320 Member
    You can't out run a donut.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Realistically, most people don't have three hours a day to devote to exercise. Between full-time jobs, children to care for, home, yard, car, school, errands, and all other adult responsibilities, it is much easier to be mindful of food. I can't imagine where I would come up with three hours and I'm done raising children and don't watch TV.
  • a45cal
    a45cal Posts: 85 Member
    Ok thanks for explaining it, guys :) I get the idea now. As for the possible injury, I think I'll be ok. If not, lowering my intake shouldn't be a problem as my appetite has lowered dramatically since switching to an active lifestyle and my past history which ill mention shortly. It would probably take a while to switch back if I were to go temporarily sedentary from injury. Today I hit the weights with a mix of cardio and was at only 1,200 calories at 10:00pm despite burning around 2,500 according to fitbit. I just now force fed myself around 500 more. Question... Is starvation mode real or a myth? I'm currently under the impression it's real, which is why I often force feed to reach my previous/sedentary TDEE. If it's not real, I'll just stop the force feeding and stick with a 800-1,000 deficit. There was a time in my life 2 years ago where I was anorexic so I'm wondering if that has something to do with my small appetite. I'm trying to build muscle and get lean because I used to be underweight. I'm but somewhat skinny-fat. I've been told that my muscle is underneath the fat and I have to eat at a small-medium deficit so it will go away and my muscle will be visible. Maybe I've been misinformed. Idk... I'm still kinda new to weight lifting. Used to be a complete cardio junky.

Starvation mode is a myth.

But 800-1,000 calorie deficit is really large, and you make it sound like you're basically just wanting to stay around your current weight but look leaner. If that's the case, then a huge deficit like that isn't what you're looking for. Big deficits like that are for people who are 50+ pounds over their ideal weight.

If you're not currently over a healthy weight for your height, you don't need to eat a deficit at all. You'd do much better with recomposition -- eating around maintenance while lifting weights. That allows the muscles to grow a bit and become more noticeable, while your body burns off the excess fat. It's a slow process, but the end result gets you that "toned" look most women are going for.
  • Birddog6424
    Birddog6424 Posts: 29 Member
    I don't know many people who can exercise 2 to 3 hours a day.

I can't even think of anyone who trains that much. Tour de France riders don't train that much. Marathoners don't train that much. Pro bodybuilders lift for about an hour, maybe longer I'd they are running Test cycles. There has to be recovery time or the body just gets run down.

Being a long time marathoner, I'm amazed anyone can accomplish it without chemical enhancement. I can run 26 miles in that time. But there is no way in hell I could do it every day. I wouldn't even run 10 miles every day.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    AliceDark wrote: »

Wait...

You have a history of anorexia, you're doing 2-3 hours of primarily cardio a day, and some days you need to force-feed yourself to get over 1200 calories. That's not a healthy situation.

Starvation mode is a myth in the way you're talking about it; eating less won't make you magically store fat. However, malnourishment and gradually sliding back into under-eating are very real.

Anorexics and people who have gotten down to low body weights without doing things to protect their muscles (like lifting and eating enough protein) lose muscle and bone density along with the fat they lose. It's possible that you do need to gain back some muscle mass (and you won't see much muscle even after losing more fat if it's not under there), but we don't know if that's the case for you. If it were me, I would eat at maintenance, stop doing the cardio and just lift for 6 months. I'd let my body weight stabilize and work on developing some muscle, and then reevaluate after 6 months.

I agree. This feels like a very slippery slope to me.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    I don't know many people who can exercise 2 to 3 hours a day.

I can't even think of anyone who trains that much. Tour de France riders don't train that much. Marathoners don't train that much. Pro bodybuilders lift for about an hour, maybe longer I'd they are running Test cycles. There has to be recovery time or the body just gets run down.

Being a long time marathoner, I'm amazed anyone can accomplish it without chemical enhancement. I can run 26 miles in that time. But there is no way in hell I could do it every day. I wouldn't even run 10 miles every day.

High level competitive swimming comes to mind. Based on a former friend who was working on breaking into the elite ranks, they don't do it every day (but nearly). They spend more than just a couple of hours on the days they do. She was usually at practice from 5am-noon. A lot of that time is working on technique or endurance with brief bouts of speed work.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Its a bunch of crap. It comes down to the person. You can lose weight with just diet or with exercise .. or combo of both.

nope it's not...it comes down to what you can sustain.

What if comes into play...

What if you can't exercise for 6 weeks due to injury
    what if you decide not to exercise
    what if you can't exercise
    what if you are in a wheel chair..

what if you don't have time
    what if
    what if
    what if...

you can lose weight with just exercise or just diet or both but more often than not the exercise gets old or isn't done anymore etc and people don't get how to control the weight gain without exercise...
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    For me diet has been 100% the solution. I have lost 100 pounds in 8 months just be changing my eating. I am not starving, have no cravings and have NOT exercised at all
  • Relaxingmind
    edited October 2016
    AliceDark wrote: »

Wait...

