What even is a strength training program?

Options
I'm (clearly) very new to strength training. I'm a cardio gal, but I'm looking for something new and to build muscle. I joined the gym today, used the machines, and now feel sore (but good). What's wrong with doing that a few times a week and pushing myself each time? Everyone talks about strength training programs. Do I need one? How do I choose one? Do I follow it exactly? I have no idea what I'm doing, please help.

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    The problem with "just using the machines" is that you might not get a balanced workout. Using a well-established program would give you a very well-rounded and balanced workout that will build strength evenly throughout your body. Not only that, but it tells you how to progress and gives you a weekly plan. This is important for proper progression and to ensure your muscles get rest between workouts. I've followed Stronglifts 5x5, but there are many other good programs.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    A program is good so you aren't just randomly doing exercises. A good progressive lifting program is more effective so you are hitting all your muscles but not overtraining some because you are making *kitten* up. Good beginner programs are StrongLifts 5x5 & New Rules if Lifting For Women. Machines are fine if it's what you have access to but a solid barbell routine gives you more bang for your buck.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    No plan usually leads to no results. Basically you're winging it and that results in minimal results. You can work on machines, but machines don't help with using ancillary muscles (like core).
    So a strength program works on improving your strength and retaining muscle if you're on a weight loss program. If you're on a weight gaining program, you'll build muscle. There are some easy programs to begin with like Starting Strength and Stronglifts 5x5.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Kelll12123
    Kelll12123 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I'm looking at stronglifts and basically you do five sets and five reps of three exercises, right? Do I do anything more than that? How long does that take each day. What if I also want to run?
    I've never felt so stupid about anything in my adult life. I know what I want to look like, but I have no idea how to get there.
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    You don't have to do any other lifts than what the program calls for. Stronglifts doesn't take more than 30 min a day. You can run on your off days from lifting. Or, I like to do cardio in the morning, lift in the evening (or vice versa).
  • Kelll12123
    Options
    And that's more effective than going to the gym and lifting random stuff for 60 minutes a few times a week?
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Yes! I would say that once you progress with weight, it usually takes at least 45 minutes, including your rest time. (At least for me it does). On that program, you only lift 3 days a week on non-consecutive days (like M, W, F or whatever best suits your schedule).

If you want to run and do cardio, that's fine too! I would say do your cardio after weights though. Some people prefer to do both on the same day and some people prefer to alternate days between running and lifting. It's up to you and based on your schedule, personal preference, and how you feel.

Good luck!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I assume the gym has machines that work all muscle groups, so if you're using all the machines, then it's not really random. You'll just need to get an idea of the weight to use and reps, but that's pretty easy to come by.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    It's always good to have a plan to follow. SL 5x5 has a free app that tracks your progress. It's also a program of compound lifts which do much more for you than a bunch of random stuff. A lot of gym machines are for isolation work-biceps, triceps, thighs, abs, etc. you can add some isolation work in once you've done SL for a while & feel like you want to. If you are a new lifter, the basic program to be plenty at first.
    BTW, there is a group on MFP for women doing SL 5x5 & it's great.
  • Coachjr29
    Coachjr29 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    SL 5x5 is great for starting strength training. I would add body weight exercises in. If you struggle with them at first, do alternate ones to help develop the exercise. The point of body weight exercises is that it also builds core strength.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Some people prefer to run on their days off of lifting but others prefer to do it afterwards on the same day so they can get a true rest day for their muscles the following day.

What ever fits your goals and timeline, it's up to you.

If you choose to do both in the same day, just do the one you want to progress at more first.
  • Kelll12123
    Options
    Okay!! Thanks everyone. I plan to start stronglifts tomorrow. I'm sort of worried about my form and making sure I'm doing everything right, but I suppose that will come with time and plenty of YouTube videos. I'm really excited to have something new to work on. I have soooo much to learn.
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    Just make sure you start light, lighter even than you think you should. It's kind of a head trip at first, but it helps you get the form down before adding weight so you don't hurt yourself.
  • ThePoeToaster
    ThePoeToaster Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Look into circuit training. Define your goals. A bodybuilding routine is drastically different from someone who is a runner trying to get stronger.
  • Coachjr29
    Options
    I don't think anyone should bench until they can do a proper push-up. And don't squat until you can do an airsquat. The knees should not go in. I would use bands for airsquats to help build the hips.
  • Anvil_Head
    Anvil_Head Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Coachjr29 wrote: »
    SL 5x5 is great for starting strength training. I would add body weight exercises in. If you struggle with them at first, do alternate ones to help develop the exercise. The point of body weight exercises is that it also builds core strength.

You don't think that squats, deadlifts, OHP and rows build core strength?
  • Coachjr29
    Options
    Never said they didnt. Of course they do but in my experience working with new lifters they are able to perform the barbell lifts in a more correct, stable and safe fashion when they start doing the body weight lifts first. Those body weight exercises build BASE core strength to better perform the barbell lifts. That's my point.
  • zbobbsemple
    zbobbsemple Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    To much cardio can kill your muscle mass so you want to do a variety in your regiman of cardio/strength. Make sure to stretch before and after to prevent injury. When strentching hold it for a 5-10 count believe me it matters. You can do total body strength or splits where you breakdown upper body, lower body or push muscle/pull muscles on seperate days. Don't work the same area 2 days in a row because overuse causes injury. Bodybuilding.com is a great site to learn about weight training.
  • stephenmoralee
    stephenmoralee Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hi, for strength Training you Need a Programme and you have to follow that very strictly.
    Thats the only way you will be able to control amd measure your Progress.
    Start of with light weights on the machines & as has already been said here get the bodyweight excercises right before you move on to Lifting with barbells and dumbells.
    If you are going to do Cardio & Weights in one day (i wouldnt reccoment that at your stage) you should do weights first then Cardio.
    try and split your Training so you don't do both on one day (as you are starting out that yopuld be better for you)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    To much cardio can kill your muscle mass so you want to do a variety in your regiman of cardio/strength. Make sure to stretch before and after to prevent injury. When strentching hold it for a 5-10 count believe me it matters. You can do total body strength or splits where you breakdown upper body, lower body or push muscle/pull muscles on seperate days. Don't work the same area 2 days in a row because overuse causes injury. Bodybuilding.com is a great site to learn about weight training.

Cardio does not kill your gains. You'd have to do an absurd amount while in a huge caloric deficit.