You have a history of anorexia, you're doing 2-3 hours of primarily cardio a day, and some days you need to force-feed yourself to get over 1200 calories. That's not a healthy situation.

Starvation mode is a myth in the way you're talking about it; eating less won't make you magically store fat. However, malnourishment and gradually sliding back into under-eating are very real.

Anorexics and people who have gotten down to low body weights without doing things to protect their muscles (like lifting and eating enough protein) lose muscle and bone density along with the fat they lose. It's possible that you do need to gain back some muscle mass (and you won't see much muscle even after losing more fat if it's not under there), but we don't know if that's the case for you. If it were me, I would eat at maintenance, stop doing the cardio and just lift for 6 months. I'd let my body weight stabilize and work on developing some muscle, and then reevaluate after 6 months.

Basically, 2 years ago is when I was anorexic. The good thing is I've been doing exercise again (mainly cardio with a bit of light weights) and trained myself to eat more than I used to. But I'm still "fat" despite being thin. And I was told the only way to get rid of fat is a calorie deficit, which is why I'm doing a lot of exercise (without eating calories back, which is easy with my low appetite). But at the same time, I want to get lean. It's like a catch 22...

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    edited October 2016
    Like someone said above, if you are not actually over weight, you don't need to eat at a deficit. There is no benefit to over training. Excess cardio in a very large deficit will lead to fat and muscle loss. Remember, your heart is a muscle and you can damage it by chronically under-eating and over-exercising. (And you risk losing hair, brittle nails, hormonal disruption...) Your best bet would be to find your maintenance calories and start a lifting routine. You did say your goal was to build muscle, correct? Also, you can still lose fat at maintenance while lifting, it just takes longer.
  • Relaxingmind
    edited October 2016
    Like someone said above, if you are not actually over wight, you don't need to eat at a deficit. There is no benefit to over training. Excess cardio in a very large deficit will lead to fat and muscle loss. Your best bet would be to find your maintenance calories and start a lifting routine. You did say your goal was to build muscle, correct?

Yes, I want to gain muscle but get rid of this fat I have. I'm a size zero actually but if I had to guess, my body fat is probably in the mid-high 20's. I have a little belly pudge, tiny love handles, squishy bottom, soft thighs, and so on. Before I was anorexic, I was overweight. I DID lose a lot of weight but am unhappy with the results :(
  • beckygammon
    beckygammon Posts: 73 Member
    What this saying actually means is that you cannot out-train a bad diet. Basically if you are going to do one or the other, diet or exercise, it is best (for weight loss) to start with diet as you could train all day and still not lose weight if you aren't eating less. You are doing the same as me, I eat my sedentary TDEE and then workout and use that as my deficit. However, just one suggestion, 2-3 hours is a lot of exercise to do, just remember that your body adapts very easily to what you do, the more you do, the more your body will get used to this and you will have to continue this during maintenance, so just be careful how much you do. :smile: Great job!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Like someone said above, if you are not actually over wight, you don't need to eat at a deficit. There is no benefit to over training. Excess cardio in a very large deficit will lead to fat and muscle loss. Your best bet would be to find your maintenance calories and start a lifting routine. You did say your goal was to build muscle, correct?

Yes, I want to gain muscle but get rid of this fat I have. I'm a size zero actually but if I had to guess, my body fat is probably in the mid-high 20's. I have a little belly pudge, tiny love handles, squishy bottom, soft thighs, and so on. Before I was anorexic, I was overweight. I DID lose a lot of weight but am unhappy with the results :(

Well, that's exactly what I was saying, but you seemed to miss the second half of my post. Find your maintenance calories and start a lifting routine. Its called a recomp...build muscle, lose fat while maintaining your weight.
  • Relaxingmind

Well, that's exactly what I was saying, but you seemed to miss the second half of my post. Find your maintenance calories and start a lifting routine. Its called a recomp...build muscle, lose fat while maintaining your weight.

Ok thanks! Do you have any links that give further details, including suggested amount of protein fat and carbs etc?
  • beckygammon
    beckygammon Posts: 73 Member
    To build muscle (except in newbie gains) you need to be in a surplus. Also if you have been anorexic, depending on how long for) you will have very little muscle mass. You also need to be EXTREMELY careful overdoing cardio as anorexia also reduces your heart muscle (again, depending on how long you suffered) and too much cardio (like anything) is not a good thing, you could potentially have a heart attack. Just be careful, nourish your body, and seek professional advice from a doctor that is fully informed of your past eating disorder. Now may be the time to lift weights and eat healthy food in a small - medium surplus - this would increase you muscle mass and bone density (both of which can be severely damaged during anorexia). But of course this is just a suggestion.